Moderator: Community Manager
[Post Reply] [*]  Page 3 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page « 1 2 3
Remko
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 4:35 pm
acelanceloet wrote:
your ship is not suitable for any other then VTOL aircraft! there is no traditional landing runway!
for the tasks you have in mind I think it is better to build 2 ships of half the size then this behemoth.

Well, the Wasp, Tarawa and America classes don't have a traditional landing runway... They are Amphibs after all... My CVN is a whole different ship, slightly larger, as it is a Trimaran design, so increased length and width, but more or less (probably more ;) ) the same draft as a Ford class carrier. To be honest, I've tried including an angled runway in a preliminary drawing, but the centerline superstructures are in the way.
acelanceloet wrote:
also: as said, the sylph isn't suitable for VTOL. look at all VTOL craft with rotating nozzles: they have large structures around the engines to reinforce that area. the sylph has NONE of that. making it larger isn't that good: it is already larger then most aircraft. on an aircraft carrier size matters.
Damn, I hadn't thought about the reinforced structure (size was obvious).
acelanceloet wrote:
for that '5.5 gen fighter' : it is called the chengdu PHOTOSHOP. :D they mixed in: yf-23, af/x, f-22, mig 1.44, JSF and some chinese designs. and I really worry about it's flyability.

I was afraid of that. Well, Saab JAS-45 it is then. 8-)

[Profile] [Quote]
TimothyC
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 5:32 pm
Remko wrote:
acelanceloet wrote:
your ship is not suitable for any other then VTOL aircraft! there is no traditional landing runway!
for the tasks you have in mind I think it is better to build 2 ships of half the size then this behemoth.

Well, the Wasp, Tarawa and America classes don't have a traditional landing runway... They are Amphibs after all... My CVN is a whole different ship, slightly larger, as it is a Trimaran design, so increased length and width, but more or less (probably more ;) ) the same draft as a Ford class carrier. To be honest, I've tried including an angled runway in a preliminary drawing, but the centerline superstructures are in the way.
acelanceloet wrote:
also: as said, the sylph isn't suitable for VTOL. look at all VTOL craft with rotating nozzles: they have large structures around the engines to reinforce that area. the sylph has NONE of that. making it larger isn't that good: it is already larger then most aircraft. on an aircraft carrier size matters.
Damn, I hadn't thought about the reinforced structure (size was obvious).
acelanceloet wrote:
for that '5.5 gen fighter' : it is called the chengdu PHOTOSHOP. :D they mixed in: yf-23, af/x, f-22, mig 1.44, JSF and some chinese designs. and I really worry about it's flyability.

I was afraid of that. Well, Saab JAS-45 it is then. 8-)
Just as a bit of reference, while I think you are getting on the right track (still a bit big, but not as bad as it was), I strongly recommend that you read This post on carriers and how they relate to amphibious assault ships, where I quote a former naval architect, defense analyst, and friend, Stuart Slade.

As Ace covered, that drawing looks like a mix of A/F-X, YF-23, and the J-20. Fifth gen fighters truly show convergent design evolution.

[Profile] [Quote]
Demon Lord Razgriz
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 7:05 pm
Just so you know Rem, the X-2 JHL has already been drawn in SB. Though not the ugly fan one.
[ img ]

As for that fighter, IIRC it was an early Chinese Fan Art of the J-XX.

Atlas V
Delta II/III
Project Constellation
Soyuz series

[Profile] [Quote]
Remko
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: January 2nd, 2011, 8:47 pm
TimothyC wrote:
[Just as a bit of reference, while I think you are getting on the right track (still a bit big, but not as bad as it was), I strongly recommend that you read This post on carriers and how they relate to amphibious assault ships, where I quote a former naval architect, defense analyst, and friend, Stuart Slade.
Thanks for the link, that was a very informative read. I never knew there were so much design aspects regarding catapults (among other things). I just assumed that the longer the cat, the faster the take-off speed was. I'll probably have som redesigning to do on my CVN now. :)

I do wonder what mr. Slade thinks about the Russian carriers, especially the Kuznetsov. It's large size and with a ski-jump, but wire landing (STOBAR), so it can launch heavy fixed wing strike aircraft (armed with Carrier killing supersonic anti-ship missiles) as well as having it's own heavy armament of anti-ship missiles (in the forward flightdeck). Although it's oficially an Aircraft Carrying Cruiser, similar to the (much smaller) Kiev class.
Demon Lord Razgriz wrote:
Just so you know Rem, the X-2 JHL has already been drawn in SB. Though not the ugly fan one.
[ img ]
Thanks, I knew it was around. I prefer this one as well, although the fan-version is probably safer. I have seen the Bell LCU(R) planing landing craft as well in SB style. That makes it a lot easier.

[Profile] [Quote]
KimWerner
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: February 5th, 2011, 12:57 am
Remko wrote:
Rhade wrote:
Quote:
"Northern European Union"

Interesting, say more about it.
The Norhern European Union originated from the present day EU. After he financial crisis, and the problems with the 'Southern' countries such as Spain, Portugal and Greece, the 'Northern' countries decided to take matters in to their own hand and abandon the Brussels-dominated EU. The Nothern Eropean Union consists of Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Finland), Denmark, Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Iceland and The Netherlands. They have again closed their borders to non-NEU nations, but have still good relations with France, Belgium, the United Kingdom, Japan and Israel.

Italy (with it's problematic leader Berlusconi) is almost completely ignored, while the southern countries struggle to restore their economy. The Balkan is again in a civil war, and is a threat to the security of the NEU.

The economy of he NEU on the other hand is booming. Thanks to breakthroughs in environmentally friendly power generation and nuclear waste disposal, as well as a leading authority in science the standard of living is higher than ever before.

The United States are a whole other story. After four years under the leadership of president Obama, another ultra-conservative Republican president rose to power. The national debt increased even more, and the economy was all but completely destroyed. The once proud nation is now on the brink of being a third world country, and has almost no meaning in Global Politics, the NEU has purchased many patents from the US, so hardware similar to Boeing, Bell-Textron, Lockheed-Martin and other companies is ow being developed in the NEU.

Russia is a little better, but still lacks freedom of press, and is still (unoficially) lead by Putin. Relations have improved however and there is a good deal of trade between the NEU and the Russian Federation.

Well, needless to say, the backgrond story still needs a lot of work, but this is more or less the base for my AU.

And yes, I know this is of topic. :D
Exciting thoughts, but I've had to correct you about the geografi: The term Scandinavia covers the countries of Norway, Sweden and Denmark but do not include Finland! The Nordic Countries are Scandinavia, Iceland, Finland and their connected countries (Greenland etc.) :ugeek:

All relevant Coat of Arms

[Profile] [Quote]
GLACIESFIRE
Post subject: Re: Ship sizes (AU/own designs)Posted: February 5th, 2011, 10:21 pm
Remko wrote:
Italy (with it's problematic leader Berlusconi) is almost completely ignored, while the southern countries struggle to restore their economy.
Thanks... ... ... ;)

OT :

I'm kidding,
but unfortunately in Italy, most of the people are more interested about the private live of Berlusconi than the real PROBLEMS of the Country...

: end OT

Sorry :(

[Profile] [Quote]
Display: Sort by: Direction:
[Post Reply]  Page 3 of 3  [ 26 posts ]  Return to โ€œGeneral Discussionโ€ | Go to page « 1 2 3

Jump to: