Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 26 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2855 »
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 25th, 2013, 3:23 pm
Hood wrote:
My other query about the HP.111C above is the airbrakes, they are clearly marked on the drawings I've seen but somehow I doubt a transport would use them as much as the Victor (they look much bigger than the Victor's airbrakes too), the extra drag of the bigger airframe would surely mean lower speeds, but they might have been handy for positioning when flight refuelling (as a receiver).
Bigger brakes means it can decelerate quicker, though it's still a mystery why a transport (or any large aircraft for that matter) would really need them that badly.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 25th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Gadzooks, Odbodkins :o This just gets better :D

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 25th, 2013, 6:00 pm
Amazing additions!

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 10:29 am
Darth's excellent Hawker P.1154RNs and RN-coloured F/A-18 Hornets need a buddy to help them out... ;)

[ img ]
An Hawker Siddeley HS.125 AEW aircraft of 849 Squadron Flight B aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth 1974.
This is one of several 1964 studies for a cheap carrier-based AEW aircraft based on the HS.125 executive jet. Some had nose and tail FASS radars and others had dorsal antennas. The dorsal designs could not meet even the minimum range specifications. I'm not sure what the engines would have been, the nacelles don't match the Vipers of the civil version, nor the later Garrett turbofans. Perhaps not a non-starter but certainly a good looking project.

EDIT: Aircraft resized. Thanks eswube for spotting my fundamental mistake!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

Last edited by Hood on October 15th, 2016, 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 12:05 pm
Hood wrote:
Darth's excellent Hawker P.1154RNs and RN-coloured F/A-18 Hornets need a buddy to help them out... ;)

[ img ]
An Hawker Siddeley HS.125 AEW aircraft of 849 Squadron Flight B aboard HMS Queen Elizabeth 1974.
This is one of several 1964 studies for a cheap carrier-based AEW aircraft based on the HS.125 executive jet. Some had nose and tail FASS radars and others had dorsal antennas. The dorsal designs could not meet even the minimum range specifications. I'm not sure what the engines would have been, the nacelles don't match the Vipers of the civil version, nor the later Garrett turbofans. Perhaps not a non-starter but certainly a good looking project.
If this was actually built, the E-2 Hawkeye would have a competitor in international sales, if it gets exported.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 12:53 pm
Judah14 wrote:
If this was actually built, the E-2 Hawkeye would have a competitor in international sales, if it gets exported.
I see long line of customers for plane that could not meet even the minimum range specifications. :lol: :lol: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 1:10 pm
Rhade wrote:
Judah14 wrote:
I see long line of customers for plane that could not meet even the minimum range specifications. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It is because that aircraft is not subject to US arms export law. And alternatives like the Yak-44 would most likley be purchased by Soviet-leaning nations. This aircraft was from an era when the US was careful in selling its top frontline aircraft abroad and produced aircraft primarily meant for export, like the F-5.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Judah14 wrote:
It is because that aircraft is not subject to US arms export law.
And that's the reason why this plane not meet minimum range specifications. :?:

Also how many nations allied with Soviet Union possess aircraft carriers ?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 2:42 pm
Fascinating project!

But there's one thing I'm somewhat concerned with - HS-125 is about 15 meters long...

(image removed)

Last edited by eswube on April 28th, 2013, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
MihoshiK
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: April 27th, 2013, 3:32 pm
Rhade wrote:
Judah14 wrote:
It is because that aircraft is not subject to US arms export law.
And that's the reason why this plane not meet minimum range specifications. :?:
No Rhade, that's the reason why it would sell anyway. Don't be dense.
Quote:
Also how many nations allied with Soviet Union possess aircraft carriers ?
Doesn't really matter, because the Yak wouldn't be sold to the nations that would buy the British plane.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 26 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2855 »

Jump to: