Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Josheua
Post subject: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 2:58 pm
In the course of my design career I've run into quite a few ship buckets design in my time, whether it was through searches and such. As such, I've grown quite fond of the community and have regularly creeped around the pages to look at what all everyone was working on. Sadly, my talent with paint is far from anything spectacular and I'm far better with Adobe Illustrator CS4 - my tool of the trade.

A little backstory on me. I am currently an Ensign in the United States Navy with a passion for my career and a love of anything that sails the high seas. I've done a number of scifi projects in my day as well as a few scifi concepts. My artwork is sort of my outlet and my hobby. That being said, it often consumes most of my free-time so I'm starting to wonder if its more of a hobby or more of a obsession.

What I'd like to present to you all today is a concept I've been working on since my junior year of High School (so 8 Years now). Only recently did I really hit the ground running with the design and wanted to present it to you all as it progresses. The idea is for a large scale pair of ocean liners for Cunard to join the Queen Mary 2 on the transatlantic and transpacific cruises to supplement the cruising "boats" they have (Queen Elizabeth and Queen Victoria).

General Specifications are all I have right now, but she'd sit at 1430 feet long, 30-35 foot draft, 135 foot beat (Draft and Beam are comprable to the Queen Mary 2, as is the height - this is to allow these larger ships to service the same ports as the other Queen).

Anyways, onto the goodies. Here is a work in progress of her illustrated side profile:
[ img ]
Full Size: http://www.deviantart.com/download/3206 ... 5avul7.jpg

I also Intend to do full deck plans of the liner, illustrating her internal hull configuration down to how each stateroom is set up in conjunction with her hull form. First up is a WIP of E-Deck.
[ img ]
Full Size: http://www.deviantart.com/download/3206 ... 5avqk1.jpg

I will continue to update these designs as I work on them. I hope you all enjoy.

[Profile] [Quote]
Josheua
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 2:59 pm
*Held For Completed Images*

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 3:03 pm
Moved

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 3:05 pm
few questions/remarks
- the lifeboat space looks cramped. how are you going to launch them, especially when the ship might be heeling?
- why 3 funnels, apart from that it looks nice? so what is in them, or what powerplant do they serve
- navigation mast seems a bit small. also, while you have somewhat classic lines, the lack of some large masts puzzles me
- the stern is simply huge! that large black surface over there..... isn't there something better suited to be found for that?
- what kind of propulsion do you have? fixed props, azipods? and what rudder config?
- could you show us some underwater hull? it is quite hard to say anything about 'will it work' without that.

it looks good otherwise, but I ask the above because I want to know if it is more then an nice image :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Josheua
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 3:18 pm
No, those are all good questions:

- The lifeboats would actually swing out. Hard to tell in that image but their are roll down 'half doors' that would allow access for loading. You wouldn't actually load them in the configuration they are in and they would be easily lowered in the rolled out position. I'll try to illustrate that in a later drawing.
- Only the forward funnel is a true 'false funnel' though all the funnels are quite a bit larger than they need to be for aesthetics. The middle funnel services the hotel load gas turbines while the aft funnel services the diesel engines - she'd be powered off of a CODLAG (Combined Diesel Electric and Gas Turbine) power plant much like the Queen Mary 2. The forward funnel will likely turn into an observation deck for passengers or be put to unique use as is seen on the false forward funnel on Disney Cruise ships.
- I'm probably going to expand the navigation mast to some extent, I was actually going to look to you all about the configuration and layout of that given that my platform I serve on limits me on the knowledge on surface radar requirements.
- The stern section will have more windows, again the design is in the WIP stages, but I haven't quite decided what. That being said, a lot of that needs to be left solid to allow for the improved hull structure a true Ocean Liner requires (again, I looked at the Queen Mary 2, Queen Elizabeth 2, and other liners for my decision on window configuration).
- Propulsion is something I'm actually still toying with. My gut wants me to do a pair of Azipods for maneuverability and cruising speeds (up to 15 knots) married to a pair of conventional, shaft driven and larger scale turbine driven props for speed (up to 25+ knots). At the moment, that would put the two Azipods outboard of the two fixed turbines which would be mounted behind a pair of rudders. I'm not certain on the feasibility of this design though and I'm open to ideas.
- I will be exposing a lot more of the under hull sections as I settle on a few things myself.

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 4:11 pm
Wow. Having worked with Illustrator myself (and struggeling to make decent looking cartoons), I have a lot of respect for the quality of these drawings. They look really good.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Josheua
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 4:42 pm
Raxar wrote:
Wow. Having worked with Illustrator myself (and struggeling to make decent looking cartoons), I have a lot of respect for the quality of these drawings. They look really good.
Thank you very much! I hope you enjoy the progression. I have quite a bit more detail I'd like to achieve with the design.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 5:12 pm
If you adjust the mast height, remember the Verrazano Narrows Bridge limit, 228 feet at high tide. Right now she's actually got more clearance than the QM2, so its not a problem.

[Profile] [Quote]
Josheua
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 5:37 pm
The mast will remain lower than the forward funnel so that shouldn't be an issue. And yeah, I think she has about 3-4 feet extra of clearance.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Queen-Class Ocean Liner Concept - Adobe Illustrator WorkPosted: August 12th, 2012, 5:41 pm
That looks awesome! I've dabbled occasionally with Illustrator but never seriously/successfully, so I find this quite impressive - I look forward to seeing more :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: