Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ] 
GrandAdmiralFox
Post subject: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 18th, 2017, 3:54 pm
So, as I like the ships of this community, I long ago decided to try my hand... but I'm apparently something of a lackluster drawer...

[ img ]
[ img ]

Sure they're only to the water line but these ships are... interesting to say the least (at least, they were first prepped by SpringSharp 3 and then drawn on paper...).

[Profile] [Quote]
Jonatan15
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 18th, 2017, 11:30 pm
Very impressive m8, i also hand-drawn ships long time ago in this kind of paper, Nostalgic ~.~). Well, i can say that Hand-drawn a ship design is easy but one time you'll need to drawn it on Computer =1 Keep drawing m8, i wonder see your future designs here ^^

- Rework my First Design
- Await the Winged Hussars Arrive

[Profile] [Quote]
GrandAdmiralFox
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 12:10 am
Jonatan15 wrote: *
Very impressive m8, i also hand-drawn ships long time ago in this kind of paper, Nostalgic ~.~). Well, i can say that Hand-drawn a ship design is easy but one time you'll need to drawn it on Computer =1 Keep drawing m8, i wonder see your future designs here ^^
Problem is, I don't have the time to draw anymore. :( That and Shipbucket is almost exactly like drafting overall in terms of neat-freak designs...

I'll probably have a few more if I can get the larger graphic pads and a usable scanner... or I just use MS Paint or something.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jonatan15
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 12:41 am
GrandAdmiralFox wrote: *
Problem is, I don't have the time to draw anymore. :( That and Shipbucket is almost exactly like drafting overall in terms of neat-freak designs...

I'll probably have a few more if I can get the larger graphic pads and a usable scanner... or I just use MS Paint or something.
hmm... i think i got it wrong but, pass from data/Sketch/info to shipbucket is quite easy(i'll have a recess next week and i should do a tutorial using my Skeleton model to simplify some conversions), the only problem is the details that need a bit more dedication and time maybe shadding too but our fellows here can help you(or better yet in the Discord chat). If you check any kind of Pixel art Basic tutorial you can get a great start on the SB style.
So a Quick tut here:
-Pick the ship Draft(in ft) and make the Rule of 3: 1(feet)-2(Pixels) : Draft(ft)-X(Pixels) and you'll get the ship draft on pixels(Do not forget to rounding) so,Make a X pixels line vertically(i use Green to drawn this line[any height line].
-Pick the ship Lenght(in ft, again) and make the same process: 1(feet)-2(pixels) : Ship Lenght(ft)-X(Pixels) and you'll get the Ship lenght on pixels so, Make a X Pixels line Horizontally on the top of the Draft Line(I use magenta to drawn this line.
This is very basic but i think you can understand it(Do the same for the freeboard and divide it by parts[Forecastle, Fore deck, Aft deck and quarterdeck] there are some Parts and tips here so go look then 'till i start my tutorial :D

- Rework my First Design

[Profile] [Quote]
GrandAdmiralFox
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 1:04 am
hmm... i think i got it wrong but, pass from data/Sketch/info to shipbucket is quite easy(i'll have a recess next week and i should do a tutorial using my Skeleton model to simplify some conversions), the only problem is the details that need a bit more dedication and time maybe shadding too but our fellows here can help you(or better yet in the Discord chat). If you check any kind of Pixel art Basic tutorial you can get a great start on the SB style.
So a Quick tut here:
-Pick the ship Draft(in ft) and make the Rule of 3: 1(feet)-2(Pixels) : Draft(ft)-X(Pixels) and you'll get the ship draft on pixels(Do not forget to rounding) so,Make a X pixels line vertically(i use Green to drawn this line[any height line].
-Pick the ship Lenght(in ft, again) and make the same process: 1(feet)-2(pixels) : Ship Lenght(ft)-X(Pixels) and you'll get the Ship lenght on pixels so, Make a X Pixels line Horizontally on the top of the Draft Line(I use magenta to drawn this line.
This is very basic but i think you can understand it(Do the same for the freeboard and divide it by parts[Forecastle, Fore deck, Aft deck and quarterdeck] there are some Parts and tips here so go look then 'till i start my tutorial :D
Thanks, but I like my metric measurements over imperial. Still, thanks for the input.

[Profile] [Quote]
Jonatan15
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 2:58 am
[/quote]
Thanks, but I like my metric measurements over imperial. Still, thanks for the input.
[/quote]

Idem, but it makes the scale easier to understand =p

- Rework my First Design

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 1:44 pm
I use 0.3048 for feet

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 19th, 2017, 2:40 pm
So I'm a bit curious, if your intent is not to even attempt to draw in the Shipbucket style, why are you posting these here? I'm also a bit thrown by your complete dismissal of Jonatan15's helpful post by claiming you like "metric over imperial" - converting between the two is easier than ever with the power of the internet and Google calculator...

Everyone is welcome to post here, but remember that this forum is geared towards designing/producing/critiquing of Shipbucket drawings. This is not a pencil art forum, or a venue for getting "nice work!" comments on random art. I would suggest deviantart for that instead.

Moving this topic to the Non Shipbucket forum as it doesn't belong in Beginners.

Cheers

[Profile] [Quote]
GrandAdmiralFox
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: June 20th, 2017, 6:05 am
Colosseum wrote: *
So I'm a bit curious, if your intent is not to even attempt to draw in the Shipbucket style, why are you posting these here? I'm also a bit thrown by your complete dismissal of Jonatan15's helpful post by claiming you like "metric over imperial" - converting between the two is easier than ever with the power of the internet and Google calculator...

Everyone is welcome to post here, but remember that this forum is geared towards designing/producing/critiquing of Shipbucket drawings. This is not a pencil art forum, or a venue for getting "nice work!" comments on random art. I would suggest deviantart for that instead.

Moving this topic to the Non Shipbucket forum as it doesn't belong in Beginners.

Cheers
... I didn't see the 'non-Shipbucket' forum... my bad. :oops:

[Profile] [Quote]
RipSteakface
Post subject: Re: Some lackluster hand-drawn ships...Posted: August 1st, 2017, 12:52 am
@Colosseum I mean, this is probably one of the better places to get genuine critique for naval drawings, digital or not. It's certainly a damn sight more useful than getting variations "dude that's cool" ad nauseam.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]  Return to “Non-Shipbucket Drawings”

Jump to: