Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 4 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3 4
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's ketchPosted: October 29th, 2014, 9:10 pm
Yeah, I had a look into it, decided to have the inner and outer layers fore-aft and the center layer diagonal. Good compromise between simplicity and strength IMO.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Wizard
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's ketchPosted: October 30th, 2014, 2:26 am
Point of Order - I thought a Ketch was two-masted with a mainmast taller than her mizzen. Am I out of date with my definition or is this actually a sloop of some sort?

I gotta' say I love the vessel tho'.

Edit: She might be a Cutter.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's ketchPosted: October 30th, 2014, 2:45 am
No, you are completely correct by standard definition, it is a cutter. However for reasons unknown, a cutter in my family's vocabulary is a long boat with a sailing rig, ketch has either 1 or 2 masts and is just larger than most trailer-sailers, again I don't know why but yes it is a cutter by standard definition

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Rodondo's ketchPosted: November 10th, 2014, 3:18 am
Nothing much to report, yesterday went to what I'm certain is the last steam-bending factory in Aus to see the process and the tools involved. Some impressive devices that were brought from Sweden in 1887, mostly hand driven machinery with great big gears like cartwheels and long timber levers!

Still it was a great visit and reaffirmed my view that Spotted gum was an ideal choice of timber, especially seeing the timbers that had failed upon bending, like a length of Radiata which had collapsed on the interior curve to the point of complete structural breakage despite only a small degree of curvature.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 4 of 4  [ 34 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 1 2 3 4

Jump to: