Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 6 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »
darthpanda
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 12th, 2011, 5:29 pm
Dear Hood I am apologise if I offend you, this topic is getting on my skin, it bring back bad memoires of 1989.

- RHKAAF / HKGFS - 皇家香港輔助空軍 / 政府飛行服務隊
- Gunbucket - LINK

天滅中共全黨死清光!

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 12th, 2011, 10:25 pm
On a purely personal and selfish point of view,being the Father of two boys aged 23 and 18,I really don't need this kicking of big time.I'm as sick as anyone watching the weekly funeral processions through Wooton Basset.Even more galling that the,and I choose my words carefully,gentleman from that neck of the woods,gets a £50 fine from the Majestrates for burning poppies on Remberence day.Ah,I forget to mention said gentleman gets £250 a week state hand out for himself and his family.Free education and health care.Free housing,and the right to complain about it.Exactly what sort of sentance would be given for a similar offence in any of these countries.I do not think the Libyan people of either faction would thank anyone interfering in what is there own civil war,anymore than the people of Iraq or Afghanistan do now.For all British PM's blustering Britain has nothing to send even if it wanted to.This is not our [GB] fight.Why can't the very well equiped Royal Saudi air force patrol a no fly zone ?

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 10:02 am
Thanks Darth, I realise you feel strongly about this issue its easy to get carried away with emotions. I didn't think you meant any malice.

I think as you can see us Brits have had our fair share of propping up regimes and intervening in affairs acorss all the continents (Malaya, Aden, Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Iraq (twice), Afghanistan, Rhodesia, Kenya, Korea, Cyprus, Bornero, Belize, Somalia, Jordan, Bosnia to name a few) and seen too many body bags and so little change at the end of the effort that we now tend to be sceptical of trying to intervene in every crisis. But that doesn't mean we don't care about whats going on.

Perhaps we should reflect that mother nature has killed nearly 2,000 Japanese in one terrible moment. Such thngs are outside our control but such events like Libya and the whole list of nations above are within our control and its sad that humans still feel the need to dominate and kill each other off when nature herself makes Earth a dangerous place to be sometimes. People never really learn from history.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:38 am
Hood wrote:
Thanks Darth, I realise you feel strongly about this issue its easy to get carried away with emotions. I didn't think you meant any malice.

I think as you can see us Brits have had our fair share of propping up regimes and intervening in affairs acorss all the continents (Malaya, Aden, Northern Ireland, Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Iraq (twice), Afghanistan, Rhodesia, Kenya, Korea, Cyprus, Bornero, Belize, Somalia, Jordan, Bosnia to name a few) and seen too many body bags and so little change at the end of the effort that we now tend to be sceptical of trying to intervene in every crisis. But that doesn't mean we don't care about whats going on.

Perhaps we should reflect that mother nature has killed nearly 2,000 Japanese in one terrible moment. Such thngs are outside our control but such events like Libya and the whole list of nations above are within our control and its sad that humans still feel the need to dominate and kill each other off when nature herself makes Earth a dangerous place to be sometimes. People never really learn from history.
That's the sad truth of reality. Lessons identified, but obvious not lessons learned :!: That's why I pledge for supporting the freedom fighters, but not to intervene with land troops (which they anyway neither want).

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
Glorfindel
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:47 am
I am also on the side of Darth Panda. The european politcs concerning libya has absolutly failed. We supported his regime because he has oil and are now not willing to support the rebels. We should at least establish a non flying zone and deliver weapons and ammunition to the rebels and train them. Gaddafi is responsible for regime of terror in his own country, he bombs now cilivian. He supported in the past nearly all existing terror organizations like RAF, IRA, etc. and he was responsible for the bombing of an Air France plane and the Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie. But the most of our politicians don't want to hear that. They just close their eyes. People like him are never overthrown by pacifist but at the end by men with rifles in their hands.

I must also say, that for problems like afghanistan, there is no proper solution, not military, not politically and not morally, because everthing what you do seems to be bad. In libya I just would support the rebels, I am more sceptical what a prolonged land invasion concerns. And I hope, that in the future the european countries are more cautious with their relations to dictators and mass murderers.

[Profile] [Quote]
swin_lad
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 3:32 pm
Glorfindel wrote:
I am also on the side of Darth Panda. The european politcs concerning libya has absolutly failed. We supported his regime because he has oil and are now not willing to support the rebels. We should at least establish a non flying zone and deliver weapons and ammunition to the rebels and train them. Gaddafi is responsible for regime of terror in his own country, he bombs now cilivian. He supported in the past nearly all existing terror organizations like RAF, IRA, etc. and he was responsible for the bombing of an Air France plane and the Pan Am bombing over Lockerbie. But the most of our politicians don't want to hear that. They just close their eyes. People like him are never overthrown by pacifist but at the end by men with rifles in their hands.

I must also say, that for problems like afghanistan, there is no proper solution, not military, not politically and not morally, because everthing what you do seems to be bad. In libya I just would support the rebels, I am more sceptical what a prolonged land invasion concerns. And I hope, that in the future the european countries are more cautious with their relations to dictators and mass murderers.
I agree with the arming rebels but, even though it has been mentioned in other places I don't agree with anything such as an Invasion. I fell that, having known people from the Falklands, Iraq, Sierra Leone, Iraq, Kosovo, NI and Afgan that any military intervention on a large scale should be avoided at all costs. I fell a no fly zone should be implemented and a UN safe zone for civilians and foreign nationals be set up on the Tunisian and Egyption borders.

Many Thanks

Nick

@ashwellkennedy

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Surely with todays technology we must know exactly where Gaddafi is,electronic emisions phones etc.A Trident 2 fitted with a 5 ton conventional HE warhead should do the job.With a CEP of less than 100m you can't miss.It nearly worked against Saddam when they found him in a restaurant in Bagdad,and only missed him because of the time it took to scramble the bombers.Surely someone must have a boomer in the Med.5 mins flight time.Jobs a good un.The longest range sniper shot in history.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 13th, 2011, 11:47 pm
Bombhead wrote:
Surely with todays technology we must know exactly where Gaddafi is,electronic emisions phones etc.A Trident 2 fitted with a 5 ton conventional HE warhead should do the job.With a CEP of less than 100m you can't miss.It nearly worked against Saddam when they found him in a restaurant in Bagdad,and only missed him because of the time it took to scramble the bombers.Surely someone must have a boomer in the Med.5 mins flight time.Jobs a good un.The longest range sniper shot in history.
:lol: Not a bad idea :D

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 14th, 2011, 2:12 am
Bombhead wrote:
  1. If the good Colonel is off the grid, we might not know where he is.
  2. Why a conventional warhead at all? The KE from a mass eqivelent to the warhead is going to be higher than the chemical energy of the blast.
  3. As far as I know, Nobody operates SSBNs in the Med. The Med is shallow, enclosed, and offers only one exit.
  4. An SLBM shot is going to scare the crap out of everyone for the first 5 minutes until the path is confirmed.

[Profile] [Quote]
Bombhead
Post subject: Re: HMS Cumberland evacuating from LibyaPosted: March 14th, 2011, 2:19 am
All very true Timothy,but I bet someone in the Pentagon has already thought of it :lol: :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 6 of 7  [ 64 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 13 4 5 6 7 »

Jump to: