Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Ollie
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 10:49 pm
The web site for the group restoring her http://pacificbattleship.com/

Also as a side note somewhat[/] realted to the topic, I have personally seen each of the 4 of the Iowas at some point in my life (Iowa and Wisconsin when they were in the Philadelphia Navy Yard, New Jersey practically every time I go to Philadelphia and Missouri when I visited Hawaii in '07).

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 4:06 am
Of the four, I've only ever been on the Missouri, back in the 60's when it was at Puget Sound Navy Yard in Bremerton and open to the public.

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 4:46 am
Zephyr wrote:
Of the four, I've only ever been on the Missouri, back in the 60's when it was at Puget Sound Navy Yard in Bremerton and open to the public.
What was that like?

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 5:08 am
Quite awesome, actually, especially for a 12 year old. That was pretty much what started my lifelong love of all things naval (despite my having served in both the Air Force and Army, but not the navy lol). I don't remember all that much, but I know they had the plaque in the deck where the surrender treaty was signed, one of the turrets was open, and you could go through a number of the spaces below decks and the wheelhouse. Quite impressive for a kid.

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 5:16 am
I would say. To be able to see the mighty Mo while she sill had her ww2 look, quite the opportunity!

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 5:29 am
And docked right next to her was a pair of Essex class carriers (can't recall which ones unfortunately). They weren't open though.

[Profile] [Quote]
CanisD
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 14th, 2012, 7:50 am
Got to see the Iowa come through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel back in the mid 80's, then we tried to follow her over to Norfolk to see her come through the Hampton Roads Bridge/Tunnel, which was right next to the hotel where we were staying. Apparently though she turned north into the bay since we didn't see her anywhere once we got back to Norfolk. Disappointed at missing her, the next day we went on the navy base tour. Coming out of the museum we saw her coming into dock and the tour bus drove right by her as she was mooring.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: