Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 78 of 107  [ 1070 posts ]  Go to page « 176 77 78 79 80107 »
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 10th, 2017, 9:55 pm
Is the 'Garuda' strike eagle not painted a lot darker? also, where is the actual garuda symbol on the side of the air intake?

[Profile] [Quote]
RaspingLeech
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 10th, 2017, 10:31 pm
I was using the F-15E -Talisman- skin in Infinity as reference and it only appeared to have the emblem on the left intake, my bad. As for the color, it doesn't seem to be any darker than the standard F-15s in game so I left that as-is.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 10th, 2017, 10:34 pm
RaspingLeech wrote: *
I was using the F-15E -Talisman- skin in Infinity as reference and it only appeared to have the emblem on the left intake, my bad. As for the color, it doesn't seem to be any darker than the standard F-15s in game so I left that as-is.
Hmmm I would consider AC6 as canon, but hey, it's your drawing :P in AC6 the colour is a lot darker than the basic grey shown here, darker even than the dark shade on the standard F-16, which is about http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb21 ... Falcon.png I think.

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 15th, 2017, 7:14 am
Ok, I think I've got my Wikipedian Airways livery to where I want it to be. I scrapped the old logo, which I always found lacking (and vaguely reminiscent of the "T" on the tail of Donald Trump's personal jet), in favor of a completely new one, and I decided against having any logo next to the fuselage titles. Also got rid of the texture, as it served no purpose and created headaches whenever I tried to edit the paint job due to having to maintain the pattern just right. (It was originally supposed to represent a reflective scheme, but I abandoned this idea once I realized how impractical it was on an airliner.) Made some other small tweaks as well. I think it looks much better now.

[ img ]

As a bonus, I did the Boeing 737 MAX-7 and MAX-9 in the same livery...
[ img ]

...and an Airbus A321neo. (EDIT: Now with CFM International LEAP-1A engine, as per BB1987's suggestion.)
[ img ]

More will be on the way, both from Wikipedian Airways and from other airlines. ;)

Last edited by Wikipedia & Universe on June 16th, 2017, 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 15th, 2017, 8:15 am
Jolly nice work Wikipedia my old fruit :D

jolly well done matey :!:

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 15th, 2017, 12:59 pm
That's some complicated paintscheme. I agree about the tail logo, it looks better than the old one. :D

I have just one observation to be made, not relative to the paintscheme job but to the aircrafts themselvs. The 787 has GE engines while the 737s mount 8the only choice in this case) the CFM turbofans, which do equip GE parts in them. Wouldn't it be more fitting, talking about engine commonality, to have the CFM on the A321 as well instead of the Pratt&Whitney?

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 16th, 2017, 8:16 pm
adenandy wrote: *
Jolly nice work Wikipedia my old fruit :D

jolly well done matey :!:
Thanks! :D
BB1987 wrote: *
That's some complicated paintscheme. I agree about the tail logo, it looks better than the old one. :D
Thanks. The overall scheme is essentially a refresh of the pre-2005 US Airways livery, the target being to make it prettier and more interesting. I made the whole fuselage "stripey" with alternating shades, flipped the colors of the cheatline, and made it "swooping" like the new KLM scheme.
Quote:
I have just one observation to be made, not relative to the paintscheme job but to the aircrafts themselvs. The 787 has GE engines while the 737s mount 8the only choice in this case) the CFM turbofans, which do equip GE parts in them. Wouldn't it be more fitting, talking about engine commonality, to have the CFM on the A321 as well instead of the Pratt&Whitney?
You know, I didn't even think of that, but it makes perfect sense. I wanted to use both engines for different airlines, and when deciding which carriers would use which, I hadn't taken parts commonality into account. Here's a re-engined drawing, which I've edited into the above post.

While I'm at it, here are two A310s in historical Wikipedian Airways liveries. If you look closely, you'll notice the Star Alliance logo on the second aircraft but not the first, as the airline did not join the alliance until 2004.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 16th, 2017, 8:28 pm
They both look cool. Is the globe a little touch to PanAm or a wikipedia-ish reference?
Lasting two years the first and three the other those liveries are a quite short-lived. But it is also true that in the 90s and early 00s USAirways and Delta flipped liveries as fast as the USN crammed DDs into service during WWII.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Colosseum
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 16th, 2017, 9:01 pm
I just don't "get" what "Wikipedia and Universe" is - is this a nation, or a company, or some non-profit group based on Wikipedia?

Maybe time for a more creative nation name?

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: FD AU 3Posted: June 16th, 2017, 10:38 pm
BB1987 wrote: *
They both look cool. Is the globe a little touch to PanAm or a wikipedia-ish reference?
Lasting two years the first and three the other those liveries are a quite short-lived. But it is also true that in the 90s and early 00s USAirways and Delta flipped liveries as fast as the USN crammed DDs into service during WWII.
Thanks. The globe is more Wikipedia-based, but does draw inspiration from airlines such as PanAm and Continental/United. The iconic puzzle logo of Wikipedia didn't debut until 2003, and I try to avoid using any obvious copyrighted images, anyway (which is basically a holdover from WikiStates paranoia and may or may not still be justified). The two logos used in 2001 weren't the easiest on the eye, certainly not anything I'd want to put on an airliner:
[ img ][ img ]

I decided to go with the W, as glyphs themselves are free, and I wanted something more interesting than a simple circle as the background, hence the globe.

The reason for the rapid change in liveries can be attributed to a new airline trying to figure out its brand identity. The first was hastily thrown together shortly after the official establishment of Wikipedia and Universe, with a more "primitive" logo. The second was a more considered revamp, featuring an overall gray livery introducing the "stripey" fuselage and a thicker cheatline to match, a darker blue with blue engines, and the "Winged W" logo, essentially a "stylized but not quite there yet" theme, if you follow.

The current livery, introduced in 2006 with only minor tweaks since then, is more definitive, integrating colors and patterns from both of the previous liveries into the overall blue scheme you see now. The "W" tail logo did away with the wing effect and oriented the "stripe" effect along the lines of the letter instead of cutting across, enabling the W to be larger. The font was changed from Times New Roman to Hoefler text in the 2006 redesign, then to Linux Libertine in late 2010 (with the "crossed W" preserved in the new style) to complement the redesign of the Wikipedia logo and commemorate the upcoming decennial of both wiki and nation.
Colosseum wrote: *
I just don't "get" what "Wikipedia and Universe" is - is this a nation, or a company, or some non-profit group based on Wikipedia?

Maybe time for a more creative nation name?
It's a nation. The name is admittedly a holdover from when I was a young newbie. It seems awkward in retrospect, but virtually the entire storyline is designed around it, so I essentially retconned an explanation into its history, complete with fierce debate among the framers over a slew of different options. The name is intended to represent the unity of multiple concepts represented by each word: Wikipedia is freedom and knowledge for all, and Universe emphasizes openness and a connection with the infinite (contrasting with the authoritarianism, restriction of information, isolation from the world, and general backwardness of its predecessor state). Take it as you will.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 78 of 107  [ 1070 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 176 77 78 79 80107 »

Jump to: