Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
eswube
Post subject: August 15th - Polish Armed Forces DayPosted: August 14th, 2012, 10:03 pm
Today, on august the 15th we celebrate in Poland the Day of the Polish Armed Forces (Dzień Wojska Polskiego, or more formally Święto Wojska Polskiego). It commemorates all those who fell while fighting for our country, as well as "For our freedom and yours" (Za naszą wolność i waszą), and all those serving - both in past times as well as currently - in Polish military.

Date of 15 august as the Day of the Polish Armed Forces has been established in 1923 and formally reestablished in 1992 (in the People's Republic of Poland it was celebrated on october 12 to commemorate Battle of Lenino in 1943) and is an anniversary of Poland's victory in the Battle of Warsaw in 1920 against the invading Soviet army, specifically, the culminating point of battle.

This year marks also the 220th anniversary of the creation of Poland's highest military honor: Order Wojenny Virtuti Militari (War Order of Virtuti Militari), which was established on 22 june 1792 to commemorate Battle of Zieleńce against invading Russian armies during the war in defence of the May Constitution of 1791.

[ img ]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomb_of_th ... er,_Warsaw

Last edited by eswube on January 23rd, 2015, 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
travestytrav25
Post subject: Re: August 15th - Polish Armed Forces DayPosted: August 14th, 2012, 10:14 pm
Very nice, Eswube

"A nation that forgets its heroes will itself soon be fogotten." --Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the United States.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rhade
Post subject: Re: August 15th - Polish Armed Forces DayPosted: August 15th, 2012, 6:57 am
Magnificent job eswube.

[Profile] [Quote]
Scifibug
Post subject: Re: August 15th - Polish Armed Forces DayPosted: August 17th, 2012, 5:37 pm
Beautiful job!

Should a thread be started in the Non-shipbucket section for Memorials?

[Profile] [Quote]
eswube
Post subject: Re: August 15th - Polish Armed Forces DayPosted: August 17th, 2012, 6:02 pm
Thank You for appreciation! I was trying to do my best.
Scifibug wrote:
Should a thread be started in the Non-shipbucket section for Memorials?
Nice idea. :) Only that i think there is only this one Memorial for a while.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: