Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ] 
Gavin Wieszala
Post subject: Trying to get startedPosted: August 18th, 2018, 12:09 am
Hello everyone! I'm really interested in starting doing drawings here because I think I possess the skill but I've got no clue where to start. It seems all ships have been drawn😂 some pointers would be extremely appreciated.

[Profile] [Quote]
Rodondo
Post subject: Re: Trying to get startedPosted: August 18th, 2018, 2:25 am
Welcome aboard Gavin :)

Despite our best efforts, all of the ships haven't been drawn, we tend not to mind people getting their eye in on already drawn ships but there are a number of ships already not drawn, my only advice is to start with something small with a decent amount of source material about.

"Loitering on the High Seas" (Named after the good ship Rodondo)

There's no such thing as "nothing left to draw" If you can down 10 pints and draw, you're doing alright by my standards

[Profile] [Quote]
Gavin Wieszala
Post subject: Re: Trying to get startedPosted: August 18th, 2018, 2:43 am
Thanks so much for your response! I'll find myself a little ship to do then. This should be a lot of fun.

[Profile] [Quote]
erik_t
Post subject: Re: Trying to get startedPosted: August 18th, 2018, 1:49 pm
There's nothing wrong with drawing a ship that's already been drawn, of course. I think there's a lot of value in identifying a hull with a lot of reference material and an existing high-quality drawing, and trying to draw that ship without referring to the existing drawing. At the end, pull both up and compare them, and see what's done better and worse on each drawing.

The Shipbucket style guide isn't algorithmic, and the artist has to make choices about what to show, what not to show, and how to emphasize detail. Evaluating the choices of others can help you to decide how you want to evolve your own personal style.

[Profile] [Quote]
Gavin Wieszala
Post subject: Re: Trying to get startedPosted: August 18th, 2018, 3:25 pm
Okay that sounds good. Maybe I'll draw an existing one and compare at the end, sounds like a good way to improve. Thanks brofor the reply!

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]  Return to “Introductions”

Jump to: