Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page 1 2 »
Blackbuck
Post subject: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 6th, 2012, 3:28 pm
After consolidating my various endeavours other than Atlantia into one AU (which I will be continuing with) I'm brainstorming ideas for a second proper AU (You can probably tell that Nova Britannia and the like have stalled)... My initial idea was and is an enlarged Netherlands encompassing the BeNeLux area as well as the geographic areas of Normandy and Brittany which would have been somewhat Anglicized (I'm sure our Dutch members will hate me fore Anglicizing the Netherlands) from the period immediately after the Napoleonic wars. The second world war would have happened much as it did in the real world. Having an extensive coast line there would have been a strong naval build up during the cold war (or at least that's the idea, this being a ship drawing forum and all) The flashpoint I'm considering is that of tensions boiling over between Norway and Russia over the Barents Sea oil fields these tensions culminating with the sinking of a Norwegian warship and escalation from there onwards resulting in a conventional conflict for control of the oil fields. Whilst the UK and France remain neutral throughout the conflict for fear of escalating the conflict into a full blown European war the Netherlands along with Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Portugal intervene and join the conflict along with Norway. From the first skirmish in 2011 to the cease fire talks in 2019 there would have been several substantial naval engagements as well as landings in Norway and several air battles over the Barents Sea and Scandinavia.

I'm hoping that this doesn't sound too outlandish as to not work, at least in theory... Feedback and any improvements that could be made would be nice.

Regards, ~Mark.

ETA:

Whilst this will in essence be a different instance to the Atlantia AU I'm musing about using my AU weapons sheet, namely because of the effort that went into drawing them and the fact they they could plausibly exist here too. ECM and other equipment will very much most likely change however as will some other bits and pieces. I'm I think being quite conservative and not over stretching myself whilst still maintaining some creativity in how I apply the systems.

ETA 2:
I'm pondering including parts of Doggerland in this to add some variety into the mix to save just making another Dutch AU.

Last edited by Blackbuck on April 18th, 2012, 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

[Profile] [Quote]
heuhen
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 6th, 2012, 3:36 pm
This sound fun! go for it

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Geopolitics and Terra-forming are funPosted: April 20th, 2012, 9:51 am
[ img ] Click for full size

Borders, expanded land areas and other bits and pieces thus far altered in this scenario.

Points of Interest that have occurred
  • Scandinavian Union instead of separate sovereign nations (though still with some degree of autonomy within the union)
  • Portugal has expanded North into Spain taking ownership of Galicia (roughly marked)
  • France has had an extension around the Bay of Biscay and the Mediterranean as well has getting Sardinia (which is now joined with Corsica) to make up for the loss of land due to the existence of UKoNL
  • Finland now has access to the Barents Sea once again
  • Kaliningrad ceded to Lithuania
  • Atlantia remains generally unchanged
  • N.I and Eire unified under the UK with Eire retaining a degree of autonomy
  • Doggerland / Dogger Island didn't sink into the North Sea and instead is part of UKoNL
More to come.

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 20th, 2012, 5:23 pm
Blackbuck wrote:
(I'm sure our Dutch members will hate me fore Anglicizing the Netherlands)
Well people have questioned me Germanicizing South Africa so don't feel too bad :P
Quote:
ETA:

Whilst this will in essence be a different instance to the Atlantia AU I'm musing about using my AU weapons sheet, namely because of the effort that went into drawing them and the fact they they could plausibly exist here too. ECM and other equipment will very much most likely change however as will some other bits and pieces. I'm I think being quite conservative and not over stretching myself whilst still maintaining some creativity in how I apply the systems.

ETA 2:
I'm pondering including parts of Doggerland in this to add some variety into the mix to save just making another Dutch AU.
I don't see any real problem here.

[Profile] [Quote]
jabba
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 21st, 2012, 1:28 am
While you're re-sculpting Europe, why don't you do everyone a favour and sink Essex. It's not big, it's not clever, and it's definitely not the only way! Just give me plenty of notice to get the fuck out of here first.

In all seriousness though, this looks like an interesting scenario, looking forward to seeing more...

[Profile] [Quote]
klagldsf
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 21st, 2012, 2:05 am
*ahem*

u mad? :P

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 21st, 2012, 8:53 am
By that logic I'd be flooding Liverpool and Newcastle too ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
pMASTER
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 22nd, 2012, 6:38 pm
Me likey!
Thanks for having me activated, by the way.

You know what I'd love to see? A bellicose Switzerland. Last year some right-wing groups with a not-so-small public backing proposed to "invite" the German state of Baden-Württemberg to join the Swiss Confederation as it shares a common heritage... You could use that as an example to portray Switzerland as an aggressor. Which would then try to invade France and battle with the Great Netherlands over the control for Paris. :ugeek:

[Profile] [Quote]
Blackbuck
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 22nd, 2012, 7:30 pm
That would be a more interesting situation than the Russo-Norwegian tensions I had originally envisaged though I'm not sure my Navy would be able to cross the alps...

[Profile] [Quote]
pMASTER
Post subject: Re: Ideas for flashpoints in a new AU?Posted: April 22nd, 2012, 7:37 pm
You'd be forced to land troops and proceed with dry feet sooner or later anyway. ;)

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 1 of 2  [ 13 posts ]  Return to “General Discussion” | Go to page 1 2 »

Jump to: