Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 3:02 pm
I might, weren't it for my being at work! Google won't answer that query easily enough! :oops: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 3:46 pm
Lazer_one wrote:
It is a common wish to see dromones... I'll take care of galley waiting for your dromone.

BTW nobody is answering my question about when and where 31 galleys were transported...
Are they got pull over wheels to on land to save them from winter and wood rot. Or it being for display museum? Dogg state empire.

[Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 4:02 pm
It was a war affair...

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
ALVAMA
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 4:28 pm
Lazer_one wrote:
It was a war affair...
To prefent capture or transport from a sea to another sea for secret attacks?

[Quote]
WhyMe
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 5:00 pm
Lazer_one wrote:
BTW nobody is answering my question about when and where 31 galleys were transported...
Venetians transporting their galleys to the Lake Garda during war against Milan in 1439.

[Profile] [Quote]
Lazer_one
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 19th, 2011, 6:01 pm
WhyMe wrote:
Lazer_one wrote:
Venetians transporting their galleys to the Lake Garda during war against Milan in 1439.
YES!
Venetians transported 31 galleys on Adige river, then by road till a small lake, pulled up throug a riverfall, and again by road down to Torbole...
In order to "brake" the galleys were not enough oxen and so were used emergency sail against the Ora wind...

As I said at the beginning I wrote a paper for the Italian Navy magazine discussing about "transportations" of ships on earth and illustrated with a series of FD drawings

[ img ]

Lazer_One's Worlist - Updated 2021

Documentation is always welcome here

Lazer_One's Blog

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 20th, 2011, 2:00 am
Lazer...I'm in total and complete awe about your eminent draughtmanship! I may let you decorate the pamphylii, dromones and chelandiones that I'm planning! Just plain outstanding!

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 20th, 2011, 3:15 pm
Yes! :D Here is an artist in the medium. And this topic interests me even more. I'm re-reading the superb 'House Of Niccolo' series by Dorothy Dunnett; where, in volume two it deals with the competition between Venice, Genoa, and Florence for the lucrative trade at Trebizond in the 15th century. Galleys are descibed, as well as the (then) more modern 'Round Ships' (Cogs?), and I would love to see the latter represented as well sometime.

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:08 am
The round ships mentioned in your cited novels, PB, are not cogs, unless emanating from Northern Europe. The principal difference between a cog and a naus (to use the Greek term) was the way the hull was built: a cog is clinker-built, i e with each succeededing plank overlapping the preceeding, whereas the naus' built-pattern is carvel, or each plank set corner to corner. Also the Mediterranean round ships were usually much more round, actually in their form than the North European ones, in a quite literal sense. They, too, were chiefly rigged with the Lateen-sail, whereas the Northern ships carried the simple square rig.

[Profile] [Quote]
Portsmouth Bill
Post subject: Re: Venetian war galleyPosted: August 21st, 2011, 1:04 pm
Thanks. The round ship mentioned was not clinker built, though it does originate from the Flemish ports in the story.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: