Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
Rybarczyk
Post subject: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 8th, 2016, 10:53 pm
How do I draw in Shipbucket format? Now don't go on the assumption that I'm asking how I can get better, I'm completely new and I am asking HOW to draw in "Shipbucket format". If someone could give me a basic tutorial, that would be great. I have some pretty nice ocean liner designs that I would like to make. Most of my ships that I draw pen-and-paper are ocean liners that draw inspiration from ships like the Normandie, United States, and other art-deco style ships.

[Profile] [Quote]
Skyder2598
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 9th, 2016, 6:58 am
Hi Rybarczyk,

it's pretty easy to draw in shipbucket style ;-)
For the software use Microsoft Paint or the freeware Paint.net (if you need layers, would be good if you want to put your paper drawings
in the background for references). Then look at this tutorial, it's FD scale but you'll get a basic idea. For standard parts (weapons, life rafts etc.) dig trough the part sheet forum and for presentation use the common templates (click).

Then start drawing and share your work and you'll get all the feedback and hints you want :-)

And don't miss the style standards :!: :)

~~Normerr~~FD stuff~~

[Profile] [Quote]
Rybarczyk
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 9th, 2016, 10:42 pm
Skyder2598 wrote:
Hi Rybarczyk,

For the software use Microsoft Paint or the freeware Paint.net (if you need layers, would be good if you want to put your paper drawings
in the background for references). Then look at this tutorial, it's FD scale but you'll get a basic idea. For standard parts (weapons, life rafts etc.) dig trough the part sheet forum and for presentation use the common templates (click).

Then start drawing and share your work and you'll get all the feedback and hints you want :-)

Thank you so much!

I only have one problem--I'm on Mac, and cannot afford a PC at the time being. Is there any paint application/website that will do the same thing and is compatible with Mac? And also, in the tutorial you linked me to, I have a question. What if I want to make one of my own personal designs in Shipbucket format? I (think) have the basics of it, and I might make a small monitor just to get started. But I do have a bunch of my own designs that I want to upload to Shipbucket. (not all of them are hyper-realistic).

[Profile] [Quote]
Rybarczyk
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 9th, 2016, 10:54 pm
Skyder2598 wrote:
Hi Rybarczyk,

Oh, and another question, how do I "copy-paste" turrets, boats, and other parts from the parts sheets?

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 10th, 2016, 12:02 am
Hi and welcome!

In addition to Skyder's thorough introduction, and in reply to some of your additional questions:
Rybarczyk wrote:
I only have one problem--I'm on Mac, and cannot afford a PC at the time being. Is there any paint application/website that will do the same thing and is compatible with Mac?
Looks like the GIMP has a Mac OS-X version. It is a fairly potent 2D graphics platform, comparable to Photoshop for a beginner user. If you're looking for something simpler, I can't help much further, being completely unfamiliar with the Mac platform and applications.
Rybarczyk wrote:
And also, in the tutorial you linked me to, I have a question. What if I want to make one of my own personal designs in Shipbucket format? I (think) have the basics of it, and I might make a small monitor just to get started. But I do have a bunch of my own designs that I want to upload to Shipbucket. (not all of them are hyper-realistic).
Best thing to keep in mind is to stick to the templates. They are fairly self-explanatory, just pick the size best fitting your drawing (don't forget to leave space for the title), follow the instructions and remove the orange text and markings afterwards.
Please post your creations to the beginners' section at first until you can work out the style, then the next "normal" fictional ship drawings go into the Personal Designs folder as long as they qualify as ship material, while those that have no hope of fitting the Shipbucket guidelines due to content or style should be posted to the Non-Shipbucket Drawings folder. Give a look to the different sub-boards to get a feel of what goes where.
Rybarczyk wrote:
Oh, and another question, how do I "copy-paste" turrets, boats, and other parts from the parts sheets?
That's a very generic question that hinges a lot on the image editor you use. As a rule, select and copy the part of the original image that interests you, paste (preferably in a new layer) and move to the right position on your image to be edited. Pay attention to the transparent background color in your selection, but how to do that exactly depends on the software you use. Or am I missing a more specific aspect of the process?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rybarczyk
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 10th, 2016, 12:26 am
citizen lambda wrote:
Rybarczyk wrote:
That's a very generic question that hinges a lot on the image editor you use. As a rule, select and copy the part of the original image that interests you, paste (preferably in a new layer) and move to the right position on your image to be edited. Pay attention to the transparent background color in your selection, but how to do that exactly depends on the software you use. Or am I missing a more specific aspect of the process?
Yes, indeed. What I am asking is how I transfer the part to my drawing. You know, It's on a sheet, that I know, but how do I take the part from the sheet and put it on my ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 10th, 2016, 5:57 am
cut/copy - paste

each pixel art program contains a 'select' tool that allows you to create a box around the part you want, then you can copy the contents of your box, open your drawings work page and paste the item in there. The paste function will also allow you to move the part around your drawing and place it where you want it to go.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cheenoat
Post subject: Re: How do I draw in Shipbucket format?Posted: November 28th, 2016, 9:57 pm
I use pixlereditor online. It works pretty well, but it does lack some features.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: