Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 3 »
Cruel2BEkind
Post subject: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:05 pm
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2013/10/ ... 382560484/

Thoughts on the 'Forest Fire' being sold for one cent?

(My great grandfather had his service on this ship)

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 10:16 pm
I'm surprised the scrap isn't worth more, but it's costing the US Navy money to keep her afloat.

Meanwhile, I care a lot more about taking care of the museum ships we currently have than adding to the list. Frankly, until Olympia has a permanent dry home there should be a moratorium on new ones.

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 23rd, 2013, 11:51 pm
erik_t wrote:
Frankly, until Olympia has a permanent dry home there should be a moratorium on new ones.
I strongly concur on this point. That Olympia is in the condition she is in is quite a shame.

Edit: something else to remember is that IIRC the exact layout of the underwater hulls on all of the post-Midway classes is still NOFORN classified, and that the facilities to scrap the supercarriers all have to meet security reviews.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 24th, 2013, 6:45 am
And it's not exactly as if people haven't had a chance to turn her into a museum ship either.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shipright
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 24th, 2013, 12:32 pm
Her scrap value may be pretty close to the cost of breaking her up plus profit to make it worth it. At this point the Navy just wants her gone.

[Profile] [Quote]
Syzmo
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 24th, 2013, 1:00 pm
I was just aboard Olympia and at the Philadelphia Naval Yard last month for the Historic Naval Ships Association Conference and I am pleased to report that the guys at the Independence Seaport Museum have done a great job in the past year, since I was aboard last, cosmetically improving the ship and using her as an interpretive platform. They don't want floating ships at the museum any more and Olympia needs a lot of work below the waterline but at least they are finally taking care of her like they should. Which is a good thing because neither of the two places left trying to acquire her are going to be able to raise the money any time soon. (Thats from her curator, not just my opinion.)

As for the ships being maintained on donation hold at the PNY none of them will ever be turned into museum ships. Charlie Adams and Forrest Sherman are in awful shape. I was on both of them. John F. Kennedy is in the best shape of the ships i visited, but she is far too large to ever be maintained by a none profit. I have worked for Historic Ships in Baltimore for seven years and we are a fairly successful museum because we are in a touristy location and we can still barely maintain our ships, none of which are bigger than a destroyer. Forrestal on the other hand probably isn't worth that penny anymore. She looks like she has been sitting on a beach in India. I don't mean to insult anyone associated with these ships, but the Navy has not maintained them and a museum would never be able to care for them. I have to agree that we need to focus on what we have. I don't mean to bring down the mood any further but Texas and Yorktown are looking even worse off than Olympia.

"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity, but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. This I did." Thomas Edward Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: October 25th, 2013, 7:31 pm
Just to be clear, the USN paid the penny to have it taken off their hands, rather than All Star Metals paying to buy her.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tagger 1-1
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: November 9th, 2013, 5:14 am
Personally I think it's a disgrace. Canada should have bought and operated FORRESTAL. I am tired of seeing good ships become razor blades.

S/F Tagger sends

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: November 9th, 2013, 11:57 am
Tagger 1-1 wrote:
Personally I think it's a disgrace. Canada should have bought and operated FORRESTAL. I am tired of seeing good ships become razor blades.

S/F Tagger sends
But Forrestal isn't a good ship anymore. She was completely run down by the time they decommisioned her and ten years in storage has done nothing to improve it.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Bye Bye USS ForrestalPosted: November 9th, 2013, 12:41 pm
Thiel wrote:
Tagger 1-1 wrote:

S/F Tagger sends
But Forrestal isn't a good ship anymore. She was completely run down by the time they decommisioned her and ten years in storage has done nothing to improve it.
More then ten, i would say twenty (1993-2013). and anyway Forrestall is (was, already?) nearly 60 years old.
If Canada would ever consider such possibility i think the only "viable" choice would be the former USS Kennedy (CV-67), as she is some 13 years younger.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 3  [ 30 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 3 »

Jump to: