Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
odysseus1980
Post subject: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 16th, 2016, 8:31 pm
http://warships1discussionboards.yuku.c ... zotSORv6Uk

An interesting concept for a ~221m, 23000 tn carrier for Austalian Navy from another forum.

[Profile] [Quote]
reytuerto
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 17th, 2016, 3:03 pm
Good morning.
Very intresting design!
One question: An STOBAR carrier (with ski jump, the same displacement) would be a carrier of similar airborne capability of this PA76? Thanks.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 17th, 2016, 5:10 pm
ΡΑ79 as appears in page 4 of that topic is the 221m CΑΤΟΒΑR, falling in Centaur Class category. Ιn SΤΟΒΑR version her capacity could be close to ΗΜS Ηermes (20-26 Ηarrier)-hangar area is roughly the same. F-35 is much larger so number reduces. Viraat has 16 Ηarrier, 4 Sea King, 2 Cheetak (Ιndian licensed Αlouette ΙΙΙ and 4 Druv according to Wikipedia.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 19th, 2016, 7:44 am
Does anyone knows about waterline dimensions of HMS Hermes (R12)? Also in latter I have seen overall breadth (deck) 45,1 m (Wikipedia) and 49 m somewhere else. Which is correct (as a CATOBAR, before the conversion with the ski jump)?

That guy says 55 m deck width with 27,4 m WB for the PA-79 (somewhere in text). My estimation is that waterine breadth would be 29-30m. Is there some proportions between WB and DB (Wateline Breadth and Deck Breadth respectively) in aircraft carriers?

[Profile] [Quote]
citizen lambda
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 27th, 2016, 10:38 pm
That PA-75 (and following) discussed here, isn't that the French new-generation nuclear carrier that (painfully) evolved into the Charles de Gaulle?
Is there any historic link to Australia I have missed in the discussion, or just an ad-hoc dream project that came up along the way? Not that it wouldn't have made sense, practically speaking, but the military-industrial link comes out of nowhere, and I can't see the Australian closing their eyes on working from a nuclear-based design.

Interesting concept nonetheless, and again, the idea of an international medium carrier in that period is as enticing as improbable.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: May 28th, 2016, 9:15 am
The real thing is the PH-75, which lead to Charles De Gaulle. The PA-75 and PA-79 indeed the ad-hoc dream of that guy who create them for that forum. I do not know if Australia did consider to replace HMAS Melbourne with a CATBAR carrier, but did came close to buy HMS Invisible in 1982. In my private AU Australia I gave them the Vickers Light Carrier with Harrier of course.

I linked only because I like the design. Probably will find its way to one of private AUs, but always I want to be as realistic as possible, concerning ships involved.

There is also somewhere a shipbucket-style drawing of PH-75, which can appear in never where France with some work.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: June 12th, 2016, 8:06 am
http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.p ... er-series/

Note that we have the BAC 220 (as it was proposed to Argentina) in our Archive.

Somewhere I read that these were priced in 350-400m $.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: June 15th, 2016, 6:02 am
reytuerto wrote:
Good morning.
Very intresting design!
One question: An STOBAR carrier (with ski jump, the same displacement) would be a carrier of similar airborne capability of this PA76? Thanks.
A STOBAR carrier works only with aircraft that have a high thrust to weight ratio. Here says everything:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOBAR

If having MiG-29K on board, which is similar is size with F/A-18, its capacity would be the same.

[Profile] [Quote]
odysseus1980
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: July 19th, 2016, 2:14 pm
How would be the cost (in early 1960's) to buy a Colossus carrier with 10-12 S-2E Tracker and 16 Westand Wessex? Air wing would be 6 S-2, 6-8 Wessex and 4-6 Alouette III (latter were part of other military program and not counted in that of the carrier).

Οther choices instead of Τracker would be Fairey Gannet or Βreguet Αlize.

[Profile] [Quote]
ezgo394
Post subject: Re: Small CATOBAR CarrierPosted: July 19th, 2016, 7:56 pm
Ooh, I likey! I think I'm going to base the modern Denton CATOBAR carriers on this!

I am not very active on the forums anymore, but work is still being done on my AUs. Visit the Salidan Altiverse Page on the SB Wiki for more information. All current work is being done on Google Docs.
If anyone wishes for their nations to interact with the countries of the Salidan Altiverse, please send me a PM, after which we can further discuss through email.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 19 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: