Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ] 
iiradned
Post subject: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 21st, 2017, 4:11 pm
Very interesting look at three different POVs of Operation Dynamo.

According to IMDb Christopher Nolan used:
Quote:
French T-47-class destroyer 'Maillé-Brézé' (D627) portraying British destroyers HMS 'Vivacious' (D36) and HMS 'Vanquisher' (D54).

Dutch Dokkum-class minesweepers HNLMS 'Naaldwijk' (M/PW809) and HNLMS 'Sittard' (M830) with the 'Naaldwijk' portraying British minesweeper HMS 'Britomart' (J22) and, and the 'Sittard' as British destroyers HMS 'Havant' (H32) and HMS 'Jaguar' (F34).

British Harbor Defence Motor Launch HMS 'Medusa' (ML1387).

Dutch Multipurpose ship MLV 'Castor' (A810) as British destroyer HMS 'Basilisk' (H11).

British Motor Torpedo Boat MTB102. (MTB102 was present at the actual Dunkirk evacuation and became the smallest vessel to become a flagship in the Royal Navy when Admiral Frederic Wake-Walker transferred to her after his previous flagship, destroyer HMS 'Keith' (D06) was disabled.)
The destroyer was very obviously French to my eyes as evidenced by the 100mm guns fore and aft and the VDS gear on the stern. The production company did mock up a twin 40 or 57 mm AA gun in a fully enclosed mount in B position.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 21st, 2017, 7:51 pm
You take what you have.

There are a couple old military vessel in Norway to, but The are to new (late war design) to have been used for the movie... But we have quit a bit very old Steamers in original stand, that with easy mock up, could lock like any small British steam boats. And that's just for Norway.

But in the end, it is logistics and cost that kick any producer's genitalia. for example, want a original German WW1 tank... go to Australia!!! they have the last one!

[Profile] [Quote]
Graham1973
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 22nd, 2017, 12:06 am
heuhen wrote: *
You take what you have.

There are a couple old military vessel in Norway to, but The are to new (late war design) to have been used for the movie... But we have quit a bit very old Steamers in original stand, that with easy mock up, could lock like any small British steam boats. And that's just for Norway.

But in the end, it is logistics and cost that kick any producer's genitalia. for example, want a original German WW1 tank... go to Australia!!! they have the last one!
Exactly, if you look into what it took to get those Spanish He111/Bf109 copies for the 1969 Battle of Britain film, you realize that sometimes compromises must be made.

[Profile] [Quote]
macseann
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 25th, 2017, 1:30 pm
Just saw it last night, and it was excellent. From an accuracy perspective, yes if you are looking, the bigger ships (the destroyers and mine-sweepers) were very obviously modern, but given that I think there are only a few floating museum ships from the period, much less active functioning ships, its necessary. That they got the actual MTB that Admiral Wake-Walker used at Dunkirk is remarkable.

It was absolutely thrilling to see flying Spitfires used in action, as well as the Buchons filling in for ME109s. They apparently used large drones for the bigger aircraft and the crash sequences. The CGI, if it was used, was totally unobtrusive. Here's a link for info on the filming

http://www.warbirdsnews.com/warbirds-news/dunkirk.html

The movie itself was remarkable. The tension that was built through the film was incredible and I thought the performances were great, as was the attention to historical accuracy.

Now if someone would just remake Sink the Bismark!

brainstaple.com/comeandtakeit

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 25th, 2017, 8:11 pm
macseann wrote: *
snip...
And that begs the two big questions
1 Which ship will play the Bismark, HMS Hood or HMS Prince of Wales?
2 Which ship will be used for HMS Ark Royal, and especially the Swordfish bi-planes?

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 25th, 2017, 8:16 pm
Novice wrote: *
snip...
2 Which ship will be used for HMS Ark Royal, and especially the Swordfish bi-planes?
Hope thay would do something remotely historically-accurate instead of going the Pearl Harbor way, otherwise I'll personally be fine with the original as much as I'm am with Tora-tora-tora. :lol:

Anyway, It will be a long wait, here in Italy Dunkirk won't be out until august 31.

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
macseann
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 26th, 2017, 1:35 pm
BB1987 wrote: *
Novice wrote: *
snip...
Hope thay would do something remotely historically-accurate instead of going the Pearl Harbor way, otherwise I'll personally be fine with the original as much as I'm am with Tora-tora-tora. :lol:

Anyway, It will be a long wait, here in Italy Dunkirk won't be out until august 31.
About as good a review for the movie and its accuracy (and effectiveness) as I can think of. A 97 year old veteran was moved to tears by the film. "I could see my old friends again."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/dunk ... could-see/

brainstaple.com/comeandtakeit

[Profile] [Quote]
BB1987
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: July 26th, 2017, 1:41 pm
About as good a review for the movie and its accuracy (and effectiveness) as I can think of. A 97 year old veteran was moved to tears by the film. "I could see my old friends again."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/dunk ... could-see/
That's good.
Although from the trailers I got good feelings about Dunkirk, my "rant" for accuracy was for an eventual remake of sink the Bismarck (since the PH remake turned out beyond ugly)

-Koko Kyouwakoku (Republic of Koko)
-Koko's carrier-based aircrafts of WWII
-Koko Kaiun Yuso Kaisha - KoKaYu Line (Koko AU spinoff)
-Koko - Civil Aviation

[Profile] [Quote]
emperor_andreas
Post subject: Re: Dunkirk the moviePosted: August 1st, 2017, 6:26 pm
BB1987 wrote: *
Hope they would do something remotely historically-accurate instead of going the Pearl Harbor way, otherwise I'll personally be fine with the original as much as I'm am with Tora! Tora! Tora!.
Agreed...as long as Michael Bay steers clear of it and they make the ships HISTORICALLY ACCURATE (which is highly possible) and LISTEN TO THEIR HISTORICAL ADVISORS (again, Michael Bay steer clear of this!), I can see a Sink the Bismarck! remake being EPIC.

The Official IJN Ships & Planes List

#FJB

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]  Return to “Off Topic”

Jump to: