Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Rodondo
Post subject: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 8:53 am
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/travel/ ... 20l96.html
Quote:
Construction on the Titanic II is due to begin soon with billionaire mining magnate Clive Palmer announcing he has hired a ship design and marine engineering company to do a full review of the project.
Once Finland-based company Deltamarin has completed the review and cleared the Titanic II against safety and construction regulations, work on the ship will begin in China.
While I personally believe as long as it is done accurately (to the last goddamn detail) and respectfully(And not making a hash of it), why on earth are they building it in China!? I agree it would be more economical but to be honest, being built in Ireland or even the UK seems much better.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 8:56 am
Rodondo wrote:
why on earth are they building it in China!? I agree it would be more economical
You answer your own question. Money lad, money decide where you build.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 8:57 am
But it doesn't seem quite right though, I imagine this would be the first link China has had to Titanic

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 9:03 am
Right or not right, you do not pick some shipyard because they are good but how much you need to pay them. Thats how economy work, it's true that it doesn't seem right but thats just life.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 1:52 pm
Even if cost wasn't an issue, you'd still have to find a yard capable of building a cruise liner. Those are in rather short supply in Britain.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 9:25 pm
You should watch Titanic II by Asylum Films (the same studio that made Megashark vs. Giant Octopus)

[Profile] [Quote]
Paul Carl
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 9:42 pm
Would anyone want to dare draw the new TITANTIC II as per 2012 standards

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 10:05 pm
Well we don't know what it looks like. The article makes claims but to be blunt, from a naval engineering standpoint, they sound very stupid.

In the end I would wager to believe that this will for the most part be a modern and very typical 40-60,000 ton (medium-sized) cruise ship with letters that spell "TITANIC" on the bow/stern.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 10:22 pm
klagldsf wrote:
Well we don't know what it looks like. The article makes claims but to be blunt, from a naval engineering standpoint, they sound very stupid.

In the end I would wager to believe that this will for the most part be a modern and very typical 40-60,000 ton (medium-sized) cruise ship with letters that spell "TITANIC" on the bow/stern.
and 4 funnels, an matching paintjob and more of that stuff.

nothing wrong with that, because an real titanic replica may never leave it's yart, as it no longer fit's to todays regulations and rules.
an ship that size needs an double bottom, most likely double skin, the propulsion systems will be lighter, the fuel needs to be stored differently, the entry and cargo holds no longer fit todays specs.... and apart from that, she will be welded, the equipment needs to be modern and I wish them good luck finding passengers for 3rd class. building an replica that will sail as cruise liner or ocean liner, will be illegal as well. so in other words, what this man seems to envision, an modern titanic replica, simply impossible.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 10:50 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
building an replica that will sail as cruise liner or ocean liner, will be illegal as well. so in other words, what this man seems to envision, an modern titanic replica, simply impossible.
It's not even so much from a legal standpoint as it is a cost standpoint. Deviating from what the shipyard is already set up to do is costly (and no doubt a factor into why they're contracting...what is it, JSJ Yards or whatever it's called).

It may or may not even have four funnels because, well, the average cruise ship-goer doesn't really pay attention. And you can bet accommodations will be 100% first-class. This is essentially a floating tourist trap.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: