Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ] 
DiMartino
Post subject: Greetings!Posted: June 3rd, 2018, 12:33 am
Hello friends! I am DiMartino, I work as a drawbridge operated and I often lurk here during my downtime (most of my work day). So I've decided that I'll give drawing a go, but I do need some help. So I see that there are part sheets, I figure it'll be easier for me to grab from there and credit those sources instead of starting out with original everything. Where are hulls found? Furthermore once I am confident enough to start drawing just how do I do it? Are there any tutorials around? I saw from the other thread that people use mostly like mspaint, how do you even draw like curves properl or straight lines? Do you use something other than a mouse for precision? I'm hoping to make an original ship by the end of 2018. I have an au nation I've been world building for 8 years now so I might as well make some ships for it, after practice designs and whatnot of course.

[Profile] [Quote]
Shigure
Post subject: Re: Greetings!Posted: June 3rd, 2018, 7:34 am
Hello and welcome!

Using parts from part-sheets does not require crediting, but taking chunks from ships by other authors does. Hulls for ships aren't found in sheets, as they are way too large and frankly no two hulls are exactly the same, and thus they are drawn from scratch.

As for tutorials, there is only a style guide which I'd say is quite important and very informative.

http://shipbucket.com/styleguide

I personally I use MSpaint as it's quick and simple. There is a 'curve' tool too and straight lines should not be hard at all if you are zoomed in and can see what you are doing :D

Anyways I'd love to see what you come up with. Starting off with AU ships is perfectly fine (I did that), but some members here recommend attempting a real drawing as it's REALLY good practice.

[Profile] [Quote]
Novice
Post subject: Re: Greetings!Posted: June 3rd, 2018, 6:58 pm
Welcome aboard, and would love to see your work, whether a Real life ship or an AU one. I personally, do only real life ships, using MS Paint (the XP version at that), but I know that some use Paint.Net, and even Paintshop.
Hulls are usually unique to a specific ship, but there are exceptions like the mass produced Liberty ships of WW2, and most USN ships of that period. Ship classes of today are also an example for common hulls, but we usually don't make all the ships of a specific class (the 2,700 ships of the Liberty ships is the case...)
Any way welcome

"Never fear to try on something new. Remember that the Titanic was built by professionals, and the Ark by an amateur"

[Profile] [Quote]
Ro-Po Max
Post subject: Re: Greetings!Posted: June 11th, 2018, 11:40 am
Welcome :) ! We will help you in any project ;) !
P.S. MS Paint, Photoshop, GeoGebra. Tools: Graphic tablets.

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]  Return to “Introductions”

Jump to: