Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
BCRenown
Post subject: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2014, 11:50 pm
I figured it was high-time I drew this cruiser. It might have been easier to draw her as of WWII but I wanted her in a more unique form - after the 1950's modernization. After a weeks of sifting through numerous photos (none of them of high quality), I came up with a drawing that is lacking some detail and maybe incorrect in others. Yet, as frustrating as it was at times, it was indeed a labour of love. HMS Newfoundland:

The Shipbucket version:(click for full size)
[ img ]

And the gradient version: (click for full size)
[ img ]

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 7th, 2014, 11:59 pm
Very cool but the shading is just not acceptable on a Shipbucket drawing... moving to Non-Shipbucket Designs. :/

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 1:59 am
Geez Man, maybe it's time for shipbucketeers, with their great ideas drawing potential, to move on to Grade One. Why restrain them to Kindergatren for the rest of their lives? And you neglected to tell me why my first drawing was not acceptable. Did you even bother to view the full sized images?

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 2:24 am
It's not about restraining us to a certain level. It's about consistency and simplicity.

Also, there are standards that we abide to and this drawing does not meet that standard, i.e. lack of black lines, improper shading, etc, like Colo pointed about above.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 2:59 am
Quote:
It's not about restraining us to a certain level. It's about consistency and simplicity.

Also, there are standards that we abide to and this drawing does not meet that standard, i.e. lack of black lines, improper shading, etc, like Colo pointed about above.
You mean, it's not bland enough, don't you?

Sorry ezgo394, but it sounds to me like it's more about keeping you poor bastards in the artistic doldrums - forever. The non-shipbuket section is all well and good but those better drawings will never make it to the database.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 3:00 am
Well, I'm not going to justify that with a response. If you ask me, I think SB style is perfectly fine the way it is.

I think what you've done looks great, but it doesn't fit it with what we are trying to achieve.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 3:15 am
Hi BCRenown,

I'm not sure you're understanding - the goal of this site is not to stifle artistic talent or create a "bland" drawing, it's to further the Shipbucket archive in a consistent, simple, and easily reproducible manner (ability to edit drawings with the simplest tool available (MSPaint) is very important). In addition, we are not attempting to force anyone to draw in the Shipbucket format: you are perfectly free to use this sub-forum to submit any style or type of line work you can think of. :)

Furthermore, the standards and style rules are clearly defined here. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Regards,
Ian

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 3:29 am
As Colosseum said, and from the Shipbucket FAQ page: "Shipbucket is a collective group effort to compile a database of ship profiles (drawings) primarily of real life naval vessels depicted in a common style and at a common scale of 2 pixels to 1 foot."

That is Shipbucket's mission statement. To radically change the style now would result in a very large number of otherwise perfectly good drawings to become immediately outdated, going against the very purpose of Shipbucket's existence. Obviously you're welcome to your own opinion of the style - if you think it's bland that's fine - but it exists in its current form for a reason. Naturally the style has and will continue to evolve over time, but these changes have all remained in the spirit of the mission statement above.

Changing subject, I really like what you've done with the gradient version :D It's a great representation of a nice looking cruiser. My only thought is that the bow and stern look a little unrestrained at the moment - perhaps a darker grey line to give it some definition?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 10:51 am
The shipbucket version looks really good, its not quite standard but its not that far off.

The aim of the site is clear. We didn't used to do much shading at all in the beginning, its a development that has grown over time. Really we wanted a standard so that people of all different abilities could do it equally well and for the ships to be easily editable (or kitbashable) by others. The whole idea of parts and fairly basic shading is to facilitate that. Not to press the point, but this ship is a kitbash of Bill's base Colony Class ship with the standard RN parts - proof that the basic concept works no matter how fancy you re-shade it. It's made your job a lot easier than having to draw the entire ship and parts from scratch, which is how its supposed to be. Look at the number of real-drawings in non-SB compared to what we've achieved in the SB archive.

Folks like yourself and Psilander have long-standing talent that pre-dates our site and we always welcome your art here, whether its SB style in this section or non-SB style in the non-SB section. Other members like Darth and Craig have pushed the boundaries but there is a limit with what simple tools like Paint can do and how nice that looks and how well others can replicate that style without it looking pretty poor compared to what a pro can do. Things are evolving and that takes time, SB hasn't stood still in ten years and will continue to develop, compare anything posted this week with the first drawings, the difference in skill and execution is immense.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: HMS NewfoundlandPosted: March 8th, 2014, 1:55 pm
I really felt I had given an honest effort to produce a shipbucket drawing and was expecting a little more positive feedback from the members here. But, rather than argue any further and cast a dark cloud on this hobby we all enjoy, I'll constrain my future drawings to the 'nonshipbucket' section.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 20 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: