Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 19th, 2013, 12:02 am
Awesome stuff sebu and TC!

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 28th, 2013, 3:47 pm
[ img ]
USA-Gemini 8-12 Mission Capsules

March - November 1966
These missions and capsules represent my earliest real memories of the NASA space program. I remember being glued to the family's little B&W TV.

The major objectives were:[2]

1) To demonstrate endurance of humans and equipment to spaceflight for extended periods, at least eight days required for a Moon landing, to a maximum of two weeks.
2) To effect rendezvous and docking with another vehicle, and to maneuver the combined spacecraft using the propulsion system of the target vehicle.
3) To demonstrate Extra-Vehicular Activity (EVA), or space-"walks" outside the protection of the spacecraft, and to evaluate the astronauts' ability to perform tasks there.
4) To perfect techniques of atmospheric reentry and landing at a pre-selected location.
5) To provide the astronauts with zero-gravity, rendezvous, and docking experience required for Apollo.

Mission 8- Accomplished first docking with another space vehicle, an unmanned Agena Target Vehicle. While docked, a Gemini spacecraft thruster malfunction caused near-fatal tumbling of the craft, which, after undocking, Armstrong was able to overcome; the crew effected the first emergency landing of a manned U.S. space mission.

Mission 9- Rescheduled from May to rendezvous and dock with an Augmented Target Docking Adapter (ATDA) after the original Agena Target Vehicle failed to orbit. The ATDA shroud did not completely separate, making docking impossible. Three different types of rendezvous, two hours of EVA, and 44 orbits were completed.

Mission 10- First use of the Agena Target Vehicle's propulsion systems. The spacecraft also rendezvoused with the Agena Target Vehicle from Gemini VIII. Collins had 49 minutes of EVA standing in the hatch and 39 minutes of EVA to retrieve experiments from the Agena. 43 orbits completed.

Mission 11- Gemini record altitude with apogee of 739.2 nautical miles (1,369.0 km)[15] reached using the Agena Target Vehicle propulsion system after first orbit rendezvous and docking. Gordon made a 33-minute EVA and two-hour standup EVA. 44 orbits.

Mission 12- Final Gemini flight. Rendezvoused and docked manually with its target Agena and kept station with it during EVA. Aldrin set an EVA record of 5 hours and 30 minutes for one space walk and two stand-up exercises, and demonstrated solutions to previous EVA problems.

As a nod to my wife, the Gemini Capsule was designed by a Canadian, Jim Chamberlin, the chief aerodynamicist on the Avro Arrow fighter interceptor.
http://shipbucket.com/images.php?dir=Mi ... Canada.png

CraigH

Some railroad stuff
More random stuff that strikes me!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 29th, 2013, 1:50 pm
Great work CraigH. I love the way you've managed to capture the detailing and texture of the surface on the capsule even at this relatively small scale.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 29th, 2013, 2:54 pm
Thanks Hood!

That texturing was driving me completely nuts. If I get around too it I may try it again but with solid swatches of a couple different grays...the corrugation is actually a small fraction of a pixel wide. It also doesn't help that the capsules were black.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 29th, 2013, 5:00 pm
Wow! A fantastic drawing!
Are You planning perhaps to draw Mercury too? And maybe Apollo LM (Apollo CSM is already done).

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 29th, 2013, 5:45 pm
I feel relatively confident in saying that Gemini could not be better captured at this challenging scale. Superlative.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 29th, 2013, 6:00 pm
CraigH wrote:
Mission 9- Rescheduled from May to rendezvous and dock with an Augmented Target Docking Adapter (ATDA) after the original Agena Target Vehicle failed to orbit. The ATDA shroud did not completely separate, making docking impossible. Three different types of rendezvous, two hours of EVA, and 44 orbits were completed.
That mission provided my favourite Moon program image, the Space Alligator

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
CraigH
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 30th, 2013, 4:16 pm
Eswube,

[ img ]

USA, Project Mercury, Design DA

Why don't you have a go at The Alligator or the LM!!!

The Mercury Program ran from 1959 through 1963 with the bulk of the flights using various "boiler plate" capsule designs to test elements of the overall system, ground tracking, and boosters. Some of the flights used Design D, from a SB perspective we'd have a neutral gray heat shield and retro-rocket pack, a small round porthole rather than the rectangular one drawn, and a few other minor visual changes. I've not looked into internal equipment differences AND I couldn't find a reference as to what flights the two designs flew.

Manned Flights ran from May 1961-May 1963.

NASA ordered 20 production spacecraft, numbered 1 through 20. Five of the 20, Nos. 10, 12, 15, 17, and 19, were not flown. Spacecraft No. 3 and No. 4 were destroyed during unmanned test flights. Spacecraft No. 11 sank and was recovered from the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean after 38 years.

Source images used:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/62b7e93a9119 ... 4_1280.jpg
http://www.scottcarpenter.com/mercuryma ... apsule.pdf

Please don't request I do any black outlining on the escape tower. Tried it and it looks like total crap...destroying the "apparent scale" line-weights. I've also left the drawing (top) with the Design D coloration on the heat shield/retro-pack. The only reason I can see for the striping on it would be for tracking purposes from ground based telescopes, it would help make rotation or tumbling more visible.

CraigH

Some railroad stuff

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: November 30th, 2013, 6:52 pm
That's simply fantastic! Thank You! :)
CraigH wrote:
Why don't you have a go at The Alligator or the LM!!!
If You were unwilling to draw Mercury or LM, simple "no" would suffice. :lol:
I asked simply about Your plans and/or interests of "similar kind" so to speak.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: SpacebucketPosted: March 27th, 2014, 1:35 am
Jeb wanted MOAR BOOSTARS!!!! He got MOAR BOOSTARS!!!!
[ img ]

This is the Never-Built Saturn IC utilizing Aerojet's production version of the AJ-260 Solid Rocket Boosters.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 33  [ 327 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 733 »

Jump to: