Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
BCRenown
Post subject: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 11:59 am
One of the things I enjoy most about Shipbucket is the wonderful design ideas I get from various shipbucketeers. Among the most intriguing of these was the "HMS Mars" designed and drawn by Bombhead as an anti-aircraft cruiser fitted with six twin 4.5" turrets. As such, I think he really nailed it. Yet, I get to thinking a cruiser should be capable of fighting another cruiser with some chance of success and maybe 4.5" guns don't cut it in that respect (remembering the "Toothless Terrors" - HMS Charybdis and Scylla). I therefore set out to re-arm "HMS Mars" with eight twin 5.25" Mk II turrets and, to help compensate for the additional topweight, I reduced the number of Mk VI directors from six to four.

Besides, the whole thing gives me a chance to utilize another of Kim's sensational badges.

"HMS Bellerophon" (click image for full size):

[ img ]

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Rowdy36
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 1:19 pm
Very cool! At first I thought it was a bit heavy for the armament but for some reason I read it as 8 guns, not 8 turrets :o I imagine the barrage fire would be quite ferocious...

Regarding the ocean effect, I can't help thinking it could be improved by some kind of blur effect at the horizon to reduce the starkness of the transition?

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 1:49 pm
BCRenown, isn't that the badge for the battleship HMS Bellerophon (1909)? As Kim has explicitly explained in his excellent CoA-thread, there was a break in the way how the CoAs were to be represented after ca. 1920.

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 4:04 pm
Thanks Rowdy. Your suggestion sounds reasonable enough. I'll give it some consideration. I've already tried the blur tool in Photoshop but it did not work out so well. I have something else in mind tho.

bezobrazov, I am well aware of Kim's thread. Since no HMS Bellerophon that I am aware of was actually built after 1909, I doubt there would be a new badge. I like the old style one and decided to use it on a completely fictional design. Geez man, that post of yours is nitpicking at it's worst. You make it sound like I've broken some law or something.

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
eltf177
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 4:22 pm
She's a real beauty!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 8th, 2014, 7:59 pm
Great stuff Monty I love what you do with these drawings. There was an official badge released for the ship in 1953 but the ship herself was renamed Tiger during building.[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Steam Power1
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 9th, 2014, 3:38 pm
Monty-

Really great ! The subject is also very very reasonable considering all the variations the RH subjected their cruisers to.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 10th, 2014, 9:43 am
Very nice work Monty.

My only concern would be space for the side 5.25in mount magazines. Otherwise this looks a really nice light cruiser and would have been a powerful AA asset well into the 1950s.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
BCRenown
Post subject: Re: Modified "Bombhead" CruiserPosted: May 19th, 2014, 8:36 am
Al, thanks for the heads up on the Bellerophon badge. I had no idea there was a newer version. Yet, I think I'll keep Kim's version. I like it better and he did go through the trouble of drawing it. I'm not sure it'll be used, otherwise. :)

eltf177 & Mike, thanks for the comments guys. They are much appreciated.

James, thanks for your excellent input also. I must admit you've given me cause for concern regarding the placement of the beam turrets. I drew a quick overhead to get a better handle on it and seems there's plenty of room - at least externally. I had some doubt regarding blast effects on the 40mm mounts abreast the aft funnel so I relocated them to the boatdeck.

Meanwhile, I've done some further work on the Bellerophon drawing - replaced the Dido-style turrets with Vanguard-style turrets, some minor changes to detail and added lots of gradients and anti-alaising.

My final version (click image for full size):

[ img ]

Monty

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: