Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ] 
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 5:32 pm
Since this was my first real attemt at producing a ship, I decided to begin by modifying an existing ship (Greece, SS Margarita L. by Navarchos https://i.imgsafe.org/63c3311.png). The lore behind this AU design is that the Spanish Second Republic found itself struggling when moving troops after the long Civil War that had destroyed half the country. Because of this, the decision was made to assemble a transport fleet capable of moving both cargo and personnel while still being able to provide itself defense in the form of cannons, a couple of anti air turrets, a float plane and casemate guns. The ship would be a conventional cargo/passenger ship (Greece, SS Margarita L. by Navarchos) that would be modified up to military standards, adding radars, guns and other equipment that would make the vessel a true Armada Ship. Through this design concept, the Spanish Republic created a highly versatile and cheap battlegroup of relatively well defended ships, that would go on to become the core of the Special Missions and Support Battlegroup, capable of supporting other battlegroups while still being ablo to carry out both defensive and offensive manouvers.

http://imgur.com/ey6fsZN

[ img ]

Also, please bear in mind that this is my first attemt at anything in the Shipbucket community. Feedback is welcome.
P.S. Do expect more desings like this one. It was fun modifying the ship to what I thought would be a cool concept.

Updates at my DeviantArt.

Last edited by CaptainPaulov on June 28th, 2017, 5:54 pm, edited 7 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 5:35 pm
I think it would work better if you put this link between the brackets http://i.imgur.com/ey6fsZN.png (so the image itself and not the page it is on)

The radars and weapons on board cover a few nations and decades, I do not know if this was your intention?

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 5:41 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
I think it would work better if you put this link between the brackets http://i.imgur.com/ey6fsZN.png (so the image itself and not the page it is on)

The radars and weapons on board cover a few nations and decades, I do not know if this was your intention?
I do know that the weapons and radar shown in the ship are from different decades and different nations, but I was going more for the aesthetics of the ship rather than historical accuracy. Also, the Spanish Republic received help from many nations, however little, during the Spanish Civil War; so I'm running with the idea that even after the civil war, Spain receives equipment from different allies to create their own domestic ships.
Btw, what do you mean by "in between the brackets"?

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 5:43 pm
between the image tags, sorry. (the brackets)

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 5:46 pm
acelanceloet wrote: *
between the image tags, sorry. (the brackets)
Ah ok, I get it XD. I think it is now solved. Thank you for pointing it out.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 28th, 2017, 8:38 pm
I like the idea but,
- Would it not be better to drop all the heavy guns down to main deck level and cut away the ships superstructure to make room?
- I think the casements could be improved, raised and or replaced by main deck guns?
- Could you fit fake covers so it can look like a unarmed ship for raiding?
- Paint it all the same?

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 30th, 2017, 8:57 pm
Some more AU lore to this ship:
Based on the A. Cánovas Class design (Greece, SS Margarita L. by Navarchos https://i.imgsafe.org/63c3311.png), the Libertas Class was the ulterior development of the A Cánovas Class, selected for its reliability and sturdiness, and was ment to carry more units than its predecessor by sacrificing several casemate and AA guns as well as cannons. By lengthening the A. Cánovas Class and reducing the superstructure, the stern section gained a large amount of space where more materiel could be stored for transport. A side ramp was installed in order to facilitate the access of vehicles and movable cargo to the beneath deck cargo holds, while several moving cranes were installed in order to load containers on the ship without relying on ports or third party services to load the cargo for them. These new ships, introduced 7 years after the first A. Cánovas Class vessel was built, received major updates in the areas of fire control, radar, missile guidance and missile ordenance. These updates focused on the improvement of the vessels defensive capabilities rather than the offensive capabilities, since new vessels were being produced that were far more proficient at that than the Libertas Class vessels could ever be.

http://imgur.com/Iaedywd
[ img ]

The original ship: Greece, SS Margarita L. by Navarchos https://i.imgsafe.org/63c3311.png
The HUMVEES and trucks were part of a public vehicle list published on Shipbucket.

[Profile] [Quote]
CaptainPaulov
Post subject: Re: Special Missions Vessel DesignPosted: June 30th, 2017, 8:59 pm
JSB wrote: *
I like the idea but,
- Would it not be better to drop all the heavy guns down to main deck level and cut away the ships superstructure to make room?
- I think the casements could be improved, raised and or replaced by main deck guns?
- Could you fit fake covers so it can look like a unarmed ship for raiding?
- Paint it all the same?
Those are great ideas I will try on another large modification I have planned for the ship. Thanks for the feedback.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only”

Jump to: