Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 47 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Go to page « 145 46 47 48 4955 »
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: January 19th, 2016, 5:02 am
eswube wrote:
Nice.
But shouldn't it be posted rather in the AU thread? This thread has a number of totally invented paint schemes, but of the British aircraft (and/or perhaps of some foreign ones that were actually considered for use by the UK).
You are right, I will post it there.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 15th, 2016, 7:03 pm
I just recently completed a lot of Yakovlev fighters for upcoming Polish Wings updates and felt that for a while I need a bit of rest before I proceed with further related stuff, so in the meantime I decided to make this small addition to this great thread (using the fact that it's based on my earlier works and so can be done relatively quickly and easily).

Late in the WW2, Fighter Command showed great interest in obtaining airborne early warning and fighter direction capability (called AWI - Airborne Warning and Interception). When the Boeing C-97 has been built, it was considered a perfect platform for the planned sizeable installations. However, in the climate of the immediate-post-war austerity it was far too expensive idea and designers had to satisfy themselves with GAL.58 Hamilcar as testbed.

Great Britain, Boeing Stratofreighter AEW (AWI)
[ img ]

Much later, in late 1970s and 1980s, during the ill-fated development of the AEW version of Nimrod, BAe designers thought it would be a good idea to use more capable platform instead, specifically Airbus A.300 or A.310 (which British Aerospace was co-producing). Resulting designs were BAe.844 (A310) and BAe.847 (A300), that were also part of the super-tanker project to meet ASR.411 (that itself came to naught when TriStars were acquired in 1982).

Great Britain, BAe.844 (Airbus A310)
[ img ]

Great Britain, BAe.847 (Airbus A300)
[ img ]

For more details look:
Chris Gibson, The Air Staff and AEW. Royal Air Force Early Warning Projects, ProjectTech Profiles, 2013;
Chris Gibson, Battle Flight. RAF Air Defence Projects and Weapons Since 1945, Hikoki Publications, 2012.

[Profile] [Quote]
Kilomuse
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 15th, 2016, 7:20 pm
Fantastic work eswube, and I'm glad to hear there's more Polish Wings coming up. I have to say these are spectacularly ugly aircraft, but the drawing quality is excellent. This is one of the best FD Scale threads without a doubt.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 12:09 am
So Eswube, would I be right in thinking the BAe.844 (A310) and BAe.847 (A300) were both MPA please :?:

Other than that, jolly FANTASTIC drawings old man. Well Done :D

Are there any more to come, or is it just the three :?:

Best regards,

Andy

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 9:13 am
Battle Flight is a fantastic book as are the Genesis of the Nimrod and Listening In ones.

The 844 and 847 were to fulfil the cargo and tanker roles in addition to the AEW roles adenandy. BAe had looked at replacing most if not all of the non-fast air stuff with the 'Large Aircraft Replacement Concept' or LARC. FASS as the Nimrod AEW and aforementioned Airbuses had but with the ability to carry a variety of stores in bays in the lower fuselage.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 10:30 am
Wonderful additions Eswube!
The C-97 conversion was pretty advanced thinking for the day, I think had AWI platforms been pursued for air defence at the time then the fighter requirements of the RAF would have been somewhat different from the point-defence types requested in the late 40s/early 50s.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 1:11 pm
Thanks for the kind words!

@Kilomuse
Well, it's still quite a long way to go before I'll start posting the Polish Wings stuff. :/

@Adenandy
As Blackbuck mentioned, they are Early Warning aircraft.
I'm afraid that it's just those three. I'm not planning any other RAF planes at this point and am not planning to plan them. ;)

@Blackbuck
'Vulcan's Hammer' (also by Chris Gibson) is also great one, and I can't wait for the 'On Atlas' Shoulders' announced for the autumn.

@Hood
I'm glad they found recognition in Your eyes.
Btw. I'm afraid that most of Your works on earlier pages of this thread seem to be missing. :(

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 2:49 pm
was the A300 & A310 ever mooted for the tanker/transport role or ELINT?

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 16th, 2016, 3:08 pm
rifleman2 wrote:
was the A300 & A310 ever mooted for the tanker/transport role or ELINT?
Yes for the first and not sure for the latter, they would have had the same systems as the AEW Nimrods so some austere ELINT/SIGINT capability may have been leveraged.
eswube wrote:
@Blackbuck
'Vulcan's Hammer' (also by Chris Gibson) is also great one, and I can't wait for the 'On Atlas' Shoulders' announced for the autumn.
I'd been meaning to grab the V bombers one but will now most likely grab it along with the transport one when it comes out for some new reading.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Project Cancelled: The Alternative What-If British AircrPosted: July 17th, 2016, 12:21 pm
eswube wrote:
Btw. I'm afraid that most of Your works on earlier pages of this thread seem to be missing. :(
Grrr, probably drawings on my Imageshack account which no longer seems to be linking at all. When I get things sorted I'll try and repost them (presuming some made it to the archive list?).

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 47 of 55  [ 549 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 145 46 47 48 4955 »

Jump to: