Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 26 of 42  [ 414 posts ]  Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2842 »
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 21st, 2017, 6:05 pm
Depends on how you go about it. A service rifle straight of the rack with a scope slapped on obviously isn't going to do the trick, but as WWI and WWII showed, an accurized service rifle with a properly set up rifle can work just fine.
A purpose built gun is probably going to be better, but I don't think it matters if you start with a service rifle or a sporting rifle.
Of course none of that matters since the real decider is training. A good shooter can make up for a bad gun, but a good gun can't make up for a bad shooter. And shooting is probably the least part of a snipers training.
The Russian film Battle for Sevastopol has a good sequence about sniper training

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 22nd, 2017, 12:01 pm
Once again, thanks Thiel! And once again, very intructive message!

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 24th, 2017, 10:38 am
No problem.
Remember that barring a revolution in tech, a dollar spent on training gives you as much capability as two dollars spent on equipment.
It's a gross oversimplification of course, but it's a useful guide.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 24th, 2017, 2:59 pm
Thiel wrote: *
No problem.
Remember that barring a revolution in tech, a dollar spent on training gives you as much capability as two dollars spent on equipment.
It's a gross oversimplification of course, but it's a useful guide.
Well that revolution has already happened as a company called TrackingPoint already produces rifles with fire control systems that allow a mediocre shooter to achieve good accuracy. Further developments in ruggedized electronics would allow this technology to see widespread military use.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 24th, 2017, 3:11 pm
That company is located in the same city as me and I'd occasionally see them at a local shooting range we'd frequent, with their $10,000 optic attached to a $5,000 rifle. It was always fun to take military surplus rifles (K-31, M1 Garand, M1903, etc) and shoot (iron sights) from the benches right next to them. They got mad at my friend for throwing brass on them from his AK-74 clone, to which the rangemaster replied, "it's a shooting range!" - guess they're worried about their fancy little optic getting a scratch or two.

Anybody can hit a target with a 10x zoom optic, an iPad tracking mechanism, and a rifle that costs as much as a down payment on a Ferrari. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:13 pm
wow! 10,000$ optics :shock: !

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:28 pm
reytuerto wrote: *
wow! 10,000$ optics :shock: !
It cost that much because the optic in question has a built-in fire control computer, laser rangefinder, environment sensors and a connection to a guided trigger.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:37 pm
Fantastic for shooting steel plates on a range from a bench rest with bipod and rear monopod with all of your fat and rich friends - I wonder how all these fancy electronics, lithium batteries, and micro-computers would hold up in the mud and dust of actual combat?

After seeing how irritated and worried they became when some of our brass got within 6 feet of them, I think I know the answer... ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:47 pm
Colosseum wrote: *
Fantastic for shooting steel plates on a range from a bench rest with bipod and rear monopod with all of your fat and rich friends - I wonder how all these fancy electronics, lithium batteries, and micro-computers would hold up in the mud and dust of actual combat?

After seeing how irritated and worried they became when some of our brass got within 6 feet of them, I think I know the answer... ;)
Well I wrote earlier that the technology could see military use if further developments in ruggedized electronics are made. The Meprolight MESLAS is another optic that has most of the features of the TrackingPoint optic (but without the guided trigger) and is intended for military use.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Real Gunbucket Scale, Fake DesignPosted: March 25th, 2017, 3:49 pm
Anything to avoid learning how to shoot!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 26 of 42  [ 414 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2842 »

Jump to: