Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 9:10 am
A Royal Netherlands Navy surface action group, protected under a RNLAF umbrella heading out to Norway on the 2010 version of the annual NATO Northern Light exercise.
This exercise on brigade level has training for landing a NATO force on a opposed landing site and securing a bridgehead for more reinforcements as it's purpose.
The Norwegian navy and airforce are OPFOR in this exercise. This year Dutch participation of this exercise consists of 1 marine battalion, 1 LPD, 2 CG's, 2 DD's (1 AAW, 1 MP) 2 FF's, 2 SSK's and 1 squadron of F-35's.
The Dutch Navy and Marines try to send different units every year because if the USSR invades Norway, reinforcing Norway will fall on their shoulders.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 2:15 pm
Just made for fun and because I wanted to make something ww2 style in a modern jacket. It's a landing support cruiser, it has given up it's long range air to air missiles, volume air search radar and helicopter hangar for 4 155mm gun turrets with each 2 155mm guns and an extra RAM CIWS because it has to operate close to shore.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
DER386
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 13th, 2010, 2:16 pm
Wow - that is an awesome picture

[Profile] [Quote]
iiradned
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 7:00 pm
Very nice renders!

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 14th, 2010, 8:18 pm
I personally think this would be quite useful, you've got a reasonably sized VLS for land attack stuff too by the looks of it.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 15th, 2010, 5:54 am
Indeed, it would be a quite useful ship IMO. If you Dutch Navy is going to do amphibious landings, Shore Bombardment will likely be needed, plus if the USN in your AU like it is IRL, you would have a possible order for one by the USN for the USMCs needs.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 16th, 2010, 8:26 am
Those are looking lovely!

[Quote]
primer
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 16th, 2010, 8:54 am
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Indeed, it would be a quite useful ship IMO. If you Dutch Navy is going to do amphibious landings, Shore Bombardment will likely be needed, plus if the USN in your AU like it is IRL, you would have a possible order for one by the USN for the USMCs needs.
Yeah, this AU Dutch navy has to bring the Royal Netherlands Marines to Norway together with the Royal Navy and the Royal Marines. If the landing is opposed then 2 of these ships with a full battery of 155mm guns will be quite handy to clear the beaches and beyond.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 17th, 2010, 2:17 pm
Quote:
12 De Zeven Provinciën class DD's (3 subclasses, AAW, ASW and MP, 4 of each) (Sea heroes and historic names)
D819 Hr.Ms. De Zeven Provinciën. (AAW)
D820 Hr.Ms. Karel Doorman. (AAW)
D821 Hr.Ms. Van Amstel. (AAW)
D822 Hr.Ms. Kortenaer. (AAW)
D823 Hr.Ms. Piet Hein. (MP)
D824 Hr.Ms. Maarten Tromp. (MP)
D825 Hr.Ms. Evertsen. (MP)
D826 Hr.Ms. Michiel de Ruyter. (MP)
D827 Hr.Ms. Vliegende Hollander. (ASW)
D828 Hr.Ms. Batavia (ASW)
D829 Hr.Ms. Van Kinsbergen (ASW)
D830 Hr.Ms. Banckert (ASW)
"Vliegende Hollander" and "Batavia"? The first one is whole inappropriate since it'll remind people about the famous opera with the same name (if I'm not entirely wrong?!?) Why not a classic powerful name such as plain "Hollandia" or "Gouden Leeuw"? "Batavia" will in all likelyhood incur a fierce and terse protest from the Indonesian government, so better change that! Also why attach the first (given) names to such ships' names as "Tromp" and "de Ruyter"? Pardon if I'm wrong, but the nomenclature history of the Koninglijke Marine does not support such practice. And while I'm 'ranting' why not exchange the name "van Amstel" with a more appropriate such as, say "Wassenaar" ("Wassenaer") or "Opdam" or "Eendracht" (Same guy though - and his flagship, blown up at Southwold Bay, 1665!) - Just my measly five cents in the pot, is all...

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: New (more realistic) Dutch Navy AUPosted: August 17th, 2010, 7:49 pm
Good names are also Isaac Sweers and Gerard Callenburgh and Tjerk Hiddes and Philips Van Almonde, all past distinguished Dutc admirals (and all were names of destroyers built at the start of WW2)

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 7  [ 68 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: