Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
eswube
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: December 5th, 2019, 1:42 am
Sure, Camel and 757 are ok.

As for the Mailwing... well, besides the drawing itself (as an artwork), I noticed, that You don't qute noticed what actually You're drawing, because so many things are off... :(

(just an oversized sample... ;) )
[ img ]

I used mostly this photo as a reference for details:

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/713 ... 5-mailwing

and these two as source drawing:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... r_1927.jpg

https://www.modelairplanenews.com/wp-co ... rawing.jpg

Notice the undercarriage, the landing light under the wing and shape of this fairing (hump) behind the cockpit (that, and forward wing strut was the reason why I asked about Your definition of straight line - plus the rigging/control lines)

[Profile] [Quote]
orionfield
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: December 5th, 2019, 2:33 am
That is very helpful actually! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me improve the drawing.

Work List:
Eastern Air Lines Fleet History
Around the world challenge
US Attack Aircraft History

[Profile] [Quote]
orionfield
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: December 9th, 2019, 9:55 pm
Okay, made some changes to the shape, but not all of the ones you made. I also added as many of the details as I could find, and changed the shape of the prop to match yours, but with my colors.

[ img ]

Work List:

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: December 14th, 2019, 11:04 am
Sorry it took me so long to respond, but for most of this week I was somewhat busy.

It's much better now, but still there are shortcomings.
One note: Pitcairn Mailwing was built in a series or around 100 aircraft and in several versions. All my comments (esp. related to accuracy) are taking as reference this particular aircraft (keeping in mind it's probably missing some elements, exhaust for example):
https://www.planespotters.net/photo/713 ... 5-mailwing

1) Close look on the photograph reveals, that leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer is FORWARD of the leading edge of vertical stabilizer (that was reflected on my "sample") whereas on Your drawing it's the other way round. By extension, the tail skid and that small service hatch above it are too much aft.
Also, on some photographs (the "main one", but also this, for example: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8815655 ) clearly show that stabilizers are not smoothly integrated with fuselage. (again, I suggest You look closely at my "sample")
2) Trailing edge of the lower wing was not creating one line with bottom of the fuselage, so I suggest You just keep it's bottom contour near the wing as a straight line?
3) Each "section" of this part of the contour is of different length - it would be in the interest of esthetics if You make it more smooth by making each part of same length (or as close to it as possible, if the number of pixels happens to be not easily divisible by number of "sections")
4) Similarly here, but why it's made as such zig-zag instead of just a straight line.
5) You have a heavy corner on the windscreen.
6) I have a problem with that wing strut. Right now it's an arc. Bottom sections are 2-pixel long, Top sections are 3-pixel long. Logical solution would be to make them alternate 2-pixels/3-pixels/2-pixels/3-pixels... I know it can be sometime a tedious work (involving manual copy-paste of each section), but right now it looks... weird. The fuselage-wing strut also suffers by extention (exp. in the top part)
7) The bottom forward contour of the fuselage is a very smooth arc (almost a straight line - in this scale it can be easily represented as such, besides, the undercarriage largely obstructs the view anyway) going diagonally. In Your version there are two horizontal sections with implied "step" somewhere behind undercarriage.
8) I also suggest you rethink that part - You wanted to avoid double black line, but as of now it looks like the fuselage (it's "main" "grey" part) has something like "chin" there - which is clearly not the case. Perhaps manipulating (redrawing or moving apart) the contours of fuselage and of exhaust would help?

Note on the double black lines: In general, they MUST be avoided, but not at ALL cost. Sometimes - rarely, but it happens - they are just unavoidable, for example when several contour lines intersect (at least optically) - like with such wing strut arrangements. In such case, the author should do his (or her, though unfortunately Ladies are very rare here) best to either reasonably alter the contours or make that double line as short as possible. So, if faced by such situation, first try to look if some "black" can't be removed (without making the shape in question look seriously deformed), and if not, then (at least what I'm doing) try to replace some of that black by a VERY dark shade of the actual colour of the element in question) and only leave the double line if it can't be reasonably avoided.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
orionfield
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: March 29th, 2020, 10:07 pm
Fixed all the issues. Helps having had more practice with all the Irish aircraft I just finished too!

[ img ]

Work List:

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: March 30th, 2020, 7:57 pm
There's still the problem with forward strut. :P

[Profile] [Quote]
orionfield
Post subject: Re: Pitcairn PA-5 Mailwing and Sopwith CamelPosted: March 31st, 2020, 4:25 pm
Okay, Hopefully this should do it!

[ img ]

Work List:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Return to “Beginners Only” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: