Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 5 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 19th, 2015, 3:02 pm
I doubt you're actually going to get Tornadoes to get the radar off of if you manage to keep a strategic platform around. The whole reason they appeared was we didn't actually have a strike platform any more other than the Buccaneer.

[Profile] [Quote]
adenandy
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 19th, 2015, 8:44 pm
:idea: Just thinking out loud, but what about some kind of hybred, a cross between the Vulcan 3 and the B1 Lancer... No idea on looks or weapons. This is just an idea on the back of a cigarette paper down the pub after a beer or three...

I also lke the idea of a rotating Bomb Bay, but I also like the idea of the capability to carpet bomb. so whilst Nuclear Strike capability is an absolute *MUST*, the ability to carry a SHED load of ordinary Ordnance is an important secondary consideration. Precision bombing can be left to the Phantoms and the Buccaneers and the Jaguars and the Tornados.

That and the ability to bomb somebody and be back in time for tea, also goes without saying :D

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 20th, 2015, 12:34 pm
I had some crazy idea the Vulcan in the 80s would have a maritime strike capability with 12x Sea Eagles. The 70s and 80s were sparse for decent guided conventional weapons of a strategic nature and if TSR/Tornado is in the scenario they will be doing most of the tactical striking. ALCM though in the 80s would allow them to add firepower (HE & nuke) against targets further away from the frontline.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 25th, 2015, 1:17 pm
Hood, I've had the same ideas. Since 27 Squadron operated in the maritime radar recce role, you could potentially bomb em up with underwing Sea Eagles after a late 70s MLU.

Slightly different tack, but if you were designing a strategic bomber from scratch today, what would be the starting point? I'm thinking about a wing design not unlike the Boeing Sonic Cruiser project with semi-submerged high-bypass turbofans, mated to a new fuselage

Currently working on:
The October War, 27-10-1962 (apparently forever);
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;
Federation of the Channel Islands AU;
Republic of Yopur & Andaman;
some sort of overarching AU;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 25th, 2015, 7:17 pm
llamaman2 wrote:
Slightly different tack, but if you were designing a strategic bomber from scratch today, what would be the starting point? I'm thinking about a wing design not unlike the Boeing Sonic Cruiser project with semi-submerged high-bypass turbofans, mated to a new fuselage
Where are you going to operate them Ie do you need stealth, supersonic, etc ? (or do you go for a large drone ?)

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 25th, 2015, 11:08 pm
JSB wrote:
Where are you going to operate them Ie do you need stealth, supersonic, etc ? (or do you go for a large drone ?)
Similar to B-52 ops, post Cold War. Primarily stand-off missile platform but able to operate in free-fall bombing role either at low level or where air superiority has been assured.

Currently working on:
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
JSB
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 26th, 2015, 7:13 am
llamaman2 wrote:
JSB wrote:
Similar to B-52 ops, post Cold War. Primarily stand-off missile platform but able to operate in free-fall bombing role either at low level or where air superiority has been assured.
Why not just use C130s or C17s ? or Drones ? I just think B52s are only really used as they are already paid for, post 1990 you are not going to spend the cash to develop a new bomber that cant actually be used v anyone with any air defence.

[Profile] [Quote]
llamaman2
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 26th, 2015, 10:06 am
I honestly don't see the mission being applicable for drones. I'm in favour of keeping humans in the loop for maximum mission flexibility, letting your bomber search for targets of opportunity if needed. Basically I'm thinking of the need to carry out something akin to Operation Black Buck, which wouldn't have been possible with (say) Belfasts. Stealth would be kept to an affordable minimum, with RAM surrounding the cockpit, bomb bay, engines and other large concentrations of metal. Rest of the airframe would be made from radar-porous carbon fibre composites. As much of the technology would be off-the-shelf as possible to keep the cost down, so commercial engines, FBW, FADEC etc.

Currently working on:
"Saxonverse" alt-UK;

Regaining my sanity.

[Profile] [Quote]
rifleman2
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 26th, 2015, 11:12 am
vulcan as an EW platform would be interesting both as a recce aircraft and a wild weasel maybe with standard and Shrike or Martel or laterly ALARM but with Lumps and bumps for antenna for various systems?

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: FD Aircraft design challengePosted: July 26th, 2015, 1:01 pm
I would prefer standoff missiles to be mounted to fighter-bombers or multirole fighters. This takes advantage of the flexibility of the said aircraft while reducing costs, as you need fewer kinds of aircraft that drives down maintenance costs due to commonality. For long range missions, CFT's, droptanks and refueling tankers would be used.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 5 of 9  [ 86 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 79 »

Jump to: