Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: BuildingbucketPosted: April 8th, 2014, 6:38 am
See this thread for the integration of ideas which finally spawned Buildingbucket. Rowdy36 posted what was essentially the first skyscraper drawn in SB style to be posted here, though I had one sitting on my hard drive for a while before. I also thank eswube for the constructive feedback and CraigH for expressing what appears to be an early interest in drawing for Buildingbucket. Hopefully, this can grow into something significant and add more landlubber architecture to the body of our work here at Shipbucket.

This is right what it says on the tin: a thread for posting drawings of buildings, whether large or small, in Shipbucket scale and style. The rules for Buildingbucket are as follows:

1. Buildings are to be drawn in SB scale (2px = 1 foot). Anyone wishing to draw buildings in other scales (such as 4px = 1 foot) should indicate this clearly in their post. In the future, we may have separate threads, depending on how popular this concept becomes.
2. Buildings are to be drawn in Shipbucket style. This means the same general rules about outlines/pixel corners, shading, etc. as Shipbucket are to be practiced. An exception to this would be that the rules regarding window colors aren't as strict. Many buildings have certain visible window tints, some of them iconic, and drawings should reflect this. Use blue when there is no particular tint or (if it's a personal design) where you don't intend to tint.
3. Buildings may be real, never built, proposed, alternate history, or a design of your own, just as with ships.
4. Practice respect for buildings. Do not draw rust, missing panels, or similar damage on buildings. Depicting buildings under construction is fine, especially if it aids in visualizing a personal design, so long as the depiction is respectful and in good faith.
5. If a structure's height exceeds its width, use a vertical scale key instead of a horizontal one. For example, a drawing of the Pentagon would feature a horizontal scale, whereas a drawing of the Empire State Building would use a vertical scale.
6. Buildings will be drawn with a black "ground line" located 20 pixels above the edge of the image to give some room (as with ship drawings) without making it appear too much as though the structures are floating. Include the "www.shipbucket.com" mark in the lower right corner at the same level as the ground line.

As for my first offering, I started working on this "generic skyscraper" almost two years ago and completed it not long thereafter, and it's been sitting in my pictures folder ever since. More recent additions include the scale key and name, and my most recent change before uploading was to make the mechanical floors less unsightly by "painting" them light brown instead of gray. The drawing also includes an outline of what the top view is supposed to look like, and I'm still classing it as a WIP, as I don't know whether or not I want to do anything more with the drawing. This should serve as a good starting example as far as style and template are concerned:
[ img ]

Last edited by Wikipedia & Universe on May 17th, 2014, 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 8th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Looks good to me! I was thinking though that maybe it would be a good idea to have a horizontal and vertical template in this thread? Also how would the title line read? Maybe 'Country, City, Building'? Hopefully there will be some more buildings posted here soon :)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 8th, 2014, 3:43 pm
Modified template looks good to me. I also agree with Rowdy36's suggestion about title line.
I'm looking forward to see more content here, and I hope to add something to it too. :)

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 9th, 2014, 5:00 am
I'm thinking the name of the building with the location below it might be better for Buildingbucket, even though "Country, Class, Name" reads better for ships. More specifically, here's how I'm thinking it should read:

Building Name
City, State/Province or abbreviation thereof (if applicable), Country

Here are some hypothetical examples:

Empire State Building
New York City, NY, United States

Pentagon
Arlington, VA, United States

108 St Georges Terrace
Perth, WA, Australia

Bank of China Tower
Hong Kong SAR, People's Republic of China

Thoughts?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 9th, 2014, 5:02 am
Just start drawing some stuff... you can come up with all the rules as you go...

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 11th, 2014, 4:48 am
Colosseum wrote:
Just start drawing some stuff... you can come up with all the rules as you go...
True. That's probably how the original SB rules came into being.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: April 11th, 2014, 7:59 am
Posting with the new template:

[ img ]
108 St Georges Tce

[Profile] [Quote]
David Latuch
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: May 8th, 2014, 4:06 pm
Hi, may I contribute a little dittie I drew last year?

The scale is 2px=1in.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: May 8th, 2014, 4:58 pm
10 minute drawing?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: BuildingbucketPosted: May 8th, 2014, 6:06 pm
Wow! Awesome!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 5  [ 41 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 3 4 5 »

Jump to: