Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Perky50
Post subject: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 16th, 2019, 1:13 pm
[ img ]

Well here's my first project, it is still a work in progress, however it is coming along. There's a lot of details still to put in, port holes to count and properly place, flags to unfurl and aircraft to find. It would be interesting to hear your comments, thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 16th, 2019, 11:09 pm
That is a very nice start.
Some issues need to be addressed I think.
First your funnel look to be slab sided, polygonal in shape instead of round.
Also please note that we use a common colour for all windows and portholes. The new colour is R=120, G=169, B=180 when using XP MS-Paint (like myself)
There are some issues with your shading aft, near the propellers, and it seems your ship has only one, while the Campania (IRC) had two propellers. Also your propeller looks too modern for a ship constructed in 1893

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 12:58 am
You are correct on the twin screws,, my original source had shown only one, however I have found the proper version and will get it corrected. As to the propellers, I'll break out my book of swears once more and have another go at it.

I agree on the funnel shading as well, however while the aft funnel is rather more rounded, the side by side fore funnels do have a slab sided design, although further shading is still needed there to set out the curvatures better, fore and aft.

Thanks for the heads-up on the proper glazing colours, I'll get that rectified asap.

I don't quite know how that aft shading glitch went by me, but I'll get that touched up as well.

Your inputs are very much appreciated, thanks kindly. I have another 24 hours lay-over, and these edits will help fill the void.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 10:12 am
Welcome aboard.

This is a very good start and its nice to see the Campania represented in SB scale.

To add to Novice's points, the stern needs a little work to smooth out the angles and adjust the shading.
The vertical black lines dividing the portholes on the main superstructure and upper deck promenade deck are presumably hull plating and a lighter shade of dark grey might help them blend in more.
The wooden boom on the hull should be outlined in black too.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 11:13 am
Hood wrote: *
The vertical black lines dividing the portholes on the main superstructure and upper deck promenade deck are presumably hull plating and a lighter shade of dark grey might help them blend in more.
I think those are open frames/supports for the two open promenades.
[ img ]
So technically the best way to represent them is having them three pixels thick (black-hull colour-black)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 1:53 pm
You are correct, BB1987, and thanks for your points, Hood. I am reworking the stern, as well as dibbling up the rest of the advisories. All your help is very much appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 3:25 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 3:28 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 3:31 pm
Here is the revised version so far ... I still have quite a few small details to add in, however while I still have the funnels to adjust the shading on, I figured on doing that when I add in the steam release lines and a few more items.

... and I'm still not happy with the stern shading ... but you know, a beer might help!

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: HMS CampaniaPosted: August 17th, 2019, 6:47 pm
You have done a lot of progress which is good, but some how your images have been re sized (probably by your image host), and it is impossible to see clearly.
The promenade supports are usually done as a three pixels wide column, black, colour, black. I know it is not to scale, and some times covers what's behind, but these are the limitations we work with at Shipbucket scale.

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: