Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 27 of 52  [ 517 posts ]  Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2952 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 7:34 am
Ok, now it's time for something bit more "fresh".
To end the Ouragan/Mystere saga from earlier posts:
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 31#p104731
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 61#p104961 (and the next post)
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 02#p106402

In 1954 Dassault began work on light jet fighter-bomber, in response to the French Air Force requirement. Plane, powered with two Turboméca Gabizo and initially designated Mystère XXII, was first flown on 23 July 1956. Soon however it was found out that both the concept of very-light fighter-bomber was flawed while the Gabizo engines did not exactly met the expectations put in them, so the development of the plane, by the time renamed Étendard II was cancelled.
Note: unfortunately sources give seriously conflicting data regarding length of M.XXII and M.XXVI.

France, Dassault Mystère XXII / Étendard II
[ img ]

Around the same time NATO opened the competition for a light fighter-bomber to be used by the plurality of member states. One of the requirements was the use of Bristol Siddeley Orpheus engine, which led Dassault design team to creation of new plane (but heavily based on Mystère XXII), named Mystère XXVI (later renamed Étendard VI). Competition was won by Italian FIAT G.91.

France, Dassault Mystère XXVI / Étendard VI
[ img ]

Concurrently with Mystère XXII, Dassault developed a larger prototype with SNECMA Atar 101E-3 engine, named Mystère XXIV (later Étendard IV). It was flown one day after M.XXII, and although it didn't found favor with either French Air Force nor NATO, it was noticed by French Navy authorities who were seeking a fighter for then-built Clemenceau and Foch aircraft carriers. Navalized prototype Étendard IVM was first flown on 21 May 1958 and was quickly ordered for production. In total 90 were built, both in basic fighter-bomber IVM variant as well as in recce IVP variant.

France, Dassault Étendard IVM, Étendard IVP
[ img ]
[ img ]

By late 1960s it was becoming quite clear that Étendard's performance is no longer quite satisfactory. It's intended replacement was navalized version of SEPECAT Jaguar, but after it's cancellation the search for alternative begun. Dassault responded with modification of Étendard containing new engine, wing and heavily upgraded avionics, named Super Étendard. 85 were built between 1977 and 1983 for France and Argentina (5 were leased by Iraq in mid-1980s pending delivery of Exocet-capable Mirage F1EQ).

France, Argentina, Dassault Super Étendard
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Final branch of the Mystère family was a MD.550 Mystère-Delta, first flown on 25 June 1955. It was a response to requirement for light supersonic interceptor capable of Mach 1,3 speed and able to reach altitude of 15000 meters in 4 minutes. Dassault's prototype was later renamed Mirage I and opened the way for the famous family of fighters.

France, Dassault MD.550 Mystère-Delta / Mirage I
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 9:20 am
Is it me or i'm sensing a macropost about de Douglas Dakota C-47?

Congrats on the last two posts!

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 12:02 pm
Excellent work.
The Etendard series is stunning!

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Caddaric79
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 1:03 pm
"fresh" it is ! splendid Etendard.
Can you add an ASMP ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Excellent Super Etendards!

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 6:28 pm
Thanks for comments! :)

@Caddaric79
Super Etendard with ASMP added. :)
Missile itself done by Garlicdesign (while Exocet courtesy of Colosseum), but unfortunately the hardpoint with it's details (and exact location of missile under it) was done only based on (very few) photographs, so may not be completely accurate. :(

@Naixoterk
I'm afraid "it's You" - I don't have DC-3/C-47 mega-post in the making, though I'll do several more of them, at least for the Polish Wings (post-war), but perhaps one or two unrelated too. More likely are entries with L-10, L-14 and DC-2 (and some other aircraft) as I'd like to eventually add more paint schemes to planes that were done for Polish Wings and are lacking non-Polish paint schemes. But that's a low-priority thing for now.

[Profile] [Quote]
xt828
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 7th, 2014, 9:08 pm
USSR, Lavochkin La-250A
[new image in later post]

The Lavochkin La-250 was part of a development called K-15 started in 1952, aimed a producing a capability of intercepting enemies flying at Mach 1.18, at 20,000m, 500km from the home airbase. The planned radar and engine both encountered problems, forcing a redesign to use less capable substitutes. From the first flight in 1956, the testing was plagued with problems and crashes, with the five prototypes collectively only making a total of 21 flights before the program was cancelled in 1959. The programme was succeeded by that which produced the Tu-28/128. This was the last aircraft design of the Lavochkin OKB.

This is my first aircraft drawing. Information from Wikipedia.

Last edited by xt828 on April 11th, 2014, 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Radome
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 8th, 2014, 12:21 am
It's nice for a start.
But it lacks alot of detail, like shading...

[Profile] [Quote]
xt828
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 8th, 2014, 1:28 am
I used the shading of Gollevainen's MiG-19 as a guide, due to similar sweep and tail design. Is that not the standard form?

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: FD Scale Aircraft 8: The Next Generation Easy Search ThrPosted: April 8th, 2014, 2:01 am
Looking at the drawing you used and a few pictures on the web, the engine nacelles and body should have heavy shading to depict the seemingly circular shape same with the leading edge of the tail fin, to a lesser extent

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 27 of 52  [ 517 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 125 26 27 28 2952 »

Jump to: