Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 2:22 pm
shipbucket is all about doing the drawing as simple as possible, at the same time awesome! and not every one of use can do gradient shading (for example me, I'm drawing in hardcore mode... Using MSPaint. And I am not going to learn my self something new drawing style, because I'm to awesome for that!)

Shipbucket is all about using paint to draw the ship in, now people are using painNT, Photoshop, Gimp, etc. but the rule still going, that you can't draw in paint...

But the is no problem to do some of-shipbucket-rule drawing, so long it's posted in "Non-shipbucket" (that's way it is created at first place)

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 4:58 pm
I'm really confused :? Looking at BCRenown's "SB-version" I have problems seeing it isn't inside the SB-standards. I realize it's obvious that many fellow mates can see it, so maybe it's my monitor :shock: But else I have to give BCRenown my support.
BTW lovely drawings ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 3:22 am
From what I can see the only things that don't comply are the grey outlines to the port holes under the bridge, no outlies to the brige windows and the graduated shading on the turret barbets. A 5 minute fix. My own opinion is Monty should fix this and then put it back in the RL section so we can have this beautiful drawing on the archive where it should be. Just my two bobs worth. :geek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Gollevainen
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 8:47 am
Yea, Bombhead is basicly on spot of what is "wrong" with the drawing and I also adjoin that they are rather minor issues that should not become obstacles for some serious confontration. Otherwise there is rather intresting concepts of using the colors to drawn things that are innovative, but still in realm of SB shading/shadowing philosophy, so I would hate to see this issue becoming so unbearable that we would loose you. SB has always needed its somewhat defiant artistic crusaders that have brougth fresh winds to the use of our methods that would most of the time remain too static and deadlocked. The delicate balance between these individuals and the crowd is naturaly required to make their effort best utilised, but Im sure we can co exist ;) We have sofar done it with such talents as Lazer_One and DarthPanda.
Also, important factor is to recon the differences between critics for the work itself, and critics for the use of the style guidelines.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 10:39 am
I think the shunt here was a bit premature and harsh, Monty's SB version is practically within the rules apart from the odd little bits BH has mentioned and the single-pixel thick lines on the topmasts etc. Hardly show-stopping faults and certainly I've seen others do similar things.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 6:01 pm
I think there'd have been a lot more positive feedback on the SB version if people had seen it; I almost never come down here in NSB.

So: both versions look awesome, and I agree with Bombhead. I'd love to see a standards-compliant (as he described it) version in the archive, as it's a great drawing.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 6:36 pm
the top one is definitely inside SB-rule, except some small things like grey lines around some of the windows, when it should have black lines.

that one bellow....

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 9th, 2014, 11:54 pm
After reading the encouraging comments above, after receiving a very helpful and informative PM from Rowdy36, and after receiving a splendid ship's badge from our friend Kim - created at my personal request, I have reconsidered my earlier decision above. Thanks guys. After all, if everyone felt the way I did, there would be no Shipbucket. I apologize to all and resubmit what I think/hope is a true Shipbucket drawing:

click for full size:
[ img ]

Yet, at the risk of sounding like a "defiant crusader", I encourage all members to latch onto Microsoft Paint and soak it for whatever it's worth:

click for full size:
[ img ]

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 10th, 2014, 12:39 am
I have a feeling that some places (like on the turret foot, bridge area) the light grey is lighter than all other light grey in this drawing. if you using multiple light and dark grey. try to use one or two lighter/darker grey.

but if you are not doing that, then all light grey could be a tad darker. not much just a little. for now it's look like the sun is shining directly in to an warrior at some places.

oh! in that bow area you can have a bit more shading under that overhang (wave brake).

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 10th, 2014, 10:57 pm
Nice one Monty, both versions and an interesting use of colour. If you ever want to give one of my carriers some treatment please feel free. I would be interested to see what you come up with. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: