Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 7:10 am
I wanted to take a break from here, but here is really my last comment for the next 7 days (at least).

While I personally don't consider such move necessary, I think that creation of separate forums/subforums:
-FD Air Vehicles
-FD Ground Vehicles
-FD Alternative Universe
-FD Miscellanous (ships, spacebucket etc.)
combined with transfer (and continuation) of already existing threads into them is indeed a reasonable move.

What I would not support in any manner would be complete locking off of old threads and creation of standard where each type ("family" of vehicles) must have a separate thread.
Unlike ships, types of ground and air vehicle are more numerous, not mentioning that for ships there are numerous "multi-ship" threads anyway ("Small Ships" for example, or my threads about Polish Navy). Rule of separate FD threads for each type would cause a creation of at least a thousand of new threads and need to re-post some 4000 files. Any volunteers to do it? :P ;) If each file were to be re-posted by it's author (or co-author) I would have to re-post nearly a quarter of that total, which makes it rather easy to understand why I'm not exactly enthusiastic about the idea.
Therefore I believe that multi-type threads like FD Scale Vehicles or FD Scale Aircraft should remain the main way of posting FD content.

Now, there has been pointed an issue of various older drawings being buried "under the newer threads" and difficult to find. It's perfectly reasonable and serious concern. I can see two basic solutions to that:
a) regular update of the FD section in the Main Archive:
http://www.shipbucket.com/images.php?di ... 0Scale%202
I am collecting files for that archive and can supply them for update at any moment.
b) creation of (regularly updated) "Master List" of all FD content in all categories - with both names and links to the pictures. I believe that something like that was attempted in the past but eventually discontinued. I am willing to volunteer to create and maintain such list.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 8:38 am
I think raising the profile is a good thing and FD deserves its own space rather than being tucked away under non-SB.

I think an air/land/AU/Misc layout would be good in the long term. Maybe open those and we could move to that for new posts. I don't mind consolidated posts as long as everything is labelled. I think a jumble of individual threads would just be overwhelming.

A (relatively) easier job than moving thousands of posts might be for someone to go through the aircraft threads and label the old drawings and fix that particular problem.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
pegasus206
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 9:50 am
Afther seeing the jumble FD is now i support eswube's thinking in creating FD forums/subforums. And transfer the older already existing threats in to them.

eswube wrote:
I think that creation of separate forums/subforums:
-FD Air Vehicles
-FD Ground Vehicles
-FD Alternative Universe
combined with transfer (and continuation) of already existing threads into them is indeed a reasonable move.
I liked it the way it was and I have tryed the new way but i am working now on Britshe trucks from WWII and think its better to make one thread for that than one for every type of truck i make.

Best Regards,
Aart.

Projects:

The Kingdom of Rochfort in FD

[Profile] [Quote]
LBraden
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 2:00 pm
pegasus206 wrote:
Afther seeing the jumble FD is now i support eswube's thinking in creating FD forums/subforums. And transfer the older already existing threats in to them.

eswube wrote:
-FD Air Vehicles
-FD Ground Vehicles
-FD Alternative Universe
I liked it the way it was and I have tryed the new way but i am working now on Britshe trucks from WWII and think its better to make one thread for that than one for every type of truck i make.
You have mostly what I was thinking, as I was thinking it be similar

FD Scale
- FD Air
-- British Royal Air Force 1913 - 1945
-- Luftwaffe - 1913 - 1945
-- USAAF / USAAC - 1913 - 1945
-- Early Civilian Flight
- FD Ground
-- British Army Vehicles 1939 - 1945
-- Iveco Trucks
-- Russian Military 1945 - Present
-- Organisational Charts
- FD Alternate Universe Equipment
-- Independent Federation of Australia
-- Kingdom of Rochford
-- Alternate Spanish Civil War
- FD Miscellaneous
-- USCG Small boats
-- NASA Projects
-- CCCP Space Projects

To me, that is easier than yomping though the 50 page mega-threads, and also makes it easier than having a topic on EVER vehicle done in FD scale.

Who else likes that idea?

[Profile] [Quote]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 2:38 pm
LBraden wrote:
pegasus206 wrote:

eswube wrote:
-FD Air Vehicles
-FD Ground Vehicles
-FD Alternative Universe
You have mostly what I was thinking, as I was thinking it be similar

FD Scale
- FD Air
-- British Royal Air Force 1913 - 1945
-- Luftwaffe - 1913 - 1945
-- USAAF / USAAC - 1913 - 1945
-- Early Civilian Flight
- FD Ground
-- British Army Vehicles 1939 - 1945
-- Iveco Trucks
-- Russian Military 1945 - Present
-- Organisational Charts
- FD Alternate Universe Equipment
-- Independent Federation of Australia
-- Kingdom of Rochford
-- Alternate Spanish Civil War
- FD Miscellaneous
-- USCG Small boats
-- NASA Projects
-- CCCP Space Projects

To me, that is easier than yomping though the 50 page mega-threads, and also makes it easier than having a topic on EVER vehicle done in FD scale.

Who else likes that idea?
I'd rather would organize it this way:
  • FD Air
    • Pre WW1 (1900-1913) (i don't think a partition between different type of airplanes is needed)
      ww1 (1914-1918)
      • fighters
        bombers
        seaplanes/flying boats
        trainers
        others
      interwar (1919-1939) (of course those listed here would only be examples)
      • Chinese Civil war -first period- (1927-1937)
        Italian Invasion of Abyssinia (1935-1936)
        Spanish Civil war (1936-1939)
        Others
      WW2 (1939-1945)
      • fighters
        bombers
        Seaplanes
        Flying boats
        trainers
        others
      Early Cold War (1946-1961)
      • First Arab Israeli War (1948-1949)
        Suez Crisis (1956)
        First Indo Pakistani War (1947-1949)
        The Korean War (1950-1953)
        Chinese Civil War - Second Period - (1946-1949)
        Indochina War (1946-1954)
        Others
      Late Cold War (1962-1989)
      • Vietnam war (1956-1975)
        Seven Days war (1967)
        Yom Kippur War (1973)
        Others
And so on, except for AU, which i think that each AU universe fits very well in a single thread.

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 3:44 pm
Hi Naixoterk,

My only concern with that is, for instance, the B-50, should that go in "Early Cold War", or, as a B-29 derivative, in "WW2"? I'm sure there are plenty of other examples to worry about. While there's always going to be some cases that cause trouble, splitting it into "bombers", "fighters" etc would, I think, result in fewer edge cases.

Regards,
Adam

[Profile] [Quote]
Caddaric79
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 6:25 pm
Oh my god... What's happening here ? :)

I salute the effort from Colosseum to made the topics more presentable, it's a good thing for our new members, but the idea to repost everything is a mistake.
Update regularly the main site will be better (perhaps the job is too boring?).

The strong point in Eswube comment is that he knows exactly whereof he speaks.

PS : please, can someone erase "Index", "Condensed", or at least un-stick it ? it's just à waste of place !

[Profile] [Quote]
Naixoterk
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 8:36 pm
apdsmith wrote:
Hi Naixoterk,

My only concern with that is, for instance, the B-50, should that go in "Early Cold War", or, as a B-29 derivative, in "WW2"? I'm sure there are plenty of other examples to worry about. While there's always going to be some cases that cause trouble, splitting it into "bombers", "fighters" etc would, I think, result in fewer edge cases.

Regards,
Adam
Indeed, but that's something that would happen with every reorganization option. I mean, from the very first time an option is chosen, there will be trouble to classiffy here or there because it's something inherent to a classification system.

Dornier Do.17/Do.215
    Heinkel He.79
    Junkers Ju.52
    Junkers J.I
Repainting:
  • Grumman F4F Wildcat/Grumman G-36
    Caproni Ca.135bis

[Profile] [Quote]
apdsmith
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 13th, 2014, 8:53 pm
Hi Naixoterk,

True enough, but I think everybody's at least agreed on "FD Air", "FD Ground", "FD Sea", "FD AU" and "FD Other" (or whatever you want to call them, the concept's more important than the name...) - content within that will probably be debated for some time yet by those with a stake in it, but that much, at least, seems to be good for everybody?

Ad

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: How to use these new FD scale subforums...Posted: May 14th, 2014, 4:59 am
Well, can guarantee there won't be that granular of a subdivision within the FD forum. ;)

I like apdsmith's proposal for FD Air, FD Ground, FD Sea, FD AU, and FD Other (likely to become FD Miscellaneous). I would suggest that the next level of separation be made into threads within the forum (for instance, a thread for 1950s Jets, 1960s Jets, etc).

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4 »

Jump to: