Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Gone Trucking - various North American TrucksPosted: February 13th, 2020, 10:43 am
Wow! great work, great idea!!!

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: Gone Trucking - various North American TrucksPosted: February 14th, 2020, 1:53 am
[ img ]

Last edited by Perky50 on February 14th, 2020, 2:29 am, edited 3 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: Gone Trucking - various North American TrucksPosted: February 14th, 2020, 2:08 am
The Challenges of International Trucking
The two images above are actually the same vehicle combination, with the upper image representing it operating in Canada, while the lower image represents it operating in the United States.

American axle weight laws did not allow for the same gross vehicle weight as Canada, and as well required a longer spacing between axle groups, referred to as axle bridge, to maximize the weight that was allowed.

To be able to take advantage of the maximum allowable GVW Stateside, while at the same time having a vehicle that would comply with the more stringent Canadian length limitations, the extendable converter tongue was devised.

For states such as North Dakota a single stage extension was sufficient to meet their axle bridge regulations for those states. Montana and some other states would allow a higher GVW, however to reach that, a longer axle bridge was required.

To maximize the axle bridge for those states, a two stage extension was developed, one that would make the converter tongue longer than the actual pup trailer being pulled.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Gone Trucking - various North American TrucksPosted: February 16th, 2020, 1:38 pm
I like the idea of this thread. :)

But with deep regret I have to raise some problems with Your works.
(I used samples from first two trucks from first drawing, but it applies to all of them, be it literally or "in principle")

1) Wheels - some of them (on trailers) don't have the black contour all around, which would be a must. Also, typically the "border" between tire and metal part of the wheel is also marked in black (generally exceptions exist, but usually when the wheel is simply too small). Also, the "holes" in the wheel (like on the wheels of IHC and Ford, but not on their trailers) rather shouldn't be all black.
Additionaly, the shading on the tires is IMHO not really "in the SB/FD spirit" (I'd suggest doing it along the lines of examples I provided, which is more the way it's typically done).

2) Under the fenders of Ford there are some strange pixels, which must not be there, simply a very dark (or some other, relevant color) area, not some random gathering of various 4096 shades. ;)

3) "Double black lines" - something that should be avoided as much as possible ("holes" on the wheels in point 1 also come to this category) - either by using partially some other colour or tweaking the contour (of course, sometimes there's no way to avoid small amount of double black line, but most examples here can be avoided). I'd suggest using black only for contours and filling it with very dark grey.
Also, besides double black lines (most striking examples are shown with red arrows) there are places where line should be black, but isn't (blue arrows - in fact there are more of such places I just didn't marked).

4) Door outlines. Here You have three approaches - black outline (huge doors on trailer from 1st drawing), dark-shade outline on Freightliner and seemingly no marking of them on IHC and Ford. Preferably choose one option and stick to it (I mean black outline or dark-shade outline, "no outline" is not an option, of course ;) )

5) One more thing that strikes me particularly on Ford - shading. Typically the brightest shade shows areas on which most of light falls (so those pointing upwards), middle those more-or-less vertical, and darkest on those where there is least light (so those pointing downwards). But shading on Ford has brightest shade used on sides of the body, but dark one on top of the hood (on the other hand, fenders are more or less fine)

6) And last but not least - templates. 1000 x 330 pixels are minimum size and that's non-negotiable. Templates can be as big as necessary (within practical reason), but not smaller.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Perky50
Post subject: Re: Gone Trucking - various North American TrucksPosted: February 17th, 2020, 2:10 pm
Thanks for the feed back ... I'm working through the corrections

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: