Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »
ezgo394
Post subject: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: May 30th, 2012, 12:45 am
Been a while since I last posted here. Since Denton still lives and breathes, I have been trying to work on some aspects of the military, namely the Air Force.
I have tried using FD scale, but I have never gotten it to work with me (because I use Imperial). This scale is 6px to 1 foot, which I think is very close to FD, but it is easier for me to make calculations.

Since my main interest is the bomber force, I thought I would start with that and then move into the fighters and attack aircraft, and then later the support aircraft.

My first and favorite aircraft, gets inspiration from the developement of the B-52, but was concieved in WWII (like the B-36). It is based on the first concept idea for the B-52, the Boeing Model 462.
[ img ]

Here it is.
IMAGE REMOVED

Here are some specs, for those who are interested.

AAC Model 187, 1950, Batch 5

Crew 12

Length 175 ft
Wingspan 235 ft
Height 50 ft
Empty Weight 195000 lb
Loaded Weight 510000 lb
Max Weight 560000 lb

Powerplant 6x EM-35R-B5ST 4500hp radials, on later models a 5500 hp turboprop
4x EM-55J Turbojets, 5500 lbf

Cruise speed 240 kn
Max speed 380 kn
Range 12500 nm
Service Ceiling 45000 ft
Rate of Climb 1500 ft/min

Guns 1x 30 mm cannon
Bombs 110000 lb

The immense range comes from the requirement of being able to take off from one of our home bases, bomb the target, turn around and come home, without relying on aerial refueling. Since aerial refueling was still being experimented with in Denton, the range was needed.
The massive bombload is pretty self explanatory.

The AAC 187 is essentially based on the huge scale of the B-36, and will have some variants much like the 36, namely the XC-99 and YB-60.

The 187 is going to be the Denton Army Air Force's Silver Lance, and (much like the Tu-95 and B-52) due to it's ruggedness, range, and adaptability, it has been, and will be the spearhead of our air forces for years to come.

Concerning the drawing, I know the tail needs to be reworked. It doesnt look good. Other than that, I am pretty happy with it so far. I know I have some work to do, but I thought I would post it here to start getting some feedback on it.

EZ

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

Last edited by ezgo394 on June 4th, 2012, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: May 31st, 2012, 3:32 am
Here's an update. I've re done the rudder, and I think it looks better now. Ive added some more detail on the side view, and I've started to work on the landing gear.
I do have a few questions.
Considering the cockpit, I was thinking of doing a bubble like the B-36, or something like the NB-36 nose. I'm not sure. Any ideas?
For the landing gear, I am trying to figure out how to retract it into the wing. I was thinking of setting it up to retract forward, into the wing root (and rotating 90 degrees), or having it come in sideways, towards the fuselage. Any insight on this would be much appreciated.

IMAGE REMOVED

Thanks,
EZ Goin

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 2:45 am
I know this is a ship forum, but really? No comments? No feedback? Oh, well.

Here is my latest update. Airframe is mostly finished. I still have some details to add, but the base model is pretty well there. I still don't know what I should do for the cockpit, and I have figured the landing gear to fold in sideways towards the fuselage.
IMAGE REMOVED
I am curious about the wing, and if it is too far forward. If anyone has any comments or suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 5:46 am
I'd suggest moving the wing and main wheels back a bit. As it is now, the nose better be really heavy or you'll have a massive case of tail sitting. For a cockpit idea, you could go for something like the XB-52 prototype with the stylish fighter-style or a more relaxed B-36 style for looooong missions.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 6:15 am
Thanks for your reply Kilomuse.
I have decided to move the wing back, more towards the center of the plane, and will reposition the landing gear accordingly. As for the cockpit, I was thinking about using the B-36 style for early versions, and a cockpit based on the NB-36H for later versions. I do like your idea of using a tandem cockpit so I will draw that up and post it along with the other styles, once i get some more done.

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 6:32 am
Moving the wings back will help but you may want to make the slope on the rear underside of the plane more gentle/longer - perhaps starting it where the bomb bay finishes? As it is currently you'd have to use a very shallow take-off angle or risk scraping the underside on the tarmac on rotation.

But this is coming along quite nicely, I look forward to seeing it finished :)

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 7:09 am
Kilomuse wrote:
I'd suggest moving the wing and main wheels back a bit. As it is now, the nose better be really heavy or you'll have a massive case of tail sitting.
Not necessarily because you're forgetting the heaviest component of the aircraft - the engines - are still far forward of CG.

On the other hand that's upset by how far back the bombbay goes and, yes, you're asking for some tailstrikes.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 7:15 am
Well, I've moved the wing back, basically to the middle of the aircraft. I figure the weight of the tail section will even out the weight of the engines. As for the tail section, I'll try to find a configuration that is suitable because right behind the bomb bay is where the remote turrets are located (top and bottom).

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 1st, 2012, 7:32 am
Update. Moved the wings, moved the landing gear, and changed the tail section. Also, I have included the 3 WIP cockpits.
IMAGE REMOVED

Thanks,
-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Denton Army Air Force DrawingsPosted: June 2nd, 2012, 12:57 am
Right now, I'm in a bind. Should I move the wing forward a few pixels or leave it as is?

-EZ-

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 11  [ 105 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 511 »

Jump to: