Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 11 of 18  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1318 »
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 1:40 am
D

Last edited by Cargil48 on February 22nd, 2019, 8:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 5:10 pm
There are a lot of drawing elements here which don't make a lot of sense to me, but instead feel pasted-on out of fear of large expanses of gray.

Galleries which stand out from the hull forward, ten feet above the waterline... do they have any purpose aside from being torn off by foul weather? Enough life rings for, conservatively, probably 1/5 of the crew? Boats stored amidship both forward and backward? A gangway which leads up to an intermediate level two decks above the main deck? Boats next to the flight deck, boats on the main deck, boats within the hull girder? A substantial cutout in the hull aft for no reason which is obvious to me, other than offering a walkway?

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 5:49 pm
D

Last edited by Cargil48 on February 22nd, 2019, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 7:49 pm
I like her! I have issues with the flight deck-level boats abaft the island (as stated previously, no carrier, not even Hosho, had boats that high up), but other than that, very nice work!

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 8:37 pm
Unfortunately while the placing of boats may not be ascetically pleasing, the Americans did it for 15-20 years with their carriers and I would think one of those German Naval Attaches may have noticed this and passed it on to the Kriegsmarine.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
KHT
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 8:50 pm
I'm not particularly knowledgable when it comes to carrier design, but there are a few things you could to do clean up the drawing. Go over the colours scheme for the superstructure. Right now it looks... Rather incoherent, like it's been cobbled together from different ships. Perhaps go over the island, and use a single scale of gray, instead of the... three that I can see right now. As a rule, light should come from afore the bow of the ship.
Regarding my comment about drawing destroyers; I mean actually drawing them from the keel up, without using a pre-existing drawing as a base.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 10:14 pm
Wow, I'm apalled by your interest, guys! Many thanks to you all! I'll have to "digest" your comments, compare them with my own thoughts. and see what will have to be changed. Regarding the colours: When a structure is not square, when it is rounded fore and aft, when the lighting comes from the right, the rightmost part of said structure is the brightest, since it get's the full sunshine, correct? Then you have the middle part in the "normal" grade of colour, and then comes the rearmost part, which is darker, because already in the shadow. If I eliminate that, I get a "flat design", correct? I really do prefer to try to get a somewhat "3D dimension" wherever I can. Do you guys agree? And again, many thanks for your interest shown in this project. It's by far the project which has taken me more time... I kinda feel like a naval engineer...

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 10:18 pm
And especially to Krakatoa, many thanks for showing that yes, there were real ships having launches that far high! Great job, mate!

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 30th, 2019, 10:23 pm
KHT wrote: *
Regarding my comment about drawing destroyers; I mean actually drawing them from the keel up, without using a pre-existing drawing as a base.
As I saied already in a previous post, I have a design of my own of a so-called "1940 class" destroyer... but I've been so busy with the details of the "Prinz Heinrich von Preussen" aircraft carrier that I need to take a breath before dedicating myself to that project again and see if all details are correct... Maybe I'll do before that a smaller project, just "to take some deep breath"... and show you even more my thoughts about what could Germany have done with a "normal" democratic regime in those times...

[Profile] [Quote]
Cargil48
Post subject: Re: My AU German navyPosted: January 31st, 2019, 12:32 am
In 1937 the old Deutschlandklasse battleships Schleswig-Holstein and Schlesien (both built in 1906 and obsolete in 1936) were scrapped and their materials recycled whenever possible. The Defense ministry decided to replace them with two new units, the plans of which began to be made a few days after the decision of scrapping the old pre-Dreadnaughts of WWI was taken. The description for the blueprints were given to Blohm + Voss for the Bismarck and to the Kriegsmarinewerft Wilhelmshaven for the Tirpitz, both ships to be designed having in mind a displacement of around 40.000 tons standard weight, a length of about 240 meter, an installed power of about 160.000 shp and with a main armament consisting of 12 x 38cm guns in four triple turrets. The Defense ministry hoped thye German government would find finantial means for giving the green light for the beginning of the construction as soon as the blueprints were ready, possibly during 1938, since the lack of heavy battleships was an enourmous weakness of the Deutsche Kriegsmarine.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 11 of 18  [ 174 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 19 10 11 12 1318 »

Jump to: