Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 25 of 34  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2734 »
mortarigus
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: August 17th, 2016, 4:20 am
I think that it is a coast defence battleship. They don't slug it out on the high seas. They nip in and out of coastlines with lots of islands and coordinate with coastal artillery. They present a small target wit high maneuverability and firepower The tall rangefinder gives good firing data over lower islands while the hull and lower superstructure remains invisible. Warships engaging it are usually in deeper water further out to sea and are much easier to engage. Getting close to them involves navigating shoals and other obstacles common to rocky coastlines. Norway Sweden and Finland all made good use of such vessels. If you were engaging two of them and they also made good use of smoke they might not sink you, but they will likely sent you home badly damaged, wondering what the hell happened.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: August 17th, 2016, 11:36 am
mortarigus wrote:
I think that it is a coast defence battleship. They don't slug it out on the high seas. They nip in and out of coastlines with lots of islands and coordinate with coastal artillery. They present a small target wit high maneuverability and firepower The tall rangefinder gives good firing data over lower islands while the hull and lower superstructure remains invisible. Warships engaging it are usually in deeper water further out to sea and are much easier to engage. Getting close to them involves navigating shoals and other obstacles common to rocky coastlines. Norway Sweden and Finland all made good use of such vessels. If you were engaging two of them and they also made good use of smoke they might not sink you, but they will likely sent you home badly damaged, wondering what the hell happened.
you are aware you are talking to an Norwegian!!!....

He was making a joke on something an British officer said once. I do not remember the story 100% correct, but i short:

One of the Finnish coast defence ship was going to the British ship review together with one of the bigger Swedish one. When it arrived there a British Officer commented that, we should be affraid of the Finnish Navy, they even have armed there lighthouses!

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: August 17th, 2016, 12:06 pm
heuhen wrote:
mortarigus wrote:
you are aware you are talking to an Norwegian!!!....

He was making a joke on something an British officer said once. I do not remember the story 100% correct, but i short:

One of the Finnish coast defence ship was going to the British ship review together with one of the bigger Swedish one. When it arrived there a British Officer commented that, we should be affraid of the Finnish Navy, they even have armed there lighthouses!
And the Swedish replied something like "the British do seem to value merchant shipping quite much for arming their tankers with 16-inch guns" (referring to the Nelson Class Battleships) :mrgreen:

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
mortarigus
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: August 17th, 2016, 9:08 pm
Hi Heuen! I an aware, I simply believe that these unique ships tended to be under valued so I took the time to explain their rationale.

[Profile] [Quote]
GLACIESFIRE
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 2nd, 2016, 12:12 pm
[ img ]

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 2nd, 2016, 12:39 pm
Never

[Profile] [Quote]
Cascadia
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 2nd, 2016, 2:07 pm
TristanAlting wrote:
Never
There is nothing more to say!

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 16th, 2016, 5:55 pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4D6Gxk ... WarStories

[Profile] [Quote]
DG_Alpha
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 18th, 2016, 12:06 pm
http://www.filmportal.de/film/kaiserlic ... 31f1d5b9f7

Nice movie segments about the Kaiserliche Marine. Title cards are in German, but the pictures should speak for themselves.

[Profile] [Quote]
Krakatoa
Post subject: Re: Random picture thread Mk 3Posted: September 18th, 2016, 12:16 pm
To get to the film:

http://www.filmportal.de/node/1220482/video/1220503

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 25 of 34  [ 333 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 123 24 25 26 2734 »

Jump to: