Moderator: Community Manager
[Locked] [*]  Page 19 of 41  [ 401 posts ]  Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2141 »
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 18th, 2011, 8:12 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Do you understand the difference between a coat of arms and a decorative shield that represents a coat of arms?
Yes I do. The only reason I use that expression is caused by the beginning with badges it were used by everyone here in SB. Other expressions to discuss is crest and shields. But I don't want to nitpick in that as long the bucketeers are aware of what is meant ;)

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 18th, 2011, 8:24 pm
Terminology is not what I was talking about. Let me rephrase:
Do you understand the difference between a [coat of arms/badge/crest] and a decorative [shield/ornament/figure] that represents a [coat of arms/badge/crest]?

[Profile]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 18th, 2011, 8:33 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Terminology is not what I was talking about. Let me rephrase:
Do you understand the difference between a [coat of arms/badge/crest] and a decorative [shield/ornament/figure] that represents a [coat of arms/badge/crest]?
Then I have to say no! Because there are differences between coat of arms and a badge and a crest. But I can't figure out what you are thinking about referring to a decorative shield? All badges of today have a symbolic and decorative value. Please enlight me :shock:

[Profile]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 18th, 2011, 11:24 pm
It's simple, really.

A coat of arms or a badge is supposed to correctly identify its owner in strict heraldic terms.
Decorations only function is, well, to decorate. Which means that many decorations are not heraldically correct and thus cannot be CoAs or badges.

Some of your drawings are heraldically incorrect. I guess the reason for it is that you base them on decorations meticulously replicating all their errors. While remarkable in terms of artistic representation they IMO do not fully correspond to ShipBucket spirit of making everything to the standard and as close to the real thing as possible.

For example the badge of Bismarck you've just drawn. The golden frame is not a part of the real CoA. In fact a frame is a separate heraldic element so by adding it you alter the CoA to the point of being incorrect. Gradient background, strictly speaking, is also heraldically incorrect but that is not a big deal; it just shows that you used a relief decoration for reference ;)

It's like painting a picture of a marble sculpture of a person and claiming that it's a portrait of that person :D

I'm not criticizing or anything because the majority of people here seem to like your work; it's just a heraldry geek in me speaking, trying to point out some obvious mistakes :)

[Profile]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 2:50 am
In any event, very nice work...can't wait to see the next one!

-Matt

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 1:22 pm
WhyMe wrote:
It's simple, really.

A coat of arms or a badge is supposed to correctly identify its owner in strict heraldic terms.
Decorations only function is, well, to decorate. Which means that many decorations are not heraldically correct and thus cannot be CoAs or badges.

Some of your drawings are heraldically incorrect. I guess the reason for it is that you base them on decorations meticulously replicating all their errors. While remarkable in terms of artistic representation they IMO do not fully correspond to ShipBucket spirit of making everything to the standard and as close to the real thing as possible.

For example the badge of Bismarck you've just drawn. The golden frame is not a part of the real CoA. In fact a frame is a separate heraldic element so by adding it you alter the CoA to the point of being incorrect. Gradient background, strictly speaking, is also heraldically incorrect but that is not a big deal; it just shows that you used a relief decoration for reference ;)

It's like painting a picture of a marble sculpture of a person and claiming that it's a portrait of that person :D

I'm not criticizing or anything because the majority of people here seem to like your work; it's just a heraldry geek in me speaking, trying to point out some obvious mistakes :)
First I have to correct you. The golden frame is a part of the real badge, which is represented in the family Bismarck's CoA too. I've seen examples of badges without the frame, nevertheless it's a part of the badge. The gradient background is used to indicate metallic blue, but I'll give you that, if it is misunderstanded (which it obvious is) I will change it to one colour.
BTW, I always use official sources if I can find them. All my british badges are drawn after the original drawings which can be found by the Admiralty :!:

Last edited by KimWerner on August 19th, 2011, 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 1:54 pm
KimWerner wrote:
The golden frame is a part of the real badge, which is represented in the family Bismarck's CoA too. I've seen examples of badges without the frame, nevertheless it's a part of the badge.
Oh really? Read the blazon.
KimWerner wrote:
The gradient background is used to indicate metallic blue, but I'll give you that, if it is misunderstanded (which it obvious is) I will change it to one colour.
There's no such color as "metallic blue" in heraldry.
KimWerner wrote:
BTW, I always use official sources if I can find them. All my british badges are drawn after the original drawings which can be found by the Admiralty :!:
And that's the reason why your RN badges are (mostly) good. The British are known for their reverence to heraldry and those Admiralty badges were drawn by real heraldic artists. Still you manage to make them worse by replicating heraldically insignificant details that look bad in pixel art.

[Profile]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 7:41 pm
WhyMe wrote:
KimWerner wrote:
The golden frame is a part of the real badge, which is represented in the family Bismarck's CoA too. I've seen examples of badges without the frame, nevertheless it's a part of the badge.
Oh really? Read the blazon.
KimWerner wrote:
The gradient background is used to indicate metallic blue, but I'll give you that, if it is misunderstanded (which it obvious is) I will change it to one colour.
There's no such color as "metallic blue" in heraldry.
KimWerner wrote:
And that's the reason why your RN badges are (mostly) good. The British are known for their reverence to heraldry and those Admiralty badges were drawn by real heraldic artists. Still you manage to make them worse by replicating heraldically insignificant details that look bad in pixel art.
I've seen the Wiki-page, which don't say much. But I'm a bit annoyed over it, so now I will go to the library to get my sources confirmed. I don't want to use so much time discussing over doubtful sources. And yes, in heraldry there are only few colours and white and yellow doesn't exist (or represent silver and gold). I'm fully aware of that. I've drawn and created military badges since 1978. Therefore I also know, that the rules of heraldry often are broken. When I draw a badge here i SB I try to do it as close as possible to the original even if it is despite heraldry rules :!: When I have been at the library, we can continue the discussion of DKM Bismarck, but untill then, I consider it as time out.

[Profile]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 7:53 pm
No problem, take your time.
Just one moment though: when you say "as close as possible to the original" what do you mean by the "original"? Because in heraldry, you know, the only original thing is the blazon.

[Profile]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Coat of Arms for navy vesselsPosted: August 19th, 2011, 11:03 pm
WhyMe wrote:
No problem, take your time.
Just one moment though: when you say "as close as possible to the original" what do you mean by the "original"? Because in heraldry, you know, the only original thing is the blazon.
I'm talking of the badges which are approved by the proper naval authorities. In that case it almost is a coloured drawing which I name original in these circumstances. But you're quite right when it depends on real uncompromising heraldry. ;)

[Profile]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Locked]  Page 19 of 41  [ 401 posts ]  Return to “Coats of Arms and Ship's Badges” | Go to page « 117 18 19 20 2141 »

Jump to: