Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 4th, 2012, 11:07 am
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Rk_52 ... edit?pli=1

Well, it's out. Likely at the cost of a few million dollars, we have 82 pages which explains the various ins & outs of USN Ship Naming Conventions. The sad part is that I can condense it all down to 1 sentence.

"All USN Ship Names follows Naming Convention as the SecNav possess the power to change and/or modify naming convention at will with no legal oversight."

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 4th, 2012, 1:33 pm
Wow, 82 pages on "how to name a ship." Probably took 50 admirals and captains two or three years to come up with that.

[Profile] [Quote]
Clonecommander6454
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 4th, 2012, 3:35 pm
My conclusion: We change the naming convention all the time.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 4th, 2012, 5:12 pm
I can beat that: In Norway the government made a 100 page document about how the official documents shall look like!

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 4th, 2012, 8:48 pm
heuhen wrote:
I can beat that: In Norway the government made a 100 page document about how the official documents shall look like!
I raise with:
Back in the 80's, "the US Senate Finace committee had printed up 4500 copies of a 452page document with every single word crossed out." The document had something ot do with taxes and whatnot, and the SFC didn't like it, so they worte up their own bill, which was 1489 pages long.

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Wikipedia & Universe
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 5th, 2012, 7:02 am
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
The sad part is that I can condense it all down to 1 sentence.

"All USN Ship Names follows Naming Convention as the SecNav possess the power to change and/or modify naming convention at will with no legal oversight."
To be perfectly honest, the ability of SecNav to freely tweak the Ship Naming Convention is something that doesn't really cause me the least alarm. :|
Raxar wrote:
heuhen wrote:
I raise with:
Back in the 80's, "the US Senate Finace committee had printed up 4500 copies of a 452page document with every single word crossed out." The document had something ot do with taxes and whatnot, and the SFC didn't like it, so they worte up their own bill, which was 1489 pages long.
Gotta love runaway bureaucracy. :roll:

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 7th, 2012, 12:53 am
And the pandering continues.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/s ... 53043204/1

While I amire Ms. Giffords and hope for continued recovery her I do not believe her name should be used for naming a US Navy Minsweeper, er, I mean LCS.

1. She's never served in the Navy.
2. She is not a "Regionally Important American City or Community"
3. She's a living person.

Why don't we cut out all the bulls*it and just name the next ships off the slipway after career politicians from the party in power?

USSS Nancy Pelosi anyone?

[Profile] [Quote]
Raxar
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 7th, 2012, 1:56 am
[sarcasm]And why not stop at politicians? While they're at it they could start naming ships after celebrities. USS Kardashian Class anyone?[/sarcasm]

"If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done." ~Ludwig Wittgenstein

[Profile] [Quote]
Ultimo Tiger
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 7th, 2012, 2:25 am
Scifibug wrote:
And? Plenty of ships have been named after living people.

It's not like the US Navy is short on ships to name after people anyway.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: USN Ship Naming Report releasedPosted: August 7th, 2012, 3:20 am
Scifibug wrote:
And the pandering continues.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/s ... 53043204/1

While I amire Ms. Giffords and hope for continued recovery her I do not believe her name should be used for naming a US Navy Minsweeper, er, I mean LCS.

1. She's never served in the Navy.
2. She is not a "Regionally Important American City or Community"
You forgot #4, we're going to honor a victim of weapon violence with a ship designed to kill people with weapons.

I hate to be blunt, but it's the only way to get the message through.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: