Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 7th, 2014, 9:35 pm
A thread for the oddballs and freaks of history and today.

Thanks goes to eswube for providing references for these weird vessels from the book "Niezwykłe okręty" (Unusual Ships) by Jan Piwowoński.

Wilcox Sea Palace. This boat is similar to the Winans family's cigar ships, however it had two cigar shaped hulls and is propelled by two small paddle wheels mounted between the hulls.
[ img ]

Sang's Raft. This boat is along the same vein as Ernest Bazin's roller ships, however its rollers are cylindrical in shape and have buckets similar to paddle wheels rather than being smooth discs.

I asked eswube if the book mentioned the national origin of the boat or its inventor, Frederik Sang, however the book does not contain the origin of this vessel. I researched the name through some ancestry sites and was able to find one man from the 19th century with that exact name who lived in the Kingdom of Bavaria. I feel safe to assume this is the same man mentioned in the book as the inventor of this roller boat.
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 5:08 pm
Excellent work. Great to see them done. :)
(and I'm happy I could help in making them)

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 5:09 pm
I've never heard of the Wilcox ship, any history on it?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 5:19 pm
Perhaps ONI-Defense has better sources - I got, besides the drawing, only short paragraph in a book, stating that it was built ca. 1860 (and later giving a brief description of its construction). Apparently not much is known about its performance, but the author of the book I got expressed belief that it rather wasn't a succesful design.

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 5:58 pm
Thanks eswube.

@Rodondo - Unfortunately the most extensive source of information on either vessel is the short passages in "Niezwykłe okręty" that mention them. They seem to be experimental vessels that were little known outside of the communities of their builders.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 6:13 pm
Must be a NSW thing, as I haven't heard of it in the history of the Colony of Victoria, fairly large undertaking for a place with limited infrastructure at the time

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 7:35 pm
Captain Robert M. Fryer, an American sea captain and inventor, designed and built his own variation of the roller ship concept in 1882 named the Alice No.1, which became known as the "queerest craft to ply the Hudson". Built at a yard in the village of Hastings-on-the-Hudson, New York, the unusual craft consisted of a triangular frame that supported the main deck and the small deckhouse and engine room which floated on and was propelled by three cylindrical wheels. She was approximately 12 meters long and was 10 meters wide at the stern. On her maiden voyage, she traveled to the town of Hastings, New York through the Oneida River, traveling part of the way on land.

Before the Alice No.1 was built, Robert Fryer had built a smaller prototype to test the design which used spherical rollers instead, a holdover from his original roller design which was tested on a water velocipede (waterbike) in 1870.

Robert M. Fryer planned a larger ocean going steamship based on the Alice No.1 named Alice No.2, however it was never built.

[ img ]

Last edited by ONI-Defense on October 8th, 2014, 8:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Imperialist
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 8:06 pm
It's always nice seeing something a little bit different on here, good work!

Germany AU Thread
Luft '46 Thread

List of Aircraft with Acquired Data (Updated)
http://www.shipbucket.com/forums/viewto ... 80#p123956

[Profile] [Quote]
ONI-Defense
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 8th, 2014, 8:58 pm
Thanks, Imperialist. By the way, I love your drawings of the Me-262 series.

[Profile] [Quote]
raafif
Post subject: Re: Odd Vehicles And ShipsPosted: October 9th, 2014, 2:26 am
Love those odd-ball ships, ONI-Defense :) Will you do plan & head-on drawings of the Sea Palace ? really needs them to show the paddles between the hulls & method of hull-connection.

Here's my Lauster-Wargel series so far ....
These were designed as airfield / pioneer / swamp tractors between 1939 & 1947. Not sure whether the dimensions of the LW-2 & LW-3 are absolutely correct due to the limited info that has survived ... still doing research in the archives.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 14 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: