Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: April 28th, 2017, 11:16 pm
Tobius wrote: *
They may have gutted some of the internal armor. As to the island, they seem to have moved it further astern compared to the Russian Kuznetsov which corresponds to American practice, but why? Will that not affect the exhaust and intake runs? And it is a different island. I hope they wind tunneled it.
well they have totally new engines compared to the "original", modern engine take small amount of space compared to old turbine powerplant (I assume), that alone give them space to move the entire engine room further back, they also do not need to think about fumes from boilers... but after reading a little, the new one appears to have old fashioned turbines with boilers.

The placement of the funnels doesn't say you have to have engine/boiler right under it. and on carriers that is the case. you can pipe the fumes from a boiler quit far, just so long you have good old fashion draft in the funnel, if not... blowers, really big ones.... Just look at supertankers, they are often equipped with blowers in the funnel, due to the distance from boiler room and the funnel.

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: April 29th, 2017, 12:58 am
One thing that is at a premium aboard a carrier is the volume immediately under a flight deck. The pipe runs that eat into that volume cuts into hangar and machine shop space. Those same pipe runs are travel paths for fires. One of the reasons the USS Forrestal was such a disaster when she caught fire was that the fire that started on the flight deck, because a Zuni rocket misfired and struck a plane loaded with 454 kg Korean War vintage overage bombs started a hideous chain off of parked planes and aviation fuel. The bomb detonations blew a hole in the flight deck and the aviation fuel fire worked its way into the hanger spaces and then down and aft into crew quarters and engineering spaces. Part of that travel path was burn through the stack and draft ducting. The Forrestal had over a hundred killed and several hundred wounded, The carrier was out of action for at least seven months while her flight deck was repaired and her aft spaces rebuilt.

That was an experienced navy that thought it knew what it was doing. Now picture a Sukhoi splashing (excuse me J-15) onto the Type 001A which is bound to happen. Inevitable. This is not a criticism of the PLAN. Accidents happen to everyone and you can be the most careful operators possible. Where is that Sukhoi going to plow? Probably either parked planes aft of the island or into the island itself. Bolters have a nasty habit when they miss the wire to sheer starboard unless the pilot points hard aport at the trap. It will be messy. And that stack is a beautiful flame path right into the guts of the ship.

[Profile] [Quote]
Thiel
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: April 29th, 2017, 2:01 am
The only blowers you'll find in the stack on a tanker are the ones blowing air into the engine room.

Worklist

Source Materiel is always welcome.

[Profile] [Quote]
Hood
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: April 29th, 2017, 8:43 am
I suspect Liaoning has a different or modified boiler set up to Kuznetsov. For one, all the pictures of Liaoning don't show large smoky plumes. Of course it could be they've managed to the get the air/fuel mix right. Unless the originals hadn't aged well while mothballed and had to be gutted and replaced.
The Type 001A probably has a new boiler and turbine set up.

Super-Darings
Never-Were British Aircraft

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: April 29th, 2017, 12:08 pm
Though Liaoning has been crippled before on sea trials due to power plant issues. I'd say with time, as those engines haven't been run anywhere near the hours the Kuznetsov's have. Time will tell I guess

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Tobius
Post subject: Re: Congratulation on Launching of Chinese Type 001A Aircraft CarrierPosted: May 8th, 2017, 1:57 pm
Type 346

Of particular interest to me is the radar suite that seems planned for the Type 001A. I think I was very wrong about that one. This Chinese radar seems very indigenous (and almost French-like) in design owing only a little to the 9L6 Soviet era radar family.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic” | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: