Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 21st, 2014, 12:49 pm
I have never ever said anything about your modelling skills, which are better then mine.
I do however believe that my education in shipbuilding gives me quite a bit of knowledge on how pumps, propulsors and water works. the PDF you linked is mostly images and the descriptions with the images, of which I did not have to read the entire PDF to understand the concept. it's silence is not noted in the PDF, only the manoeuvrability, as far as I could see. the space the system takes in an sub is also clear to see.
so, I worry about your design being realistic, not your modelling.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 21st, 2014, 12:54 pm
Allrigth, enough! Have there just been rather plain and clear indicators in the staff behalf that we are worried about the atmosphere in the bucket? About things venturing into too unfriendly manners, usually when approaching things like critisism, recieving and giving it.

Now, you clearly have had enough of ego-boasting both of you and can now happily to agree to disagree and move on. Next one who will continue the sandbox mudthrowing will face the consequences fully.

Understood?
(and yes you both will better response)

Golly

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 21st, 2014, 12:58 pm
understood. I was already planning to just stop posting in this thread because my effort was wasted, (which I posted as well) until Lebroba started throwing insults between the lines. now I am really out of this thread.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 21st, 2014, 1:00 pm
Roger.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 21st, 2014, 10:24 pm
As depth increases, water temperature decreases. The decrease in temperature and increase in pressure from depth cause water molecules to pack more closely. The increased density makes the pump jet more efficient.

The smaller pumps used in the distributed propulsion system are less noisy due to the fact that the individual pumps and associated equipment are smaller and less noisy than traditional turbine/mrg setup. The 4 pumps together are still less noisy because the way the sound pressure levels are power summed.

The overall efficiency of the system is increased because the power draw of the variable speed motors can be controlled based on the speed requirements. The configuration can be changed for slow creep or high speed transit.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 22nd, 2014, 10:30 am
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 5:23 pm
Lebora,

The issue I had with the flat bit between the two propulsor stacks was that at the end of that ledge you hae a vertical drop off. When water is flowing over that area it will encounter a pressure difference and "clap" as it fills the void not unlike propeller cavitation. I suggest making that a knifes edge.

Also I agree with ace, even if we assume your propulsion system is realistic and I don't have a real problem with doing that, four small ones of the size you have picked is very much less than optimal. I would suggest two, so you still have your redundancy but it would allow for units more than twice the current size.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 8:50 pm
I will do a Better job modeling the trailing edge of the after body. I took your suggestion and modified the rudder configuration to X style.

As for the propulsion system, having two large pumps would seem reasonable but is contrary to everything I've read on the subject. Granted that was primarily related to aircraft distributed propulsion. The submarine distributed propulsion stuff I found mostly used 4 pump jets.

The idea sounds legit to me. Do you have a reference to some documentation to the contrary. I would be happy to read it.

Prime mover aside, what do you think of the readability of submarine based mission modules?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:02 pm
Just curious - why is the Alfa/Akula sail design superior to that used by the American subs?

[Profile] [Quote]
Lebroba
Post subject: Re: DPS SSN Fast AttackPosted: January 23rd, 2014, 10:15 pm
Probably due to lower observability during surface or near surface ops and flow underwater. New Virginia's will have it supposedly

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 40 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: