Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 26 of 51  [ 503 posts ]  Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2851 »
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: September 30th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Interesting designs.

Wb21
The "Nondescript" is probably up-scaled Hawker P.1129, but also looks like a down-scaled Tu-22M minus VG wings. ;) Pity it didn't made it to challenge.

The_Sprinklez
I suppose that biggest problem would be size of elevators, with second being height, but otherwise they aren't hugely bigger than Avenger (though certainly thanks to being twin-engined their number possible to be squeezed would be significantly smaller).

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 1st, 2020, 10:27 pm
Originally I wasn't planning to draw these - recent Heavy Tank Challenge prompted me merely to experiment with drawing rear drive wheel together with track around it, as I noticed in the past on some Artists drawings', that it's sometimes quite challenging to draw neatly. After I had the rear wheel, I just drew rest of the suspension and then... thought I could equally well fill it to completion. ;)

Work below is expanded version of my entry to 'Endgame' Heavy Tank Challenge ( viewtopic.php?p=196671#p196671 )

Cold War-related tensions and increased threat from Red Ruthenian Union prompted in late 1940s Faroffistan to invest in replacement of various categories of combat equipment of World War 2 vintage. Among these needing replacement were WB-12 heavy tanks, that although introduced in 1942, were based basically on outdated pre-war technologies and were no match to the newest Ruthenian JZ-3 heavy tanks armed with 122 mm guns. After a somewhat prolonged development period, WB-16 (Wóz Bojowy - Combat Vehicle or Combat Car) was finally introduced in 1957. Like most other contemporary heavy tanks, they suffered from heavily taxed engine, small range and limited amount of ammunition carried, but were considered an adequate response to Ruthenian tanks, including the newest JZ-6. In service, WD-16 equipped 4 armoured divisions (1st, 5th, 11th and 16th - each with single Heavy Tank Battalion of 31 tanks in 3 companies) and 2 'breakthrough tank' regiments (4th and 6th - essentialy oversized battalions with 5 tank companies and 1 assault gun company, plus support units - 51 tanks per regiment), with some more being used by Armoured Forces School and few dozen being purchased as reserve. In early 1960s tanks were upgraded to WB-16M standard with - besides few minor equipment changes - better engine of slightly greater power and fuel efficiency and a large searchlight above the gun barrel. In late 1960s concept of heavy tank was clearly outdated and existing designs weren't really offering any significant advantage over new main battle tanks, so first both separate regiments were disbanded, while in divisions WB-16M's lingered until early-to-mid 1970s when they were placed in reserve, earmarked for 'mob.' division (created only during wartime), where they remained until early 1990s. It must be noted, that WB-16 achieved quite substantial export success, with nearly 70 being sold to Herzoslovakia and 120 'brand new' to Ramat, followed by 70 more 'second hand'(both purchases accompanied by number of derivative specialized variants).

[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]

Introduction of WB-16 created a substantial problem for maintenance services, since it was heavier than armoured recovery vehicles used at that time could cope. Therefore, a WZT-4 (Wóz Zabezpieczenia Technicznego - Technical Support Vehicle) was built on WB-16 chassis. 2 such vehicles were attached to each tank battalion, 1 to each heavy assault guns battalion, 3 to each divisional maintenance battalion (total of 6 per division), and 3 to each breakthrough tank regiment, while few more were used for training and as reserves.

[ img ]

Early on the new chassis was considered as potentially good basis for heavy assault gun, utilizing powerful 150 mm gun-howitzer. Named DS-3 (Działo Szturmowe - Assault Cannon), each armoured division received a battalion of these (16 guns in each, split between 3 companies and commander's vehicle) and each breakthrough regiment had single company of 5 guns (and of course some more were used for training etc.)

[ img ]

While not originally intended to be used as such, the spacious 'superstructure' of DS-3 was quickly noticed as being possible convenient accomodation for command detail, together with communications equipment. Little over a dozen extra DS-like hulls was ordered and were converted into command vehicles (WD-2 - Wóz Dowodzenia - command vehicle) - 1 each for every heavy tank and heavy assault gun battalion and 2 for each separate regiment.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 3rd, 2020, 8:44 am
Great additions from everyone.

The USN Havoc variant is a great idea. You could always use it as a land-based design alongside the Ventura/Harpoon. Its wonderfully well drawn too.

That's an impressive series of tanks eswube. I agree drawing good tracks is not always easy to make it look neat.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Albert1099
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 9th, 2020, 5:35 am
My entry on the Heavy Tank Challenge expanded:
Yugoslavia, M-53 Vepar

[ img ]

Other Versions:
[ img ]
[ img ]

Other Users:
[ img ]

Sent 'em running to the huts!"

Last edited by Albert1099 on October 24th, 2020, 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bordkanone 75
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 14th, 2020, 6:03 am
[ img ]
[ img ]
[ img ]
Never too much.

[Profile] [Quote]
Cplnew83
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 20th, 2020, 2:22 pm
After the failed attempt of 1983 and 1989, the French Defence Minister Charles Millon signed the purchase of 26 F-18C(FN) to McDonnell-Douglas in 1995 to replace the aging F-8E(FN) to fill the gap with the long-awaited "Rafale M". All the planes were delivered between August 1996 and september 1997 by Boeing : 12 for the 14F Naval Squadron (flottille 14F) and 12 for the 15F Naval Squadron, 2 more stored.

[ img ]

PS : The aéronavale roundel is copied on excellent Eswube Super-Etendard drawing, merci à lui

Worklist, FD scale submarines and ships :
- Project 971 "Akula" (80%)
- Project 705 "Alpha" (10%)
- Project 371 (70%)
- Project 1459 (30%)
- Projekt 151 Sassnitz (To be redone)

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: October 21st, 2020, 10:06 am
Very nice additions from everyone.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Cplnew83
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: November 11th, 2020, 3:06 pm
IRL : In 2018 French General Grintchenko, commanding ALAT, declared that he wished to acquire 15 Pilatus PC-12 or Cessna 208 Grand Caravan to fulfill roles where the use of helicopters wasn’t necessary.

AU : In 2020, General Burkhard, Armée de Terre Chief of Staff, announced the purchase of 15 PC-12/47E :
- Three for the 9e Régiment de Soutien Aéromobile along the 5 Pilatus PC-6 already in service in transport role.
- Twelve for the newly created 7e Régiment Aéromobile (replacing the disbanded 7e Régiment d’hélicoptères de Combat) to form two Escadrilles de Surveillance et d’Interdiction of six aircraft each. These twelve PC-12/47E have modular payload (EO suite, SIGINT package, C2 module or Viper-E through-door launcher (as a mini ‘’Harvest Hawk’’)).

[ img ]

Worklist, FD scale submarines and ships :
- Project 971 "Akula" (80%)
- Project 705 "Alpha" (10%)
- Project 371 (70%)
- Project 1459 (30%)
- Projekt 151 Sassnitz (To be redone)

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: December 6th, 2020, 6:54 pm
Lovely additions, Mates!

Recently I encountered a remark (rather lacking details and made somewhat "by the way", I'm afraid), that in late 1960s/early 1970s representatives of Yugoslav and Rumanian aircraft industries inofficialy approached their Polish counterparts with intent of making the would-be J-22 Orao/IAR-93 Vultur a tripartite project (thanks to earlier design effort on TS-16 Grot, I believe). Unfortunately there was no real interest on our side, but I wanted to see how these aircraft would look in Polish service.

Obviously, since Poland did not joined the project, it can't be included in the proper Never-were thread (nor as appendix to Polish Wings), so this one seems relatively most appropriate.
Camouflages used are based on real paint schemes applied on SBLim-2 (MiG-15UTI) and Lim-5/6 (MiG-17) of the Polish Air Force and Navy between late 1960s and early 1990s. You will also certainly notice that I created a fanciful recon nose for two of them, for an equivalent of recon SBLim-2A/Art.
As for the M-11 designation: "M-..." sequence was used by PZL-Mielec works, which would be most likely manufacturer of these aircraft, and number 11 was roughly appropriate chronologically to the period when it would be made. In fact, the M-11 was a never-were project of light tourer/training/communications aircraft developed in cooperation with Yugoslavia.

PZL M-11 (SOKO J-22 Orao / IAR-93 Vultur)
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: FD AU 4Posted: December 7th, 2020, 8:30 am
eswube wrote: *
Unfortunately there was no real interest on our side...
Well, tradition is tradition...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 26 of 51  [ 503 posts ]  Return to “FD Scale Drawings” | Go to page « 124 25 26 27 2851 »

Jump to: