Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Light Attack CarrierPosted: June 20th, 2014, 2:48 pm
Obsydian Shade wrote:
A modernized A-4 would be superior to the Hawk in about every regard, by virtue of the A-4 being designed as a carrier based strike aircraft from the start. No matter what capabilities are added to it, the Hawk can never escape its origins as a trainer. I love the aircraft--it's cute and sexy as hell, but it's still just a trainer that's had extra capability shoehorned in.

I once considered a fighter version of the A-4 for an AU, for a country only capable of operating small aircraft off a carrier, (I think it was going to an Essex) but never got that far on developing the idea. While a fighter A-4 would be limited, it could still with the right radar give some air coverage to the fleet. In range, it's certainly superior to the Hawk.
That's basically what the A-4AR is.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Obsydian Shade
Post subject: Re: Light Attack CarrierPosted: June 20th, 2014, 4:52 pm
shippy2013 wrote:
Just an idea but what about a navalised F5 or F16. The F16 was considered for carrier ops at one piont not sure as to.the reason it wasnt pursued probably to do with the US wanting the larger more capable F14 and F18. Not to sure about the F5. Both are small, fairly agile and can carry reasonable pay loads.
The main reason the the F-16 was not pursued was at the time, was it didn't have all weather capability, a vital quality for a naval fighter.

Edit: Also the USN favored twin engine designs, for safety reasons.

If it's close enough to cast a shadow, I think the flying house wins initiative.

Bronies are like the Forsworn. Everyone agrees that they are a problem but nobody wants to expend the energy rooting them out.

"That is a very graphic analogy which aids understanding wonderfully while being, strictly speaking, wrong in every possible way."

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 22 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: