Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 43 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Go to page « 141 42 43 44 45 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 25th, 2015, 6:31 am
sebu wrote:
Oh, ok. Then there should be C/D + or E/F "Hellenic" version. I don't know what are requirements for Hellenic Air Force but current Gripen itself is quite narrow platform for upgrades... But one solution might be C/D+ with CFTs an AESA radar. And possibly ""plug and play" Growler-version for D; would it be "Drawler" then :)

[ img ]
E/F main modification is that the landing system was transferred to wings and this allowed two more pylons, increased load and fuel capacity. Since the F414 engine was available from 2000, this improved variant could be developed earlier, using for the beginning electronics of "C", which were quite good for early 2000's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab_JAS_39_Gripen

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 25th, 2015, 6:44 am
Below Deck Mk26 (all possible variants). Here (http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Weapons/Mk26_GMLS.pdf) the 64 missile Mk26 mod2 is included also.

In our US parts sheet there is also an 84-missile variant

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 25th, 2015, 10:43 am
odysseus1980 wrote:
sebu wrote:
Oh, ok. Then there should be C/D + or E/F "Hellenic" version. I don't know what are requirements for Hellenic Air Force but current Gripen itself is quite narrow platform for upgrades... But one solution might be C/D+ with CFTs an AESA radar. And possibly ""plug and play" Growler-version for D; would it be "Drawler" then :)

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: May 25th, 2015, 11:14 am
odysseus1980 wrote:
odysseus1980 wrote:
sebu wrote:

[ img ]
Hellenic variant of Gripen entered service with Cypriot Air Force (AU)-CAF first, since Cypriots had the modernized, but still fairly obsolete Mirage IIIEM2. All ex-RHAF Mirage IIIE given in late 1980's and early 1990's were rebuilt to "almost-NG" spec with fly-by-wire system from M2k, Magic II, Python 3/4 missiles among other, including laser guided bombs. The Gripen C is very maneuverable and is a difficult opponent for RHAF aircraft, as exercises under Center of Flying Tactics School or RHAF (KEAT, Κέντρο Αεροπορικής Τακτικής) has shown. 40 aircraft were assembled in SHAF from 2008 to 2012, with some CAF engineers also took part. HLK has ordered its own variant, based on Gripen E/F airframe. Deliveries will start from 2018.

Aircraft in template from various other AUs, many thanks to all artists.

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 7:06 am
Comparison between CSA Rafael Semmes and Conon Mk2:

The Rafael Semmes was my inspiration for the Conon Mk1/Mk2 small frigates (the Mk1 does not has the break in superstructure) back in 2010. Does I still have to credit the original drawing?

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Judah14
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: June 2nd, 2015, 1:02 pm
odysseus1980 wrote:
Comparison between CSA Rafael Semmes and Conon Mk2:

The Rafael Semmes was my inspiration for the Conon Mk1/Mk2 small frigates (the Mk1 does not has the break in superstructure) back in 2010. Does I still have to credit the original drawing?
I don't think so, as they only share a similar design and no part of the original drawing was copied.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 2:27 pm
Return to this thread, since I have something to ask.

Apart from the current "ambitious" Hellenic AU-1, I have in mind also a more realistic one, based on reality, named "What real Hellas should have done", Hellenic Navy AU-2. Again, economy goes better than real Hellas and military orders are better organised.

In this case, I have thought a mix of S-Class/L-Class/Type 23 frigates, which history goes like this:

Exactly as real Hellas, two S-Class frigates were bought new in 1980-1981. Then, Hellas agrees with Netherlands to built six more under lisence. During the program, lets say in 1986, Hellas changed the deal and replaces the last 2 "S" with 2 "L". So, in 1990, Hellenic Navy has 6 X "S-Class" and 2 X "L-Class". All these "S" are the Elli Class, with twin Oto Melara 76mm and twin Phalanx in sides. Frigate program continues in 1992 with the British Type 23. Type 23HN has the most powerful Spey Turbines and twin side mounted Goalkeeper CIWS (latter is already in service on the two L-class). Again, six ships ordered (2 built in Britain and 4 in Hellas under lisence). The Type 23HN features (you guess it!) Sea Wolf VL and the Mk8 4.5" gun. Program includes 100% offsets, among them manufacture license for 4.5" rounds.

In late 1990's, a modernisation program for the Elli Class started. The modifications were quite extensive.

-MK48 VLS mod 1 was fitted in hangar (like in M-Class)
-Twin CIWS Goalkeeper
-Latest LW-08 radar
-other like in real program
-It was also the time for servicing gas turbines, so they are gradually are upgrated (Tynes in RM1C/5,350hp and Olympus in TM3B/28,000hp) with that chance, allowing some speed increase.
-Also the helipad is strenghened to allow landing of larger helicopter.
-Later modifications included change of Harpoon missiles with Exocet MM40 Block3.

Hellas bought also 6 more "S" and the other 2 "L" from Dutch Navy.

After the end of Elli Class modernisation, is time for modernise the L-Class.

-Engines like above

-Can a L-Class fitted with Mk48 and a second Goalkeeper at front? This is the main question.

-Mk13 launcher contains a mix of SM-1/SM-2 missiles
-Like Elli Class, they are receiving Exocet MM40 Block3, while still can take 4 Harpoon in their Mk13 GMLS

In a defense magazine of my country, I read in an article a proposal for converting one of 2 S-Class to OPV. So, this was the fate of these extra ex-Dutch "S-class" frigates. Hellenic Coast Guard AU-2 had already several Vosper 250 patrol vessels (its blueprints were offsets from Type 23 program), several Saar 4 and a number of locally designed 80-100m OPVs. The S-Class OPV has powerful (for OPV) gunnery and 1-2 helicopters in hangar.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:04 pm
would it not make more sense to build karel doorman (M class) frigates instead of the T23? at the very least, it would be close to stupid to have 2 goalkeepers on the T23, bloody expensive even for a richer hellas. the issue would be especially troubling when you keep the british weapon systems on board, giving your nation a mix of systems that are completely incompatible.

where on the S class modernisation would the twin goalkeeper be placed? I am not certain it fits. I would expect a switch of the aft gun for a goalkeeper and the installation of an SMART-S instead of the WM egg (this was actually proposed for the UAE ships)

for the L modernisation: I actually doubt you can fit Mk 48 on board in the L class. if you can, you must do so forward and an goalkeeper forward will be out of the question. if you replace the Mk 29 and the missile storage there with an goalkeeper, this is an maybe. the L frigates were somewhat tight ships, so addition of equipment is impossible (only replacement)
having 3 types of missiles in the Mk 13 and 2 more on board in seperate launchers seems like an waste of capabilities, space and money.

that OPV conversion of the S frigates, could you give (PM or post) me some more data on that? those are very big, fast and fuel-hungry vessels for an OPV role :P so I wonder what they proposed.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:32 pm
They simply propose removal of missiles, fitting of a 30mm (or 40mm) gun in position of Mk29 and two RWS (Typhoon or MLG27) at sides. It seems that the front OTO Melara 76mm ramains. Two large RHIBS could be placed in davits replacing the Navy auxiliary boats.

L-Class : Answers my question. Four ships need 160 SM-2 at least, I am not sure if USA would sell this quantity, probably less, so the ships would have a mix. The Mk13 can take Harpoon, but I do not mean that the GMLS would have three different missiles. SM-1/Harpoon or SM-2/Harpoon.

M-Class : I thought it, but do they have (or proposed) to be fitted with VDS?

This is what I thought (not sure about weights though). Of course, other solution is twin Phalanx at sides (like in real Elli Class).

[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: Some questions about Ships and WeaponsPosted: March 6th, 2016, 3:52 pm
the M frigates have VDS IIRC, or at the very least can be fitted with it.

and moving from SM-1 to SM-2 by buying the missiles for a ship, wait a few years and buy the second and so on would be best, yes.
as for the 2 goalkeepers on the S frigate........ I doubt this would work. the forward goalkeeper will most likely eat into the weight margins. the aft goalkeeper and Mk 48 certainly work though.

may I recommend going for the latest set of parts and drawings in the future though ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 43 of 45  [ 442 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 141 42 43 44 45 »

Jump to: