Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
TimothyC
Post subject: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 6th, 2013, 7:13 pm
Alright folks, It's time for FD Scale to get another mass-upload on the main site. This is not the thread to post your drawings in. This is a thread to post how you think the drawings should be organized on the main site. The current folder format is this:

└►Nation A
│└Armor
││└►WW2 Era
││└►Modern Era
││└►Civilian
│└►Space
│└►Aircraft
││└►Early
││└►Middle (WW2)
││└►Modern
││└C►ivilian
│└►Ships
└Nation B
│└►Armor
││└►WW2 Era
││└►Modern Era
││└►Civilian
│└►Space
│└►Aircraft
││└►Early
││└►Middle (WW2)
││└►Modern
││└►Civilian
│└►Ships

And

Never Built
└Nation A
│└►Armor
││└►WW2 Era
││└►Modern Era
││└►Civilian
│└►Space
│└►Aircraft
││└►Early
││└►Middle (WW2)
││└►Modern
││└►Civilian
│└►Ships
└►Nation B
│└►Armor
││└►WW2 Era
││└►Modern Era
│└►Space
│└►Aircraft
││└►Early
││└►Middle (WW2)
││└►Modern
││└►Civilian
│└►Ships

It raises some issues of situations where all of the operators of one type of aircraft are shown on one sheet - so you end up with say, Dutch liveried F-16s in the US└►Aircraft└►Modern folder.

I am open to suggestions, but the default is to maintain the current structure with all of it's quirks, and any results from this thread are non-binding on the staff, but I do think that you guys deserve some input into this if only because it's been neglected for so long.

-TJC

P.S. Also, please keep it civil.

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 6th, 2013, 7:32 pm
I have a suggestion (which I have forwarded to Timothy before, and which was partial inspiration to open this thread) which is as follows:
-Ground Vehicles
---sub-folders by alphabet: 0-9, A, B, C, D, E... (first letter of designation - so M1 Abrams would be under "M", PzKpfw.IV under "P" and so on)
-Aircraft
---sub-folders by alphabet A, B, C, D, E... (first letter of manufacturers name - so Grumman F-14 would be under "G", Boeing 737 under "B" and so on)
-Ships
-Spacecraft
Of course all of it grouped into "Real Life" and "Never Built" sections.

Filenames could contain name of the vehicle plus information about the users depicted on picture, for example drawing of F-14 in the US Navy service could be: Grumman F-14 Tomcat - USA.png - or if there would be more F-14s - Grumman F-14 Tomcat - USA 1/2/3/4...png, alternatively Grumman F-14 Tomcat - USA navy (other options being "air force", "airline", "civil aviation", "army" etc.), blank/generic drawings could in turn contain name only, without "country".

Ships and Spacecraft, due to somewhat limited amount of content could be kept all together.

Sorting these pictures just by alphabet (and general type of vehicle, of course) would allow to avoid problems with drawings containing vehicles of more than one country (with current system they would have to be either posted several times in different folders, posted only in one, but containing content pertaining to other, or edited into several separate files).
Also, currently many folders contain only one sub-folder, with just one sub-sub-folder, often with just one or two drawings inside, so it's lots of clicking of not so much use.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 7th, 2013, 2:52 pm
I back eswube's proposed system. It's how most sites and books keep track of vehicles and aircraft and would prove much easier than national searching.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Tounushifan
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 8th, 2013, 9:04 pm
I agree with eswube.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 8th, 2013, 9:58 pm
I like Eswube's idea as well. For me, it is easier to remember the manufacturer of the aircraft, rather than the country of origin, and would make it so much easier and quicker to have it alphabetized.

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tounushifan
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 9th, 2013, 12:57 am
Honestly, for the front page I think the captured planes should remain under the aircraft, in the country of origin. I mean, the captured He-111 wasn't really a WW2 British aircraft. It's made almost for fun, even though it's awesome to look at. It should stay with the German section and in the same drawing with the German and Lufthansa models. I understand the Hawker Hurricane in service with the Irish and the Ju-52 in service with the Swiss, but the He-11 captured and tested was not used with the British in combat, and therefore belongs in the German category. It's a scheme, and not a new plane.

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 11th, 2013, 5:38 am
I can get behind any method that 1) cleans things up, and 2) consolidates all of the FD work into one area of the site for ease of access.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 11th, 2013, 6:55 am
Eswube idea looks promising.

[Profile] [Quote]
Caddaric79
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: July 14th, 2013, 11:11 am
If alphabetical option had to be chosen, I would be disappointed to not find the F-15 in the folder F.
Old F-15 in McDonnell Douglas, F-15J in Mitsubishi and the latest version in Boeing?
At least, a good way to learn the manufacturers for noobs...

Is national searching raises so big problem?

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: FD Scale folder reorganization optionsPosted: August 28th, 2013, 5:47 pm
Ok, until I finish checking and total migration, the folders that Eswube sent me can be found here. I haven't had time to deal with the minor issues, but I felt that I needed to get something live on the server.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 18 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: