Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 45 of 97  [ 968 posts ]  Go to page « 143 44 45 46 4797 »
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 17th, 2017, 8:54 am
Nice additions.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 21st, 2017, 8:01 am
SARO P.199 Princess landplane
In an attempt to keep the Princess project alive, Saro had planned for the 3 Princess airframes to be converted to landplanes. Arrangements were being made to barge and transport the airframes for conversion before the plan was dropped.
If the conversions were made the aircraft, and any subsequent production, would have gone to the RAF for heavy lift. The engines would have been upgraded to 6 RR Tynes, and the Shorts Belfast would never have been produced. The aircraft is painted as 53 Squadron, XR367 "Heracles", which would have been a Princess instead of the Belfast. Thanks to Garlicdesign for the template for the Belfast Tyne cowlings and refuelling probe.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 21st, 2017, 8:07 am
SARO P.193 Princess AEW
Another Princess design was to use the Princess as an AEW platform. Adding a 10ft stretch to the cabin forward of the wing, and upgrading the engines to RR Tynes, the aircraft would have provided long-range airborne radar coverage and refuelling capabilities in the late 1950's, and so negated the need to develop the Nimrod.
The aircraft is painted as 203 Squadron XV232, an aircraft that was a Nimrod MR Mk.1

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 21st, 2017, 9:29 am
Nice work, will you be doing the nuclear powered variant mooted for the USN or the Guppy versions too?

One small note on the P.193, for that version it was intended to use six or eight 5,150shp Bristol BE.25 Orion turboprops. These engines never went much further than the drawing board. They were also proposed for several Bristol Britannia developments, the nacelle was fairly long and thin, perhaps a bit like the Tyne nacelles you have in size but perhaps a little thinner.

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 21st, 2017, 1:03 pm
Thanks Hood.
The sketches I've seen of the guppied Princess are just so bloated I can't bring myself to consider it a genuine aircraft concept! :)

As the Orion design was a non-starter and never went anywhere, if the Princess developments were constructed, I consider it most logical that the Tynes would have been used and developed further instead.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: January 22nd, 2017, 11:20 am
Very interesting additions. I knew about Saro Princess, but not about these design ideas.

[Profile] [Quote]
Sheepster
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 6:14 am
Canadair CL44 Conroy Colossus - planned Super Skymonster

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 8:56 am
Wow, that is one ugly design, but well drawn of course!

Super-Darings

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 11:31 am
Doesn't NASA have a similar one, for special transport. I believe it was called "super Guppy"

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FD scale Never Built DesignsPosted: February 3rd, 2017, 12:16 pm
heuhen wrote:
Doesn't NASA have a similar one, for special transport. I believe it was called "super Guppy"
The same guy, John Conroy was behind the designs. In the end he built two Pregnant Guppies, two Mini Guppies, five Super Guppies, and the Skymonster shown in FDscale Aircraft 13.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 45 of 97  [ 968 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 143 44 45 46 4797 »

Jump to: