Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ] 
moxica
Post subject: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 19th, 2011, 2:34 pm
http://www.thelocal.se/35646/20110819/
Finally they might have found Mars, it is said that she looked almost identical with Vasa

[Profile] [Quote]
bezobrazov
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 19th, 2011, 8:32 pm
Well, that cannot be true...since there's over 70 years of development between them! I have researched both the Makalös and S:t Erik, and I did draw both of them (the way I interpretted them, that is!) in the 1980s. The chief difference between the earlier vessels and the Wasa, is the fact that the earlier ones are referred to as 'krafels' or 'kravels', meaning that they had a carrack-shaped hull, i e with a relatively short and tubby hull, the L:B ratio being no more than 3:1 to 3 1/2:1, whereas Wasa was a galeon built ship with a much slender hull, ration being 4.1:1. Also, the two Erician vessels had large foc'sle and stern castles brimming with lighter guns. The armament on the main decks looked a little different too: whereas the Wasa can boast with two full decks of 24 lb guns (which caused her capsizing!), 25 in all per side, the two earlier behemots would not have carried more than upwards of 10 a side, maybe as many as 14, all mixed calibre. Also the rigging was vastly more complicated on these ships, with a fourth mast added.
Probably the S:t Eric was about Wasa's size, or slightly smaller, probably at about 1,000 tons, where Wasa burthened 1,200 tons. The Mars or Makalös was substantially larger, with approx 1,500 tons, rivalling the Scottish St Michael or English Henri Grace Dieu and French Marie de La Cordeliere. The Lubeckian Jaegermeister might have rivalled the Mars in turn, though.
Not till the first Riks-Kronan of 1633 did the Swedes build another such ship!

[Profile] [Quote]
moxica
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 19th, 2011, 9:18 pm
Taken from Aftonbladet :lol: an expert they interviewed claimed Mars to be looking like Vasa but bigger for a untrained eye that is :lol:

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:32 pm
Can she be raised like the Vasa? I would love to go to Stockholm and see her

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Eeo
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm
If she went down as the result of a sea battle with 800 souls aboard, she's a war grave. Never mind the fact that she's been down there for 447 years -- it is still the last resting place for the souls that crewed her and they deserve to be allowed to rest in peace!

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 21st, 2011, 10:48 pm
True, does that morals for Vasa's raising are a bit shaky?

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Chris Roach
Post subject: Re: Hidden on the bottom and now found againPosted: August 22nd, 2011, 5:43 am
Interesting... any more details on her state of preservation though? The article states she's well preserved by then proceeds to describe the site (in a somewhat contradictory manner) thus:
Quote:
The wreckage is reportedly solid oak and the seabed is strewn with bronze cannons...
Which would seem to suggest to may that much of the structure of the wreck has given way (I'd have expected most cannons on the gun-deck to have remained confined aboard if she was largely intact...).

Just, if they do decide they want to raise her they'd better get onto it soon. Back in the 1980s the poms' missed such a chance when the wreck of the 1670s vintage third rate Stirling Castle emerged from the sand and discovered to be substantially intact (well preserved to gun-deck level... bloody amazing when sister ships lost mere kilometers away during the same storm are now just ballast mounds). Needless to say, no action was taken and the wreck in now in the process of collapse...

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: