Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2
Zephyr
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 11:09 pm
klagldsf wrote:
This is essentially a floating tourist trap.
But couldn't that same description be applied to nearly any modern cruise ship?

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 19th, 2012, 11:25 pm
Zephyr wrote:
klagldsf wrote:
This is essentially a floating tourist trap.
But couldn't that same description be applied to nearly any modern cruise ship?
Yup, definitely.

[Profile] [Quote]
acelanceloet
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 20th, 2012, 7:54 am
klagldsf wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
building an replica that will sail as cruise liner or ocean liner, will be illegal as well. so in other words, what this man seems to envision, an modern titanic replica, simply impossible.
It's not even so much from a legal standpoint as it is a cost standpoint. Deviating from what the shipyard is already set up to do is costly (and no doubt a factor into why they're contracting...what is it, JSJ Yards or whatever it's called).

It may or may not even have four funnels because, well, the average cruise ship-goer doesn't really pay attention. And you can bet accommodations will be 100% first-class. This is essentially a floating tourist trap.
well, if you pay them enough money, the chinese will build anything for you.... except ships that do not follow the rules, and an exact titanic replica would be just that. I follow what you are saying, but the rules are what makes it impossible, and you describe what most likely is gonna happen instead :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Dreadnaught
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 21st, 2012, 4:23 am
About 10 years ago Popular Mechanics had an article about a new build Titanic and that it could not be an exact replica. Welding has replaced rivets and that weight reduction would have to be considered. Also waste and garbage systems would have to be installed as per marine law that Titanic didn't have since trash/waste was just dumped overboard. Oh and of course a larger rudder.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: TITANIC II apparently possible (not another film)Posted: June 21st, 2012, 7:43 am
acelanceloet wrote:
well, if you pay them enough money, the chinese will build anything for you
And with enough oversight and properly written contract you might just get exactly what you ordered on time.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 2 of 2  [ 15 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2

Jump to: