Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Raxar
Post subject: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 1:45 am
Title kinda says it all.
Click here for details.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 11:25 am
End of an era.

[Profile] [Quote]
paul_541
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 12:03 pm
Karle94 wrote:
End of an era.
Yeah but each ship of the class will be preserved !!!
:D :shock:

Greetings. ;)

HMCS Bonaventure CVL-22 and later alterations
Paul 2024

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 1:18 pm
Only the Iowa is being converted into a museum. I think the article said somewhere that 2 of the ships will still be maintained to a level of "emergency readyness". Probably those two would be New Jersy and Wyoming. Missouri is such an important historical ship that I can't imagine them scrapping her or using her as a target ship.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 1:29 pm
weren't the others alreay museums? I thought the iowa was the only one left in reserve.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 1:47 pm
I remember two of them are supposed to be operational in 90(?) days......

[Profile] [Quote]
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 3:50 pm
Raxar wrote:
Only the Iowa is being converted into a museum. I think the article said somewhere that 2 of the ships will still be maintained to a level of "emergency readyness". Probably those two would be New Jersy and Wyoming. Missouri is such an important historical ship that I can't imagine them scrapping her or using her as a target ship.
Wyoming? I could have sworn the 4th ship was the Wisconsin. The Wyoming is currently an Ohio class boomer, and before that the name was used for BB-32.

But its good to see them preserving the Iowa. Always nice to be able to save them from the scappers or rusting away in a mothball fleet.

[Profile] [Quote]
Karle94
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 4:07 pm
Actually, all four are museum ships. All are however to be preserved in such a way that they can be brought back should the need arise.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 4:35 pm
Karle94 wrote:
Actually, all four are museum ships. All are however to be preserved in such a way that they can be brought back should the need arise.
Yeah, and pigs fly. The USN has spent the last 20 years quietly getting rid of the spares needed to run them. Most recently they sold off the remaining barrels last year.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Erusia Force
Post subject: Re: BB-61 Being converted into a museumPosted: May 13th, 2012, 4:39 pm
Missouri is completely "museumized" in that all sections, even the engine rooms and targeting centers, are open to the public. This is not necessarily the case for Wisconsin and New Jersey in that they still have important areas closed off. New Jersey is to be completely open sometime in the near future and the navy is starting to let go of the Wisconsin as they also begin to open her completely to the public. The navy did consider holding at most two Iowas in a state of near readiness incase a crisis came about, one of the several reasons that Iowa found herself in the mothball fleet in the first place . However, with the costs involved and the construction of ships like Zumwalt, the navy now has better alternatives and is finally relinquishing its historic jewels.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 27 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: