Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
Mal Wright
Post subject: Contact ship crestsPosted: November 7th, 2014, 4:36 am
Can anyone please assist with contact details regard those rather clever artists who have produced some of the ship crests shown here?

Book 1 British and Commonwealth Warships Camouflage II
http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/British- ... II/p/6818/

did not show the ship crests. But I would very much like to do that in volume 2 which will be released in October 2015.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: November 7th, 2014, 3:21 pm
I think I'm the most productive regarding RN badges. But using the badges in your book isn't that simple. According shipbucket's fair use agreement it's ok to use shipbucket drawings in non profit and non commercial connections with proper credits to both shipbucket and artist. That's the problem in your case. I'm not sure, that I - as the artist - can give you permission to use those badges I've drawn, when first they have been published in this forum.

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: November 13th, 2014, 3:34 pm
Hi Kim,

I think (you'd want someone with some legal knowledge to check this, though, obviously) that as the artist you can license Mal Wright to use the badges separately but that would mean that Mal would have to contact each artist individually to license such usage. There's no "exclusivity" language in the FuA, is there?

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: November 13th, 2014, 4:32 pm
Timothy had contacted me, and - Adam - you're right, the individual artist can give permission to Mal.

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: November 14th, 2014, 8:57 am
Unfortunately, the matter is further confused in that, each Navy is separately the copyright holder (See the note on the Aussie Ship Crests).

According to a friend of mine who's the Studio Manager at the Fleet Graphics Centre at HMS Excellent in Portsmouth, its ok for us (as individuals at shipbucket) to draw the Crests as long as they are "not for profit", but for any commercial usage, a Licencing Agreement would be needed:-

"All photographs, images, and logos associated with the Royal Navy and Royal Marines (RN/RM) are considered Intellectual Property (IP) and are subject to Crown Copyright. RN/RM logos and are also Registered Trademarks and all external use of RN/RM IP is to be licensed.

Products incorporating RN/RM IP should never be advertised next to images or on products of questionable quality as this only serves to weaken the RN/RM brand, its values and reputation. Images must be of the highest possible quality and must never be adjusted or distorted from their original design. The RN/RM brand identity is not to be undermined by unauthorised use of its associated IP or poor quality reproduction.

If a commercial company is required to supply products bearing RN/RM IP for official use then the company can carry out this request free of licence provided there is a contractual agreement limiting the company’s use to that individual order.

Before a commercial company can produce an item incorporating RN/RM IP, whether for sale to civilians, serving or ex-serving members, museums, military charities or PRI shops they are required to apply for a Trade Mark User’s Licence. The licence clearly lays down what images are allowed to be used, how they are to be used and what media they can be used on. Samples of the products can also be requested to ensure they meet standards required by the licence. If a licence is granted, a royalty might be paid by the company for the privilege of using RN/RM IP.
If a Unit wishes to approach a supplier to produce items displaying RN/RM IP, they must first seek advise from DMC Navy PR, see details on the right.

Licences covering commercial sales are issued by the MOD Directorate of Intellectual Property Rights via DMC Navy PR, as above, who can offer further advice and assistance if required. The licence will also contain appropriate arrangements to protect the MOD legally and financially, such as warranties, indemnities, and product liability insurance requirements."

[Profile] [Quote]
Mal Wright
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: March 5th, 2015, 8:43 am
Thanks for the advice.
A project of the sort I have embarked upon is, as you would understand, massive. One does not always have the time to tackle every issue outside the actual work itself in detail so any help is always much appreciated.
I had envisaged ensuring each person involved with ship crests would get a signed copy, and as currently at the publisher the first part contains a recommendation for readers to go to Shipbucket, as well as an acknowledgement of the artists who have worked on the crests.
I have informed the publisher of the legalities and the need of the permission of each artist. I will have to see what they come up with. If necessary we shall just have to print volume 2 and 3 without the crests. That would be a shame but I will have to wait and see what the publisher decides.
As an artist myself I would not even consider using someone else's work without permission, hence my search here and on other forums in an attempt to make contact with the artists.

regards

Mal Wright

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Contact ship crestsPosted: March 5th, 2015, 2:27 pm
Having drawn in excess of 300 badges (waiting on Kim to finish the display matrix), I have no problems with you using any of my badges, subject to the above.

With kind regards,

Andy

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Coats of Arms and Ship's Badges”

Jump to: